Is walking enough? At least for right now...

Options
In the summer and warm months, I tend to ride my bike everywhere. But now that it's constantly rainy and cold, it's not much fun, or safe because of the slick roads. So I've been thinking about walking as a way to at least keep moving in the colder months.

I'm not a big fan of exercise dvds and I don't own a tredmill or gym membership so walking is the only way I can think of to get moving. It is still cold, but I figure walking the half mile to the store is better than driving up. But I'm worried that just walking 40k steps or so a week won't really be enough. Can I get some opinions on this?

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    In the summer and warm months, I tend to ride my bike everywhere. But now that it's constantly rainy and cold, it's not much fun, or safe because of the slick roads. So I've been thinking about walking as a way to at least keep moving in the colder months.

I'm not a big fan of exercise dvds and I don't own a tredmill or gym membership so walking is the only way I can think of to get moving. It is still cold, but I figure walking the half mile to the store is better than driving up. But I'm worried that just walking 40k steps or so a week won't really be enough. Can I get some opinions on this?

you can burn alot of calories by taking long walks.

http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Any movement is excellent! Go for it!
  • minihearts
    Options
    I think it is..I burn at least 250 calories walking fast for 1 hr. doing that once in the morning and evening burns 500 calories. that's good enough for me and it's easy and low impact
    I started out with exercise dvds at first..omg. sore muscles everywhere and foot pain from jumping around.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    What don't you like about DVDs? What about the 'Walk Away the Pounds' series by Leslie Samsone?
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Any movement is good movement! Walking regularly is good. Way better than sitting on the couch or driving to the store...Just keep moving!
  • forwesgar13
    forwesgar13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Walking with a weight vest is great to they sell them at Walmart and they are around 25 bucks ! Great for extra burn days !
  • Amatambi
    Options
    What don't you like about DVDs? What about the 'Walk Away the Pounds' series by Leslie Samsone?

Well, there's a few things I don't like about them. I've tried a few different kinds, too. I've done Billy Blanks Tae Bo, a few different yoga ones, and 30ds.

It gets repetitive after a few days and I just get bored. The space in my living room also isn't very efficient to work out in, stuff everywhere shaking and falling, not to mention the people downstairs don't like the noise from the more upbeat ones.

It's mostly the repetitiveness that turns me away from dvds, I really don't like working out inside anyways, no matter what it is. I like fresh air and the sense of moving, hence the biking and walking. I actually get somewhere and can multitask while exercising. :D
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    depends on what your goals are

for weight loss you don;t need to do anything, just as long as you are eating less calorie than you burn

for body recomposition and to make sure you preserve muscle mass while you lose weight, you need exercise, especially weight bearing stuff like walking, running and weight training
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    walking is just fine. it's where i started back in feb of last year. but is there some reason you can't walk past your store and take a walk long enough to count? you're not fenced in, are you?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Walking is excellent exercise, if you go far enough for long enough. You have to get out and go. Walking is what helped me lose all my weight, but I walked for hours at a time, between 1 and 4 hours every single day.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If its all you really have then do it. Its a step in the right direction. Just keep building from there.
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 kg since March'12 solely by counting calories and walking. The walking has been a major factor for me.
    I'm not really motivated to exercise for exercises sake. So what I'v done is walk to the shops with a back pack to do the shopping. BUT... I don't just walk to the closest supermarket (only 8 minutes away). Instead, I walk to another shopping mall about 5 km away. It used to take almost 30 minutes one way at first. Then I got quicker as I gained fitness and lost weight. So I changed the route to keep it 25 - 30 minutes away. Frequently the weight of the back pack and the weather will affect the time it can take to get home.
    When I shop I only buy what I need for the next day or two. Doing this means I have to go 3x per week. Recently, on the odd occasion, I have been cycling there and taking a longer route to keep the duration around 60 minutes.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think it is but when you are ready you probably want to tone up with some wts
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Any movement is better than no movement at all. As for whether it is ENOUGH, that really depends on several factors:
    1. How much do you walk
    2. What is the terrain? Hilly burns more calories than level.
    3. How fast will you be walking? The faster the more burn
    4. What temperature will you be walking in? If it is really cold, you are likely to burn a few more calories than if it is comfortable

and most importantly...

5. What is your daily caloric intake?

If you can lose weight eating 1400 calories, then you can eat 1400 calories and do nothing else and you will lose weight. If you do any movement at all, you will find that you can eat a little more and still lose weight...

As for the other things, you may find that you are not that far from some of the things you mentioned... You don't own a treadmill or any exercise equipment and you don't have a gym membership... What my wife and I found was that when we joined the gym a few months back we actually SAVED MONEY... We had more money BECAUSE even though we were paying $70 per month for the gym membership, we were not doing other things we were spending money on ... $10 per stop at a convenience store adds up fast. Our meals became less expensive when we stopped eating the more expensive items on the menu (because we were watching what we ate more...).. Before we realized it we were spending $70 per month for gym membership but saving $150 in incidentals (or more)... It is all about perspective and priority.

Best wishes on your journey.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Have you considered jogging? It burns a lot more calories than walking. I'm a new runner but I luv it. Ran my 1st 5k last month and my next one is in a couple weeks. Once you start you'll be hooked! I hope to do a 10k by the end of 2013. You can do it too!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great way to start. You know the expression "you have to walk before you can run"? Well, its true. You can burn plenty of calories and get to a good baseline of fitness by walking. I suspect eventually you will want more, but it is an excellent start! Especially if you like it.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    It's my main exercise, I love walking, especially by the coast.

Summer in Brisbane isn't conducive to anything more vigorous anyway.

A bit of bodyweight resistance stuff helps me maintain muscle too.

The only place I move faster is on a cricket pitch, and long may that be so ;)
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Walking is fantastic, but I find I have to walk for a LONG time to burn a decent number of calories (eg 2 hours). Great for toning up the legs and butt, too!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I only walk, no gym or other stuff. Like Yani51 I have a backpack and walk to shops, so I have weight addition on return journey with my shopping loaded, no need for a weight vest.

I just buy what will fit in my pack and mostly go daily, but if pouring rain I give it a miss that day

Walking just for pleasure is fine exercise, fresh air, things to see on your travels, and round here I now meet similar minded people walking, so a "good morning" from them always helps the day along
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    remember weight loss happens in the kitchen not in a gym. walking is great exercise and will help your overall health. any movement is good for you.