The best city to live?

Options
I'm moving - that's all that I know. I've been stuck on moving to Chicago for no real reason other than the fact that I went to college there and know people, but I was recently offered a promotion that would require a move to Atlanta ... my family is all in Washington state and I've got a job opportunity there that I'm not super passionate about ... I'm tempted to try out Texas because I hate the winter ... I'm all over the place.

In your opinion - what's the best city to live, and why?

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    That's the most subjective question ever!
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I am kind of partial to San Diego. Best weather in the US and we get it 365 days a year. We are also within 2 hours of skiing in the mountains. So you can actually surf and ski in the same day (did that actually a week ago). The downside is it is expensive to live here (sunshine factor), but the people are incredibly nice, the city isnt uptight and stressful like most big cities....so I am a bit biased since I have been here over 25 years. Good luck in your decision!
  • emilykg12
    emilykg12 Posts: 119
    Options
    Of course! Because I'm asking for your opinion.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I always like Vancouver. Move there!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Miami, worked in Boston, lived in NYC and London but the best city I've lived in so far is San Fran. Great food, great wine, progressive politics and culture, great art and culture AND you are 3 hours from snow one way and 3 hours from a desert in the other. I've been here 1 1/2 half and I never want to leave!
  • emilykg12
    emilykg12 Posts: 119
    Options
    I always like Vancouver. Move there!

It depends ... BC or Washington?
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I live in Chicago. It's cold. I mean suicidal cold and dark. I second San Diego. I lived there for 3 years and will eventually go back. I loved it and only left to be closer to family.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Southern California, particularly the San Diego area would be my pick for US city.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Hard to say, really. I lived in Atlanta for a about a decade and really enjoyed it. The food is fantastic.

I lived in New York for a few years and loved it. Lots of culture, the work was amazing and the night life incredible.

I love Orlando and Miami. Florida weather is so comfortable and I prefer the beach to just about anything else.

It really depends on you. What do you enjoy doing? Live close to that.
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend Nashville. The nightlife is 7 days a week in Nashville. It has all of the amenities a much larger metro has, but has a certain community feel to it. It's also full of people whom have also relocated, so it's easy to develop a new network of friends. There is SO much world-class entertainment there as well. I think you would really love it. It also has a relatively mild climate.
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Not where I live...ugh talk about tiny town with nothing to do even though I live in SoCal! Just not a cool area :grumble:

What about Denver? I went there over the summer and loved it! I'm not sure how cold the winters can get though...
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    If you can, I highly recommend moving overseas and experiencing something entirely different. I wish I had done this before I started grad school and a family. Many of my friends spent a year living in another country, and none regretted it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I live in SoCal, but I would suggest Texas. Dallas specifically. It is a gorgeous city and the state as a whole has a favorable climate for businesses, no state income tax, and reasonable housing costs in areas surrounding the city.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm biased but I absolutely adore Boston

Tons of really cool history in this city, each neighborhood has it's own distinct feel and population, it's small enough that you feel bonded to other but large enough that you have a number of types of neighborhoods to choose from depending on income,style, age etc

We've got awesome sports towns, greats bars, fantastic food, we have beaches, boating, skiing close to the city, Fenway Park, some of the best colleges in the country, some of the best hospitals in the country...

Born and rasied here and damn proud to be from here. Everyone I've known whose moved here, stays here, for the most part!
  • flab2steel
    Options
    San Antonio Texas. The weather is great the people are friendly and with the huge oil/gas field boom (Eagle Ford Shale)an hour south of here there is a lot of opportunity for work.
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    Chicago
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Pick the one where you're passionate about work OR close to loved ones. Weather doesn't matter that much.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    In North America San Diego is by far the best. but it comes at a high price.
  • kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My husband and I lived in Nashville for a year- hated it. We moved to Denver and it's AWESOME! We enjoy 300 days of sunshine, very active lifestyles in general here (biking, snow sports, hiking, running, etc.), very diverse, healthy food options abound. It's gorgeous here with the Rockes as a backdrop.

And it's not super expensive.

LOVE DENVER!
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    I'm planning to move to New York to be closer to my fiancé. Definitely excited because it's "the city that never sleeps" ;)