Tips on reducing wine consumption?

Options
Hi All,
Just joined, lost weight on every diet going and am now heaviest ever! I love wine and have got into the habit of drinking every night, any tips on cutting this out, cold turkey or cutting down. I don't go overboard but know it is not a great thing for my diet! Been down recently as husband lost job which is probably why I have got into this habit instead of the healthy ones! Jo

Replies

• dinellelou
    Options
    That is hard! Cabernet is the healthiest. Maybe reduce to half a glass and plug ur cals in before you pour? Good luck friend!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    make spritzers. half wine half soda water
  • mAnimalMX
    Options
    i stopped drinking wine when I looked up the calories in it. omg.
    Also, try switching to early morning cardio and notice that you feel drowsy and sluggish, maybe it'll kick you in the *kitten* and make you drink less at night
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i don't understand the question
  • bonifachi
    bonifachi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    when I drink wine, I measure it out.
    generic red wine is about 80 cals for 100mls. It seriously helps to know how much you are consuming.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    surely (unless you're an alcoholic) the answer to drinking less wine is to just drink less wine. have water. or a nice cup of tea (i'm english).
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Check out AA...it's not a 'diet' problem.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    I'm confused myself......thinking about incorporating more red wine into my diet actually. But all in all, if your counting calories, just don't go over.......
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    i don't understand the question
    I'm confused myself......thinking about incorporating more red wine into my diet actually. But all in all, if your counting calories, just don't go over.......

What they said. Log everything into MFP. See where you are at in your calorie goals and macros. Unless you have a drinking problem, working wine in should be okay.
  • joanneaugust
    joanneaugust Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yes I have worked out the calories and will cut down that way so it is within my allowance. I am so all or nothing which is why I always put the weight back on! Good lucy with your training for the half marathon. I finally got back to the gym today!
    Jo
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Damn now i feel like a glass of red wine!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    When opening a bottle of wine, don't throw away the cork
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    surely (unless you're an alcoholic) the answer to drinking less wine is to just drink less wine. have water. or a nice cup of tea (i'm english).

this!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I think that it helps to buy a wine box rather than bottles, so that you don't feel obliged to finish off a bottle before it goes "off". Having a hot drink to sip helps as well (decaffienated tea/coffee, or one of those low-cal hot chocolates).
  • LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I enjoy sipping wine while we are entertaining, but no matter how hard I try to slow down, my version of "sipping" is closer to drinking.

So, I've learned to pour 1 part wine to 2 parts diet soda (diet ginger ale works well). After 6 glasses, I've only consumed two portions of wine.

Sometimes I alternate with a glass of only diet ginger ale.

I've always enjoyed sipping wine while I cook, but a good part of that seems to be the motions, because I've found that straight diet soda in a wine glass can be a good substitute.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I started mixing diet sprite with it, 50/50. That way if I really wanted a glass of wine, it wasn't full calories.
  • dinellelou
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks everyone!
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Get smaller glasses, make them into spritzers, and avoid the alcohol aisle at the supermarket...
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    AA
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Drink vodka instead.