Popcorn Lovers

Options
Sooooo I absolutely LOVE going to the movies and its generally for the popcorn! How in the world do I say no, or reduce the amount when the smell is so intoxicating. I would have done perfect yesterday if I wouldn't have ate it. I did however, NOT get the bucket, I got a large instead. I guess I could have gone smaller. Also I didn't get butter or salt which I generally heap on. It is a little discouraging however that I my popcorn alone was over 1000 calories. Any advice?

Replies

• 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I bring my own snacks to the movie theater. Or I get my daughter the kids pack and just have a handful of hers :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sooooo I absolutely LOVE going to the movies and its generally for the popcorn! How in the world do I say no, or reduce the amount when the smell is so intoxicating. I would have done perfect yesterday if I wouldn't have ate it. I did however, NOT get the bucket, I got a large instead. I guess I could have gone smaller. Also I didn't get butter or salt which I generally heap on. It is a little discouraging however that I my popcorn alone was over 1000 calories. Any advice?

buy yourself a single serving bag instead of a LARGE!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I can't justify paying $10 for popcorn.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I bring my own snacks to the movie theater. Or I get my daughter the kids pack and just have a handful of hers :)

^^ this is what I do...I take my own!
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i thought popcorn was a good snack ? obviously not a bucketful :)
  • Deebautista
    Deebautista Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Pop some at home and take it in a large ziploc bag. 1/4 cup popped in oil is only 150 calories and makes a nice size bowl. I LOVE popcorn but there's no way I would waste 1000+ calories on it!
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    pop a 100 calorie bag of popcorn and take it in your purse. That way when it is gone....you tell yourself you are done.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    i thought popcorn was a good snack ? obviously not a bucketful :)

Air popped, PLAIN popcorn is a good snack--when made at home with an air popper. At the theater, they pop it in GALLONS of coconut oil, and then cover it in fake butter. So, even if you order it w/o butter, it's still popped in a great deal of oil.

Great article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/popcorn/

Even the small popcorn has nearly 700 calories, and 24 grams of JUST saturated fat.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I love movies and usually take my own snacks. Popcorn....I pop mine in a brown paper bag in the microwave. Put a little Mortons Lite salt on it and away I go.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I make my own popcorn at home with my air popper. Some garlic salt, a little olive oil.
    It's so good I rarely want popcorn elsewhere.
  • Sweatinglikeapigtolooklikeafox
    Options
    I take my own.
    I found a new popcorn on the market called Propercorn and it is the best I have ever had.
    Planning on getting a bag when I go Cinema later
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i can eat it without sugar and dont like it with salt .... i think i might pop to shop and make some of my own now :)
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    At AMC theaters they posted the calorie count at the snack station and a small popcorn was only 410 calories. I shared that with my boyfriend (so only 205) and drank a water. It was yummy!
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Do you have Skinny Pop in your area? Hands down, it's my favorite popcorn...they have 100 calorie bags, or just buy a big bag and put a serving (3.5 cups for 130 calories) in your purse. It doesn't taste like you're missing out on anything (except the butter, but I'm telling you that you won't miss it)...Give it a try!
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I make the popcorn at home and bring it with me
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I too go for the popcorn! I learned to get the kids pack! This was waaaayyy before MFP and calorie counting. I did it for financial reasons! It works! Dont sweat it! Look at it as a small victory-you didnt't get the bucket, right? So, next time get the medium! I think not having butter and salt was a great accomplishment! Dont think I could have done it! So see, you did good. Take it from an old timer like myself!:laugh:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    It's ok to splurge every now and then, as long as you don;t feel guilty. Guilt leads to emotional eating. Just know that you will have to work harder to burn those cals off.

You are only human and as humans we need little things to make us feel better.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    When I remember, I air pop my own. Carry it in my purse in a baggy. No shame here.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a popular franchise movie theatre...the popcorn was popped DAYS beforehand and kept in clear plastic garbage bags in what they called "the popcorn room"

After seeing that, I never had the desire to eat movie theatre popcorn again.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I also make mine at home with an air popper and experiment with new toppings. My current favorite is Frank's Red Hot and a little salt. Yum!

Don't deny yourself popcorn. Just make it a little healthier.