First day 1.4 lbs down

Options
After eating right after one day, lost 1.4 lbs. I think my body was in shock after the junk I consumed during the holidays. I started my day with an hour of aerobic exercise. I am glad I found this board, I need the motivation! Thanks all and have a great day!

Replies

• pottsy71
    pottsy71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be careful about how you "measure" your weight. It's not possible to lose 1.4 lbs of fat in one day (remember its 10 calories per 1g of fat) - so most likely the "weight loss" was water AND fat. I'm not saying this to put you on a downer, only that when you weigh yourself tomorrow and you've added weight, that shouldn't be a bad thing either. I'd recommend only weighing yourself every 5 days or so...
  • Jerri11
    Jerri11 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you! I plan to weigh once a week going forward. I just couldn't resist this morning!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Losing that first chunk of water weight can be great encouragement. Good work and keep it up!
  • SuzieBikiniBound
    SuzieBikiniBound Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Always nice to have some immediate encouragement!
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Just be careful not to let it get to your head. Like Tizzy said, it's water weight. It might bounce right back up in a few days whether or not you're sticking to your diet or exercise regimen. I weigh every day, actually, but I track it on an online program so that I can see trends and don't get caught up in the day to day stuff. However, congrats on your loss and I hope that it jumpstarts you to get in shape! :)
  • mhcoss
    mhcoss Posts: 220
    Options
    its water weight man.. just measure once a week and remember slow and steady wins the race.
  • tcleavinger
    tcleavinger Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not possible really?!?! Says who? When you just start losing weight it's not unusual to drop it like that. You've made huge calorie deficits. Own that 1.4 lbs. that's great!!!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Not possible really?!?! Says who? When you just start losing weight it's not unusual to drop it like that. You've made huge calorie deficits. Own that 1.4 lbs. that's great!!!

They're not saying it's not possible to lose 1.4lbs. They're saying that it's most likely mostly water weight and is impossible for it to be all fat. And I'd have to agree.
  • Jerri11
    Options
    Thanks all, I know my journey is longgggggggggggggggggg, it took a long time to grow this behind of mine, it's not going to melt overnight. I do feel good from working out this morning and from eating right... looking forward to small victories that equate to one big one!
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Celebrate all the victories big and small
    Hooray for working out
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Hahaha. Says science. Fat loss that is. That's a deficit of over 5,000 calories in a day. Lol.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Good for you...you can get a patent if you perfect how to do that multiple days in a row. :happy:

Rapid weight loss is real. Many MFP members have experienced it, I've experienced it and my family members have too. Maybe not 1.4 pounds a day but you'd be surprised (any haters will get a copy of my weight loss charts, I don't play). Unfortunately rapid weight gain is also real. I've seen just as much of that.
  • cnash1303
    Options

Hahaha. Says science. Fat loss that is. That's a deficit of over 5,000 calories in a day. Lol.

that is a deficit of 3250 actually. 5000 would be two pounds. Still unlikely. That said, "water weight" is losing THE WATER HELD IN YOUR FAT CELLS, so technically speaking you would still be looking thinner. That is a common misconception.
  • Jerri11
    Options
    Thank you - and congrats on your success!
  • annasara21
    annasara21 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ignore pepeple arguing about the science, well done you! Great boost to start your journey :)
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options

that is a deficit of 3250 actually. 5000 would be two pounds. Still unlikely. That said, "water weight" is losing THE WATER HELD IN YOUR FAT CELLS, so technically speaking you would still be looking thinner. That is a common misconception.

To be completely accurate 1lb=453.6 grams Fat is 9 calories per gram. So each pound of fat burned requires 4082 calories of deficit. MFP uses an average of 3500 per lb assuming that you will be burning some of the carbs you injest and some muscle loss.

That being said Congratulations to the OP. I have found that the initial losses always stick if you stick with it :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!