What to do with Tilapia.

Options

Replies

• JenG_2011
    JenG_2011 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My boys do not like fishy-tasting fish, so I've stuck with Tilapia and found this great, sweet recipe on Allrecipes.com

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/coconut-tilapia-with-apricot-dipping-sauce/detail.aspx

They love it and ask for fish now.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you are a parent that has decided to act like a parent and make nutritional decisions for your child!!! I don't know about hiding it, but if she likes other fish my favorite way to cook tilapia is on the grill wrapped in foil with some bacon and onion...bacon and tilapia are just heaven together...you can do it in the oven too, or in a pan, but on the grill tastes the very best!
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this. If you didn't wish to eat something, would you want someone to hide it in your food?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Because when you are a parent you are responsible for seeing your children get appropriate nutrition, even if they don't want to cooperate with the process.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Use a better fish the Tilapia. Yuck

Tilapia is NOT my favorite fish or even in the top 5 of favorite fish. But, I grew up in a Catholic household, in the Southwest, where Lent brought fish Fridays. My mom would deep fry the WHOLE Tilapia and that's generally how we always had it.

Tilapia is really only good deep fried and chased with a Corona.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    And to those saying Tilapia is crap fish (LOL not sure what defines a crap fish)...

...You can even have a fish farm in your backyard...

Unless you are farming the tilapia in your own backyard, I'm not sure you would want to eat it... One of the companies with whom my husband does business also runs a tilapia farm... And the reason they are called "crap fish" is because that is what they eat.
  • tashiaberman
    tashiaberman Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't know how old your daughter is or if she is able to be reasoned with, but there may be a reason she was sickened. Be sure to check and see if the talapia is fresh caught in this country or farm raised in China. In China many of the fish farms are not much more than fish raised in filthy sewer-like water. I refuse to eat fish whose origin is China. Perhaps this is what sickened her.

If it is fresh caught, instead of tricking her and hiding it, ask her to see if she can tell the difference between the talapia and perhaps flounder. Otherwise, just opt for flounder as an alternative. It is a good tasting, relatively affordable fish.

If you try to trick her and it's not an allergy or intolerance to the fish itself, it could be psychosomatic and she could become physically ill upon finding that she has been fooled -- not to speak of the trust issues involved.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    personally, I don't see the issue... I mean she want to know if it is a mind trick or a real allergy. If a child had it there way, their food would be nothing but cookies, ice cream, Katchup or cheese drenched. If a real allergy then it is something, they need to see a doctor about, cause a lot of foods are made with fish bits. And if it is a mind trick, would it be fair to have the parent make 2-3 meals, each meal, just because a spoiled brat? Sorry, I side with the mom here, just with the warning to have the phone ready just in case.

As for me, I normally just have tilapia with lemon salt and chives with baked french fries. Apologize for not being more helpful.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Because when you are a parent you are responsible for seeing your children get appropriate nutrition, even if they don't want to cooperate with the process.
    this responsibility can be taken care of without trickery which is great because then you are also teaching kindness and compassion for others.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    In what universe do children suffer from malnutrition because they don't eat tilapia? Is it really that difficult as a parent to find foods that are nutritious for your children AND they like? It is not a parent's job to avoid being inconvenienced by the existence of their kids. You sound like my parents, who also tried to force me to eat cooked carrots when they knew I hated them but I would eat a whole bag of raw carrots, and they were coming out of our fridge as raw carrots.

As for the people who don't understand what I was saying above, for some of us (or at the very least me) putting food in my mouth, chewing it, and swallowing it is a very intimate thing. Having someone else seize control over that is as bad as someone else forcibly taking control over what goes in or out of my butt. Maybe you don't feel that way (and if so I'm sorry that you miss out on much of the real joy of eating) but some of us do. It doesn't mean because we're all different that there must be something wrong with everyone who isn't like you and it's your job to force, trick, or manipulate your kids into being just like you in every way including food preferences. Is it really that hard to see how it's similar (in kind but not degree) to trying to manipulate your child's sexual preference?

That is a big part of why I was such a picky eater as a kid, combined with the fact that I was extremely sensitive to the bitter elements in most green veggies, it was the taste equivalent of looking at the sun. My body reacted to much of that stuff (peas, gren beans, lima beans) like it was poison, with a gag reflex. Somehow I managed to survive a childhood of not eating piles of vegetables without being malnourished. Somehow my kids are also doing just fine without eating a bunch of that stuff too. They don't eat cake and cookies and crap, either. To suggest those are the only two options is a false dichotomy.
  • runnstream
    Options
    Looks like a great recipe. Thanks for sharing. I will be trying it tonight with my family. :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    goes in or out of my butt.

tell me more
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    luckily, my son (15) loves fish so i don't have this battle. i cook tilapia very simply...a little olive oil in the pan, add fresh onions and mushrooms and cook a little. add the fish, season with season salt, and then cover the whole thing with chopped cabbage. throw a lid on it and let it all cook together. absolutely delicious, but we're cabbage fans.

have come to LOVE barramundi, too. prefer it much more than tilapia. make it exactly the same way.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Just remember; do not make eye contact with him.....
    What would be so bad about talking to your kid and treating her like a human being? Do you really think that little of her? Obviously she is old enough to use her experience to infer an abstract causal connection between tilapia and getting sick. Would it really hurt you, or her, to say, "I realize that you think tilapia is what made you sick, but it's also possible that it was a coincidence and something else actually made you sick, and I think you might miss out on some good foods by not eating it. It's possible to find out by, on two different days, giving you two different dishes. One with tilapia, the other with a different type of fish. You might get sick again if tilapia really is the cause, but then at least you'd know for sure. And if it isn't, then you could enjoy other foods that you might have missed." (Then you would give her the non-tilapia first and see if there's a placebo effect, and if there is, show her that she really didn't eat tilapia and you could also break *that* spell in the process without risking making everything even worse and giving her issues she could carry into her twenties.)

You could also use the opportunity, if she is actually that young, to explain with examples how and why the whole idea that, "it followed therefore it is because of" is a flawed way of thinking and use the whole thing as a positive learning experience.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    *secretly hides tilapia in all of your lunch* :devil:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Hey I just read a "scientific" article saying that eating tilapia is worse than bacon! So theres your answer hide bacon in her food. She will love you for all the bacony goodness you bestow upon her.

MMMMMM bacon the new tilapia. Bacon is the other white meat, right?

http://www.draxe.com/eating-tilapia-is-worse-than-eating-bacon/
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Just remember; do not make eye contact with him.....
    What would be so bad about talking to your kid and treating her like a human being? Do you really think that little of her? Obviously she is old enough to use her experience to infer an abstract causal connection between tilapia and getting sick. Would it really hurt you, or her, to say, "I realize that you think tilapia is what made you sick, but it's also possible that it was a coincidence and something else actually made you sick, and I think you might miss out on some good foods by not eating it. It's possible to find out by, on two different days, giving you two different dishes. One with tilapia, the other with a different type of fish. You might get sick again if tilapia really is the cause, but then at least you'd know for sure. And if it isn't, then you could enjoy other foods that you might have missed." (Then you would give her the non-tilapia first and see if there's a placebo effect, and if there is, show her that she really didn't eat tilapia and you could also break *that* spell in the process without risking making everything even worse and giving her issues she could carry into her twenties.)

You could also use the opportunity, if she is actually that young, to explain with examples how and why the whole idea that, "it followed therefore it is because of" is a flawed way of thinking and use the whole thing as a positive learning experience.

Cmon man, give it up, you lost all credibility with your transvestite remark. LOL GAWD that was original!
  • mamamia05
    mamamia05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I make a killer sauce with coconut milk, lime and curry. I then broil the Tilapia in the oven with salt, pepper and olive oil.
    When the tilapia is cooked I spoon the sauce on it and serve with either spinach or asparagus. Yum. Even my kids love it.

this sounds amazing!!!! trying it asap, thanks!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Cmon man, give it up, you lost all credibility with your transvestite remark. LOL GAWD that was original!
    1- That was obvious hyperbole. I must have forgotten about Poe's Law. My bad.

2- The latter was not based on my credibility, unless you are incapable of evaluating for yourself whether or not that course of action is reasonable. Your use of ad hominem as a defense mechanism, to avoid considering whether a different course of action might be better than your first plan and spare your ego, is duly noted. :P