Want to start running

Options
So, I want to start running. I know its winter and cold and icky outside, but I have a gym membership and was going to start running on either the track or treadmill. Any suggestions for someone who is just starting out? I dont want to start too strong and hurt myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    go low and slow. Move at your own pace, you're not running any one else's race but your own. I'd suggest using something like a "couch to 5k" program, there are lots out there. It basically gives you a guide of how much to run, how many times a week. I did a "Learn to Run" program at my local running room. Basically, the first week, you run one minute, then walk one, for a cycle of 5. Increase your time by one minute each week (run two, walk one, the next week, run three, walk one), keep your time at about 15 - 30 minutes each time.
  • countrygal2004
    countrygal2004 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I used the Couch to 5K app on my iPhone when I started running and I really enjoyed it. It starts you out with a 5 minute warm up, jog 1 minute, walk 1 1/2 mins and repeat for 20 mins then cool down for 5 mins. From there it works you up to running a 5K run over 9 weeks. There are probably several different ones but I like the Active.com one. Here's the link http://www.active.com/mobile/c25k .

There are running groups on here too that you can join as well.

Good luck on your journey.
  • Kasaya20
    Options
    2 things I would advice - 1) go to a local running store and get fitted for proper shoes, this is truly important! Make sure it is a good and reputable running store 2) Start slow and build up over time. Do not concentrate on distance or speed at the moment, you just want to do your workout and finish it feeling nice and strong. Read this article from Runners World that has a 8-week beginners program for you to follow. If you follow this and stick to it you will reap the benefits. http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/8-week-beginners-program?page=single

Good luck and don't give up! Running is awesome :happy:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've always heard great things about the Couch to 5K program.

As for running at the gym I prefer the elliptical and the arc trainer.

Easier on the knees.
  • Connie_Cupcake
    Options
    I used the Couch to 5K app on my iPhone when I started running and I really enjoyed it. It starts you out with a 5 minute warm up, jog 1 minute, walk 1 1/2 mins and repeat for 20 mins then cool down for 5 mins. From there it works you up to running a 5K run over 9 weeks. There are probably several different ones but I like the Active.com one. Here's the link http://www.active.com/mobile/c25k .

There are running groups on here too that you can join as well.

Good luck on your journey.

This!!
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest getting fitted for good running shoes!!
    I'm going to be honest. I didn't really like C25K. When I first started it was to much. I was soooooo out of shape, and I couldn't keep up. So what I did was run 100 steps, the walk 100 steps. I would repeat the over and over. When I felt better. I would add more running steps.
    On NYE I ran my 11 5K. Finished in 31:53. I ran the entire race.

Good luck! You can add me if you like.
  • Connie_Cupcake
    Options
    I've always heard great things about the Couch to 5K program.

As for running at the gym I prefer the elliptical and the arc trainer.

Easier on the knees.

I have bad knees but the way C25K eases you in I have had nothing but luck
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Start with intervals. Like, tell yourself you'll run for 2 minutes, walk for 2, run for 2, etc. Even if you can do more, stick to a specific interval for a week, then build up the time you run. Don't focus too much on pace at first. Do what feels comfortable for you.

Proper shoes are important, as someone else mentioned.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    if you're on a track use a program like C25K. I started out on a treadmill and it was fine, low and slow is definitely great advice, remember that all of us started at zero as well and any amount of running over what you're currently doing is a huge accomplishment! I started by running as long as I could and then walking for the rest of my half our on the treadmill, then the next time I got on trying to beat how much I'd run by just one more minute of running. My first attempt I think I managed a whopping 5 minutes of running before I wanted to die! HAHA but it worked well, within 2 weeks I was up to 17 minutes straight and that's when the endorphins start to kick in :wink: If you're planning to graduate to road running do yourself a favour and add a minor incline to your treadmill while you go- it will help with the transition.

My only other advice is when the roads clear up get out there and pound the pavement, running outside is infinitely more rewarding than treadmill running IMO! (Even at -30 which is what my lunchtime run was today! brr!!)
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Start slow and easy. I don't know your fitness level at this point but maybe try hopping on the treadmill and walking for .25-mile and then jog (5-5.5 mph) for a .25-mile and switch off doing that for a mile and see how you feel afterwards and the next day. If you feel great, then try increasing the running a bit and decreasing the walking.

Definitely go easy. And make sure you have good shoes for your feet/running form/stride -- that's definitely important.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K program several years ago and can't speak highly enough about it.

I agree about the shoes being SO IMPORTANT, however if you're like me you probably don't know if you want to fork over $100+ for running shoes until you know you're going to stick with it. Running shoes were my reward for finishing the program :)
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kasaya20, get good shoes!!! They can really make the difference, and are worth the money.
    I did the Couch to 5k app and loved it. I couldn't run a solid block without dying when I first started, and I'm now training for my first marathon!!
    You can do it girl!!!
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I started running on December 5th and I could barely run two minutes let alone a mile. I started on c25k (couch to 5k) and I did it every day over my lunch break. I'm on Week 5 and I'll tell you something. It's hard. But it's supposed to be hard. If it were easy, everyone would do it. It's one of the most challenging and one of the most rewarding things I've ever had to endure. I recommend getting a decent pair of running shoes. Go to a specialty store where they'll monitor your gait and such. Buy online the model they're pushing or last year's model if money's an issue. Keep it mind that it's supposed to be taxing and exhausting and do it as often as you can. I did it every day on my lunch break but I took days off when I felt it was absolutely necessary.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Like most people have said so far. Start off with getting some good shoes. You should also try the couch to 5 K plan. It gets you from not running to running a 5K. It will take some time. As long as you take it slow and keep at it, you will be able to become a runner.
  • danabrash
    Options
    Intervals! Sounds like that's what C25k is doing, but basically just alternate running and walking, one minute each or so. Do it for 20-30 minutes and that's all you have to do. Don't worry about mileage, speed, anything. Be happy and satisfied with where you start and that you've started.

Breathe! Running is meditative for me. Get the rhythm of breath and step going.

People asked me how I started running, and I honestly answered I put my shoes on and went outside. That was the hardest part for me: just following through on the commitment.

+1 on getting fitted for comfortable shoes.

Good luck. Running has moved from painful torture to a pleasurable (and still challenging) experience. One foot in front of the other.
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I started jogging doing the C25k program and it was a great way to get into it! I agree with everyone who says to get some properly fitted running shoes too.

Also, a friend of mine told me that when using the treadmill, to bump the incline up a level - that helps condition you for when you are finally jogging outside. That said, I really like exercising outside - I always find my overall time is faster on pavement!
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! Before you know it, it'll make you all badass and confident and you'll be addicted. Just stay away from running!

haha. I did a free C25K program from coolrunning.com. I started it in June. Now I run 4 days/week. Usually 3 miles. Sometimes a hair more, sometimes a hair less. Don't do more than what the program says. Just do it as it's laid out to avoid injury.

Go to a running store so they can tell you how you stride and what type of shoes to buy.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am a C25K grad! I loved it. I repeated many weeks but I ran two 5k's. Take it slow and try to run outside atleast once a week. This is the advice I got from my PT. I ran almost 100% inside on the treadmill. My 5K's outside messed up my knee.

Edited to say: I messed up my knee by not running outside. My lack of training for the hills (stopping/slowing/going) during my races caused a knee in injury.
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Do the C25k program and use the track. So much better than the treadmill! Don't feel the need to run a marathon on day one. Just take it slow. It will get there. At this point, you have nothing but time.