Can anyone recommend good cold weather running gear?

Options
Hi All,

So its starting to get really cold out here in NYC and I have noticed that I have not been too excited to run because of it! I would like to get the proper running gear for the cold weather. The temperature right now is about 25 degrees and will most likely continue to drop. Can anyone recommend good running pants, top, hat, gloves, and anything else I should get? I would also like it to not be too expensive as I will most likely have to buy more of this gear once I hit my target weight of 180. Thanks guys and Happy New Year!

Replies

• llevatela
    Options
    bump?
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Under Armor has awesome cold weather gear. The key is to layer though so when it's 20s or below, I use a wicking shirt with a fleece pullover or jacket, UA gloves and hat. Legs, I use just normal running pants and if it's really miserable, some sort of long johns suitable for skiing.

I will add that it's going to be expensive, but just think of it as an investment in your health ;)
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I run (in snow) with UA Cold Weather pants / shirt + t-shirt, running shirt and depending on how cold, a turtle neck. Cotton gloves Neckwarmer and wool hat as well. Plenty warm for a 10 mile run if the wind isn't too bad. The UA pants/shirt were $50 each though, so may or may not fit your current needs.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Under Armor has awesome cold weather gear. The key is to layer though so when it's 20s or below, I use a wicking shirt with a fleece pullover or jacket, UA gloves and hat. Legs, I use just normal running pants and if it's really miserable, some sort of long johns suitable for skiing.

I will add that it's going to be expensive, but just think of it as an investment in your health ;)

^^This! I use Under Armor cold weather gear, and it works perfectly for me.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I just bought some underarmor cold weather running stuff from TJ Maxx, believe it or not, at ridiculous discount. If you really want to do it on the cheap, throw on some long underwear and sweatpants. Lightweight cotton gloves. If you don't care about being a fashion plate, just put on warmer clothes!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I don't think brand is especially important (in case that's part of the question)- I use a mix, under armor, asics, nike.

Head - Hat and head band - sometimes you don't need a full hat but you want your ears covered
    Hands - thin, breathable
    Top- Long sleeve wicking shirt, short sleeve wicking shirt, long sleeve regular top, long sleeve light jacket, long sleeve hooded jacket
    Bottom - tight leggings, long sweats
    Feet- don't be afraid to wear 2 pairs of socks.

Mix and match as appropriate to how you feel, you'll start to gauge how much you need by temp.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Champion makes a line of cold weather running gear for Target. It's called C9 - and it's similar to Under Armour Cold Gear, but about half the price. I know it's not quite as good as the "real stuff", but it works for me. Keeps me warm and dry - and we are currently at 20-25 degrees every day (Indiana).

When I get to goal weight, I'll invest in some Under Armour. But, the knock-off is good for now.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Under Armor has awesome cold weather gear. The key is to layer though so when it's 20s or below, I use a wicking shirt with a fleece pullover or jacket, UA gloves and hat. Legs, I use just normal running pants and if it's really miserable, some sort of long johns suitable for skiing

^This

You can get off brands of under armor style gear at Walmart that works just as well (I have some that I got at Wally World sold under the Starter brand name and it works just fine). I would say at minimum a cold gear long sleeve shirt and running tights. Put those on first and then add layers over as suggested. This way it will wick away the sweat but the additional layers will provide extra warmth. For running I usually just go with shorts over running tights and then a sweatshirt over the cold gear shirt. I've got a great pair of Nike Therma-Fit gloves that are great for running too. They keep your hands warm when needed but still breath and aren't too bulky to get your hands all sweaty. Finally I usually top it off with a head band or knit hat. I usually prefer the headband though so things again don't get over heated once I start running. The headband lets my head "vent" but keeps my ears warm.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yeah really depends. I Got and ran Saturday and it was about 25 degrees. I layered with a under armour t shirt, a long sleeve wicking shirt that has some fleece underneath, a thin new balance pull over with fleece and a fleece pull over. I wore some new balance wind breaker type running pants and a fleece hat, generic fleece gloves. The 1st 10 minutes it felt like the wind was too much and my feet were a little numb but after that, I was sweating and thought I over dressed. I'm still trying to find that balance.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bump. Saving for later. :)
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    I just layer whatever I have. Sweat pants. Long johns. Hats. Gloves. I dont care what I look like. I just like to be WARM!!!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    MN runner here. I ran yesterday in 16 degrees. morning its usually in the negative. my fav outfit ive mastered thus far. bottom to top: yak tracks running snow thingys, normal asics running shoes, 2 pairs of good running socks. my long yoga pants (which will be swapped out for warmer running technical tights/ pants. nike compression shorts under those, no undies, then on top ive got a sports boob holder, cotton t shirt and a nike zip up running hoodie, no gloves, ( i just pull the sleeves over my hands and hold em for the first mile and then my hands are HOT so i loosen em up. dont wanna wear any gloves cause id be carrying them. then ive got a mask that covers my mouth and nose and ive got that attached to an earmuff head band and my hood up for the first mile. a hat is too hot. and ill end up carrying it. its the perfect setup so far.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I really like gear made out of Merino wool. It sounds awful/itchy, but it's not at all! It's really warm and it breathes because it's a natural fiber. There are a number of brands that make Merino workout clothing, you can search it online and find good prices.
  • luvsyoga
    luvsyoga Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    In Canada , it does get cold! The Running Room is very popular, lots of good products. They sell on line.
  • liquidpete24
    Options
    Chicago blizzard survivor here. Underarmour, I recently got given a crapload of Nike Hyperwarmup stuff I'm quite happy with as well.
    But usually I just layer, two or three hoodies, Carhartt jacket, skullcaps, hats, gloves, gloves, extra pairs of socks, tights on under sweatpants.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    I ride instead of run but yes, UA has awesome cold gear. They have an outlet section on their site as well.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My under armour thermal top (I think it's a base) is so freaking awesome. This is the women's current version: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens-ua-base-20-14-zip/pcid1230828-001

I also have the ua base pants, which are good. However my Nike running tights are warmer.

I have a long sleeved thinner top when it's still cold but not freezing and arm sleeves in case I want to start with sleeves but have the option to run sleeveless.

I have muzino gloves.

Finally, for my ears I just wear those old fashioned tennis sweat bands. They keep my ears warm and the sweat from dripping.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump...right now I'm layering a bunch of stuff.
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • llevatela
    Options
    awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions guys (and gals). You Rock!