Replies

• BadAzzBea
    BadAzzBea Posts: 461
    Options
    Great read...
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'll jump on the bandwagon and also recommend getting the right shoes and starting slow with some kind of interval program like couch to 5K. I actually finished a couch to 5K like program one year ago yesterday. I absolutely hated running before starting the program, since finishing it I have completed six 5Ks, two 10Ks and a half-marathon.
  • alexroet
    alexroet Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    another vote for C25K... i have always hated running- even when I was more in shape and played sports. But I started out walking, an one day decided to give it a try. And now I'm on week 9, with only two workouts left to go!! I'm starting to plan for my first 5K. i still don't love running- but I love how I feel about myself afterwards. If you'd ever told me I'd run by choice I would have laughed- but here I am!
  • KatieBeboo
    KatieBeboo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In my opinion I would cancel the gym membership... unless you want to do weights ECT... If your are deciding just to run defiantly quit membership. I had a gym membership for about a year which helped me lose my 1 stone goal. But since then I have been running around the street as I couldn’t afford the gym anymore. I was able to run for 3 miles on my first run on the streets where as whilst I was in the gym I couldn’t even run 5 minutes without stopping and feeling like I was going to die! But honestly I don’t think a member ship is needed for running :)! To start out ensure you have good running shoes and not just normal trainers! Make a track of where you want to run and just go at your own pace for as long as you can. If you stop, don’t worry it will all build up every time you run so you will get better :) X
  • kabel4892
    kabel4892 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    thank you guys for all your advice! :)
  • WilmaLewis
    WilmaLewis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did the Run your Butt Off from Runners World and it was wonderful! I hated running before and this was a great way to pace someone who wasn't running.
  • hollieg91
    Options
    Definitely get some decent shoes.and I would suggest running outside, the first time I attempted a 5k was after just treadmill running and it was a shock to the system! Running outside and building up gradually has really worked for me, would also suggest getting something to track your pace so you don't start to fast and end up walking! Try to aim for a 14/13 min mile to start with and work up from there, something like RunKeeper is great for this
    Have Fun!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are very important and you can buy good ones for less than $100...but the key is having your gate checked and getting fit for the right running shoes. That being said, if you are not sure how much running you are going to do...you can start with just some basic running shoes...however I would still have your gate checked to see if you pronate or have a neutral gate..this is very important for your running shoe and again, it doesn't have to cost $100. Actually, I buy Brooks and I run ~25 miles per week...I don't think I've spent $100 on any of my running shoes yet....I manage to find the one's I need on sale; last year I bought a pair of street and a pair of trail Brooks for $120 - great sale at Finish Line

Jeff Galloway method is a great way to start; it is with intervals of walking/running like others have suggested:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html

Or Hal Higdon's training:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

Here is also a few schedules I've used previously for training:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1148

Good Luck!

EDIT: Always remember you are in a race against yourself not others! :smile:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    go low and slow. Move at your own pace, you're not running any one else's race but your own. I'd suggest using something like a "couch to 5k" program, there are lots out there. It basically gives you a guide of how much to run, how many times a week. I did a "Learn to Run" program at my local running room. Basically, the first week, you run one minute, then walk one, for a cycle of 5. Increase your time by one minute each week (run two, walk one, the next week, run three, walk one), keep your time at about 15 - 30 minutes each time.

First and foremost..get the right shoes by visiting a dedicated running store and getting your running gait checked out . The right shoes will not only feel comfortable , but help you from getting injured.

As others have said, try the c25k app...it's a great way to build enough endurance to run long distances and by the time you have finished it, hopefully you can run outside where it becomes a totally different ball game :-)

good luck!
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! Before you know it, it'll make you all badass and confident and you'll be addicted. Just stay away from running!

haha. I did a free C25K program from coolrunning.com. I started it in June. Now I run 4 days/week. Usually 3 miles. Sometimes a hair more, sometimes a hair less. Don't do more than what the program says. Just do it as it's laid out to avoid injury.

Go to a running store so they can tell you how you stride and what type of shoes to buy.

Agreed. I finished C25k in August and now I run 3 miles several times a week. Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    step one: start running

there is no step two.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Before you invest in an expensive pair of shoes, see if running if for you. I good pair of running shoes will cost you $100 or more. You have received some great advice. I highly recommend the C25K or Hal Higdon's beginner running plan. I'd also recommend finding a running club if you're lucky enough to have one. Runners make the best friends.

Good luck. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Steve
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    also get a good sports bra. Protect the girls. Look for something that is for high impact sports. I've seen too many women with the bouncing boobs racing. It's got to be incredibly uncomfortable, and can't be good for you.