help cant stop eatting at night

Options
last year I lost over 80 lbs but after stopping the gym I put on over 30 lbs and need to get back on it , ive done it once but this time Im finding it really hard . the thing is I can go all day with being good but as soon as it comes to going to bed I get really hungry and cant help put snack on junk . PLEASE HELP

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    This lifestyle journey is going to be about creating new habits. You MUST get rid of the food that you are tempted by. At a minimum, tell those who eat it (even though they probably should not??) to hide it.

Then, make up a "comfort menu" something you will refer to when the urge to snack hits you. Put it in writing and keep it handy. On this "menu" you will include new habits that you can perform instead of snacking.
    For example:

brush your teeth
    call a friend
    take a walk
    clean a room
    clean a bathroom
    go to bed
    chew gum
    etc, etc, etc,

The more you make the right choice, the easier it gets :)
  • robynn412
    robynn412 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the same thing right now...been going on for a few weeks, and I'm definitely seeing it on the scale.

I've been trying not to have anything after dinner, and it's setting myself up for a binge. By having the "nothing else" mentality, I can only fight myself for so long before I race to the pantry, and inhale way more calories than I would've if I'd budgeted myself something to finish off the day.

That's what I'm trying now, to add a nighttime snack I can look forward too, and knowing it fits into my calories, and is already accounted for, I can enjoy it guilt free. So far this is working...plus I'm having some hot tea w/it which takes some time to finish up. I've scheduled this snack around 8:30p, and afterward I've been satisfied, got to indulge a little bit, and don't go to bed hating myself for ruining my entire day in about 20 minutes.

You recognize this is a trigger time for you, and that's good. Now you need to find what works for you to get through that timeframe, whether it be giving yourself a snack, or pre-occupying yourself in another way. :)
  • natmunsie
    natmunsie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You could try eating some diet jelly - zip calories and can be satisfying for the sweet tooth!
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    it's not written in stone that calorie counting begins the minute you get out of bed, and ends when you get back in. Have you tried starting your count at 18.00 - that way you can eat well in the evening and have less during the following morning/afternoon.
  • whittlelauraann
    Options
    You could try eating some diet jelly - zip calories and can be satisfying for the sweet tooth!

I was going to suggest that too... try to find low calorie option and if you know you need that late night snack cut say 100 calories in earlier meals and eat it in the evening. I have almost always ate late at night too even during my weight loss I just make better choices at night now.
  • kayla0619
    kayla0619 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just some info I got from a trainer my hubby works with in the military. I take grp6 supplement into the evening an hour before bed and it helps me control my hungry late at night and in the morning. Hope it helps.. Plus it helps me sleep..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Plan to have a healthier snack in the evening and work it in to your calorie and macronutrient goals for the day. It doesn't have to be something super low calorie- it can be whatever you like as long as you've accounted for the calories. I would suggest something that has fat, protein, and carbs to help with the satiation, like an apple and 1oz of cheddar cheese, or some nuts and carrots, or peanut butter on toast. I would ditch the junk food that you don't have a handle on, though. In general I dont have a problem with including some junk as part of a well balanced diet, but the exception is trigger foods that once you start eating them you lose grasp on portions and overeat, which sounds like its happening in the evenings with whatever your junk foods are.