ketogenic diets and depression

Options

Replies

• Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    Not completely related, but I had to comment on the benefits of Vitamin D. I have noticed a major improvement in depression and anxiety after taking a Vitamin D supplement. I take 4,000 - 8,000 IU per day.

i have seen this around as well, thanks for posting!
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I follow a Keto/low carb diet because of surgery and I feel better, less depressed and less irritable. Carbs are really bad for me in that they make me VERY sick - I think being sick contributed to the depression.

I dont know of any studies but I do know that prove it but it's worked for me.

And yes, my diary is open - you'll see the only carbs I take in are from nuts, eggs, dairy and lettuce.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Oh n=1 examples? Here's one

A Case of the Re-Emergence of Panic and Anxiety Symptoms After Initiation of a High-Protein, Very Low Carbohydrate Diet.

http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/47/2/178

http://www.ctsi.ucla.edu/education/files/view/training/docs/WadekarCS.pdf
  • jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    Since I started eating Keto / low carb, not only do I have much more energy and don't get the after-lunch-sleepys, I have found that my mood is much better. When I do slip and eat carbs / sugar, I find that I get very depressed. Not depressed because I ate bad, but just depressed about everything.

That's enough to keep me off of sugar and bad carbs!
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options

A Case of the Re-Emergence of Panic and Anxiety Symptoms After Initiation of a High-Protein, Very Low Carbohydrate Diet.

the power point is not convincing, bases the recommendaiton off of a study of one woman????
    and the other link doesn't work. sorry not trying to be rude.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

so only things that back your point of view? No confirmation bias there

the power point is not convincing, bases the recommendaiton off of a study of one woman????
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't have research, only personal experience. I have PTSD and have had depression as well (not currently, thank God!!) and I can tell you from personal experience that any kind of very low carb or intermittent fasting type eating plan, or otherwise not getting enough healthy carbs and/or calories has a really bad effect on my mental health. I'm not totally sure of the reason why. I keep my macros balanced, i.e 40% carb 30% protein 30% fat, (or 35/35/30 sometimes) and I'm fine on that. Note that I don't eat as much carbohydrate as the typical western diet, I avoid excessive amounts of any carbohydrate but there is a minimal level of carbohydrate intake that I just can't go below. And also eating too much unhealthy carb is probably just as bad as that leads to unstable blood sugar levels, i.e. too much carbs then a blood sugar crash. Personally, I wouldn't do anything ketogenic, that would be too low carb for me. However that does not mean I'll go to the other extreme and eat tons of carbs either.

Also pay attention to vitamin D and healthy fat in general, that has a big impact on mental health. the whole reason why I stick to balanced macros is to ensure I get a moderate amount of everything that my body needs (I pay a lot of attention to micronutrients too, i.e. trying to eat as wide a variety of natural/clean food as I can). Anything that involves cutting out an entire food group I'd think would probably be bad for me. I definitely wouldn't cut out fat either, or go low fat. I simply ensure that the fats and carbs I eat are good quality healthy ones.

Since following a balanced nutrition plan and working out regularly with heavy weights (i.e. 5-12 reps to failure kind of heavy) and ensuring that I get enough sunlight/daylight, that's improved my mental health a lot. I still have PTSD (seems to refuse to ever go away) but I feel a lot better generally and it's a lot more under control, and I don't currently feel depressed.

more or less ^^ this.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options

what the powerpoint describes is pretty much the same as what happens to me if I go on a too low carbohydrate diet or attempt to do intermittent fasting. I have PTSD rather than GAD, but they're both anxiety disorders. I know a couple of other people with PTSD who say the same, although not in the context of dieting, just in the context of accidentally missing meals or going through a phase of not eating enough for whatever reason. I didn't know any biochemical explanation for this, but the one in the power point seems quite reasonable, and IMO anyone who has an anxiety disorder ought to be aware that this is a risk. So IMO an n=1 study is very relevent. If it happened to one person who suffers from an anxiety disorder, it could happen to someone else with an anxiety disorder, even if it doesn't happen to everyone who has one. The study advises caution with low carb diets, it doesn't say "no-one with an anxiety disorder should ever do a low carb diet" - so I agree with that basically, i.e. proceed with caution which means if it's making anxiety disorder symptoms worse, then start eating healthy carbs again. If someone who has an anxiety disorder is on a low carb diet and it's helping them lose fat and it's not making the anxiety worse, then no reason for them to give it up.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options

what the powerpoint describes is pretty much the same as what happens to me if I go on a too low carbohydrate diet or attempt to do intermittent fasting. I have PTSD rather than GAD, but they're both anxiety disorders. I know a couple of other people with PTSD who say the same, although not in the context of dieting, just in the context of accidentally missing meals or going through a phase of not eating enough for whatever reason. I didn't know any biochemical explanation for this, but the one in the power point seems quite reasonable, and IMO anyone who has an anxiety disorder ought to be aware that this is a risk. So IMO an n=1 study is very relevent. If it happened to one person who suffers from an anxiety disorder, it could happen to someone else with an anxiety disorder, even if it doesn't happen to everyone who has one. The study advises caution with low carb diets, it doesn't say "no-one with an anxiety disorder should ever do a low carb diet" - so I agree with that basically, i.e. proceed with caution which means if it's making anxiety disorder symptoms worse, then start eating healthy carbs again. If someone who has an anxiety disorder is on a low carb diet and it's helping them lose fat and it's not making the anxiety worse, then no reason for them to give it up.

thank you :-)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Here is my n=1 peer reviewed study, conducted and studied by ME and ME alone.

I find that the High Fat / Low Carb ketogenic approach tremendously helps me with depression symptoms. I have lots of energy and actually feel like working out at the gym. I sleep better and I eat well.

Lots of fat, moderated protein and fill in the rest with vegetables.

The best thing to do is to try it for yourself. Become your own n=1 experiment and study yourself. Try it for 4-6 weeks and see if you have any improvements.

I do know that adequate fat intake is crucial for proper brain and other hormone functions.

I have had much the same experience although working out was rough at first.

I have no idea if my moods are better due to ketosis alone or to ketosis giving me the energy to go work out, which is a known mood enhancer.

However my depression is not considered severe. In fact, it's sub-clinical, the doctor refused to diagnose me with it and instead opted for social phobia or anxiety or whatever they're calling it this week.

From everything I've read severe depression is completely different from mild depression and may respond to different things. Anything you decide to do probably should be decided with the advice of an expert who is familiar with your symptoms.

Edit: I don't think I used the word sub clinical right. Oh well.
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    I did lots of research and decided to try it. I lost a little weight but not much. I was in keto according to the sticks for a little over 1 month. I did not carb up. I was fine but around week 3 I started to feel low energy. Irritable. After week 4 I decided that a balanced diet was just better for me. I lost the last 5lbs on a balanced high fiber, high protein, low-sugar diet plus strength training.

The only thing that has really lifted my chronic depression has been hard, regular exercise. But apparently everyone reacts differently to this diet so perhaps it will help you.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    agreed.

i think ketogenic is where the problem is as well. my terminology was misleading. trying to label something.

i was thinking lots of veggies, fruits, meats, healthy fats, goat's milk.

So more reduced carb but not extreme? Awesome if so. But try to make it balanced be careful how many food groups you eliminate, you don't mention oily fish nor any mineral/ fibre rich foods like nuts, seeds, cocoa if not beans and lentils (most are very low GI so very gentle on the blood sugar). By all means switch away from cow's milk and grains, just be sure to replace the nutrients you lose.

I have several closely linked mental health issues, lifestyle modification is what got me from being unable to work to as healthy and boundlessly energetic as a child. That was the reason I retrained in lifestyle healthcare! I was eating then unprocessed wholefoods, low glycaemic index so little wheat or potatoes, loads of omega-3s both long and short chain, limited saturated animal fats and omega-6s, too many supplements (micronutrients and antioxidant rich herbs). Exercising intensely four times a week. Had good results with clients since - not as clean as my diet but working on nutrient density including minerals and omega-3s and on exercise levels.
  • vnovit
    vnovit Posts: 101
    Options

Finally, someone with a brain
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't find the link to the study, but I read a great article on bipolar which talked about the swings. While science has been working hard to minimise impacts of the downswings, this article was about limiting upswings and that a high upswing will inevitably lead to a bad downswing. For people whose ups and downs are impacted by blood sugar or insulin, a ketogenic diet may reduce the swinging.

Everyone is different. If you meddle around with your diet or medication, always do it under a doctors supervision.

Some people are more sensitive to carbs than others. Some people can't be ketogenic on more than 25 carbs a day, some can be on 100+. If you've tried it once and it didn't work, try some of the other carb levels. Low carb diets also don't have to be ketogenic to have positive impacts on blood sugar and insulin.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I find that the High Fat / Low Carb ketogenic approach tremendously helps me with depression symptoms. I have lots of energy and actually feel like working out at the gym. I sleep better and I eat well.

The best thing to do is to try it for yourself. Become your own n=1 experiment and study yourself. Try it for 4-6 weeks and see if you have any improvements.

I do know that adequate fat intake is crucial for proper brain and other hormone functions.

I have had much the same experience although working out was rough at first.

I have no idea if my moods are better due to ketosis alone or to ketosis giving me the energy to go work out, which is a known mood enhancer.

However my depression is not considered severe. In fact, it's sub-clinical, the doctor refused to diagnose me with it and instead opted for social phobia or anxiety or whatever they're calling it this week.

From everything I've read severe depression is completely different from mild depression and may respond to different things. Anything you decide to do probably should be decided with the advice of an expert who is familiar with your symptoms.

Edit: I don't think I used the word sub clinical right. Oh well.

I have been diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder and severe clinical depression. Before I started Atkins I attempted suicide several times and one of those times I slit my own throat.....yes, that severe.

I was then diagnosed with PCOS, hypo-thyroid and T2 diabetes. My Dr had me to start Atkins because she thought mess would make everything worse as that particular suicide attempt I was actually one an anti depressant .

When I switched to high fat, moderate protein and carbs primarily from vegetables I started feeling better, clearer thinking and had energy.

I then started going to the gym and that helped even more. When I got to the phase of Atkins where you add back in grains, legumes, starcher carbs such as potatoes my symptoms came back, which lead me to Paleo.

I have been suffering from major depression again before and during the holidays due to eating too much crappy food plus digestive issues.

No more splurging on sweets and grains for me.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

That is very insulting to say considering the majority of us are speaking from our own personal experiences.

I have not heard anyone else that suffers from depression, anxiety or bipolar disorder when they have introduced a high fat, low carb way of eating to their body.

Quite the opposite happens.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

This is most definitely not peer reviewed.

Also, while adequate fat intake is necessary for all sorts of biological functions, this doesn't necessarily mean an incredibly high fat diet (such as ketogenic diets) are better.

My peers are reviewing it so it most definitely a peer reviewed study.

I would take the word of personal experience over any of these so called organizations that are paid very heftily by major corporations and pharmaceutical companies for the study to come out the way the payer requests.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    agreed.

i think ketogenic is where the problem is as well. my terminology was misleading. trying to label something.

i was thinking lots of veggies, fruits, meats, healthy fats, goat's milk.

So more reduced carb but not extreme? Awesome if so. But try to make it balanced be careful how many food groups you eliminate, you don't mention oily fish nor any mineral/ fibre rich foods like nuts, seeds, cocoa if not beans and lentils (most are very low GI so very gentle on the blood sugar). By all means switch away from cow's milk and grains, just be sure to replace the nutrients you lose.

I have several closely linked mental health issues, lifestyle modification is what got me from being unable to work to as healthy and boundlessly energetic as a child. That was the reason I retrained in lifestyle healthcare! I was eating then unprocessed wholefoods, low glycaemic index so little wheat or potatoes, loads of omega-3s both long and short chain, limited saturated animal fats and omega-6s, too many supplements (micronutrients and antioxidant rich herbs). Exercising intensely four times a week. Had good results with clients since - not as clean as my diet but working on nutrient density including minerals and omega-3s and on exercise levels.

wow! that's really encouraging to read. that sounds like something i am going to try.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options

rudeness not appreciated. be polite or stay off the thread.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight being in slight ketosis---that is 85-100 carbs a day. I was in fat burning mode, it did nothing but make me full of energy and was never depressed. Although I do not have a depression issue to begin with.

But is there any diet out there that improves depression?