Special K Challenge...

Options
What are your thought? I thought of doing this to help me get in the routine of small meals five times a day...

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    What are your thought? I thought of doing this to help me get in the routine of small meals five times a day...
    Why? Eating 5 small meals has no advantage over 1 big meal or 3 normal sized meals.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think that it's a way of creating a calorie deficit, which you can do with whatever food you like to eat, and more nutritious food than Special K at that. It's basically a marketing gimmick to make you eat and buy more Special K. There's nothing special about the cereal that will make you lose. If you're trying to get into healthier habits, maybe start practising how you want to eat on a long-term basis, not a special diet that you are (presumably) only going to be doing for a little while. Restricting yourself to one type of food (whether it's shakes, or cereal) doesn't teach you how to make good choices in the face of temptation.

Those are my thoughts any way. If you do go the Special K route, just make sure you're getting enough nutrients (eg. protein) from other sources.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I think that it's a way of creating a calorie deficit, which you can do with whatever food you like to eat, and more nutritious food than Special K at that. It's basically a marketing gimmick to make you eat and buy more Special K. There's nothing special about the cereal that will make you lose.

Ditto. You'll be loading yourself up with Special K products instead of real food that tastes way better. Save your money and eat real food within your allotted calories. Not only is it a more sustainable way to eat for life, it will save you money and is way healthier than eating Special K's product line.
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    it's all carbs, dont waste your money. I actually GAINED two pounds when i did this "challenge" for 2 1/2 weeks.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Create your own "special k" diet but using more protein. I suggested the same thing to my mom. You can easily create a 2.5-week menu around the foods you like.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Seriously?
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Oh, sorry. I thought this was about me.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like anything they offer as a "snack" or "meal" is actually nutritious or healthy for you. I think there's something you could come up with for yourself that's a lot healthier and cost effective.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Oh goonies no, not since university. I'm too old to fall into a K-hole...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Kellogg's makes some yummy cereals, but Special K is not one.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Eating nothing but carbs would bloat me. No thanks.

That is really a marketing scheme to get people to buy special k anyways...
  • Libi_at
    Options
    Eating nothing but carbs would bloat me. No thanks.

Same here.
    Way too much carbs.

Stick for regular food with less fat, low carb and high protein. Works much better, tastes better and you will be able to keep it up for a long time.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    specialk.gif
  • jlqt2000
    jlqt2000 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Why? Eating 5 small meals has no advantage over 1 big meal or 3 normal sized meals.

I really think this depends on the person. There are conflicting articles arguing both sides. For me, eating 3 larger meals didn't work out at all because I would get hungry and want to snack anyways before lunch and dinner. I started eating smaller meals throughout the day which not only kept me full but also gave me a lot more energy.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I think that it's a way of creating a calorie deficit, which you can do with whatever food you like to eat, and more nutritious food than Special K at that. It's basically a marketing gimmick to make you eat and buy more Special K. There's nothing special about the cereal that will make you lose. If you're trying to get into healthier habits, maybe start practising how you want to eat on a long-term basis, not a special diet that you are (presumably) only going to be doing for a little while. Restricting yourself to one type of food (whether it's shakes, or cereal) doesn't teach you how to make good choices in the face of temptation.

Those are my thoughts any way. If you do go the Special K route, just make sure you're getting enough nutrients (eg. protein) from other sources.

I completely agree.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    specialk.gif

cant hardly wait lmao
  • minihearts
    Options
    There's no real food in special K..it's all sugary cereal and sugary shakes and chocolatey bars and salty chips. I think I'd get tired of living off of junk snacks like that
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I went down the Special K Challenge route in desperation before I joined MyFitnessPal.. I lasted all of four days. I felt sick and weak therefore couldn't exercise. Also I had to chuck out the leftover cereal since it was so disgusting I couldn't look at it after :/

You can use the tools here to eat foods you actually like and still lose weight, its on a whole other level to that crap fad diet.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Oh goonies no, not since university. I'm too old to fall into a K-hole...

whew flashbacks
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There's no real food in special K..it's all sugary cereal and sugary shakes and chocolatey bars and salty chips. I think I'd get tired of living off of junk snacks like that

No real food? What? Rice and wheat aren't food?