Not giving up, not a plateau, just fed up with it all :(

Options
I have put 5lbs on over the holidays, it has taken me 15 months to lose 42lbs. I have dropped clothes sizes and it felt great.

How can I put so much on in such a short time. I know I have eaten a little more than usual and didn`t log for a week or so.

But 5 lbs would be 17500 calorie overeat over the holidays on top of what I usually eat. I know I haven`t eaten that much for sure!

But I am feeling after all this hard work that is it really worth it, when a few days can knock you back a couple of months...cos that is what it is going to take to lose it all over again :angry:

I really need some help to get me back on track again.

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Someone throw me a life line...I know you are all full of words of wisdom even a gif would help :heart:

Save me from myself :sad:
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Take a breathe....you're only human. You're body probably went into shock w/all the "normal" food over the holidays. Today is a new day, no point in sulking or boohooing over what happened last week. Drink your green tea & liquids....make all your calories healthy calories....and today is a new beginning. Keep your chin up....it's just a bump in the road....you'll be fine.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'd totally go with water weight here. Did you have high sodium foods or low liquid intake over the hols? Don't be bummed, it'll all come back off - either way, whether it's a "real" increase or water, you're going to keep on keeping on!! My scales are up too at the moment, in fact I'm beginning to think they're broken :laugh: :wink:
  • SuzyQq02
    SuzyQq02 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Remember that if you've been doing a bit of indulging, you're likely carrying some water weight, ect too, not just 5 new lbs of fat. I mean, I can swing 3lbs in a day based on other factors. Get back on track, weigh in next week and see if you start to even out.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i put the same 5 on and i was only about 3 lbs from my goal weight......been a week of eatin clean asnd excecizing like crazy and ive lost 1 of those 5....dont have any words to help as i become angrier everyday
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I was going to say water weight too. Just making sure I drink enough water nets me a loss after not tracking. That sodium sneaks in there REALLY quickly!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    TOM

/end thread
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I gained 8 and I'm not freaking out about it. Cool your jets, life goes on.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I put on *eight* pounds over the holidays, but I know from logging I didn't go over my maintenance calories. Therefore, I haven't gained true weight, just water weight and carb bloat and whatnot. My body loooooves to hold onto water, even if I drink 8-9 glasses per day.

It IS frustrating to see that number go up after you've worked so hard, but I promise it will come down again. From my experience, I know it will take me about two weeks to get rid of all of it, and that's okay. My clothes still fit fine, so it's really just a number.

You can add lemon slices to your water for a natural diuretic. Green tea works too. You could do green tea WITH lemon for a real boost. :)
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Going with the majority here, it's probably some water weight gain. Remember each pound is 3500 calories. Don't give up on yourself!! You CAN do this...
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue... I have gained 6 pounds over the holiday season and I really didn't eat that much more than usual. I logged it all, still worked out, kept up my water intake, etc. Sure, I went over by a few hundred calories a few days in the past few weeks, but I have also been under by a few hundred calories some days. I feel like crap. I have been trying so hard to lose weight and haven't lost a single thing in about 6 months and now I've gained.

Weight loss isn't a science. 3,500 calories apparently doesn't equal a pound. If it did, I would be at my goal weight by now.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It's not very fair is it? Sigh its so easy to gain it back. I was 3lbs away from my minigoal but a depression sent me rapidly back in a blink of an eye.

Keep moving foward, one day at a time, the nice thing about being healthy is that since it is a life time thing every day is a new day to be better and succeed.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. It's probably mostly water weight. Get back on coarse and it should drop off in a couple of weeks.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It`s deffo not TOM.

I have been peeing more than normal over the last few days but the scales haven`t gone down...I could curse here but I won`t :wink:

I haven`t exercised as much as normal, and I am trying to get the drinking water back up again.

I have eaten a shed loads of carbs I suppose, when I usually eat high protein?

But it is just soul destroying to think I am behind a couple of months I could cry I really could :sad:
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I "took off" from logging most of November and December and gained 6 lbs. I'm not recording it for now, as I plan on losing it now that I'm back to logging.

Do you feel better today than you did 40 lbs ago? If so (and I'm pretty sure you do), then yes, it's really worth it. I'm sure your 5 lbs is not fat gain in such a short amount of time. Get back to eating well and drink your water. It won't do any good to get fed up and give up. Accept it and move forward. That's really the only thing to do :)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    The holidays were a struggle for most of us I think. While I managed not to gain weight, I am struggling to lose any more, and have been down about it too. But look how far you have come, even though you have regained 5 pounds, you still weigh a lot less than when you started. You know how to get it out, just pick yourself up and get back to it! YOu can do it!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    ^What they said...

Focus on returning to your regular routine- the one that worked for you. You've learned that your holiday "routine" didn't work for you so now you can move on. Re-establish yourself and a strong, motivated individual.

"You can't reach for anything new if your hands are still full of yesterday's junk."

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    This is why I refuse to get on the scale until Saturday, after I've been eating normally for a few days. Your body is probably in crisis mode because of the holiday eating, drinking, etc. It's probably a bit of water weight, I doubt you gained 5 pounds of fat over the holidays.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It is probably water weight/glycogen, not actual fat gain. I know that the scale is a tool that people obviously use for weight loss, however, your focus should be on how you feel and look, not just the scale.

You can't change what you don't acknowledge! Acknowlege--this is what you have done! Now, get your head back in the game, remember your goals, remember how far you have come and don't focus on the finish line, just the steps to get there! Consistancy is key. Just be consistant and take it day by day! This is a lifestyle change!!
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Did you drink the same amount of water that you did before? I know I didn't and gained. Now I'm in your boat struggling to get it back. I'm sure you will bounce back very soon. Take it easy on yourself! :flowerforyou: