Drinking Water - ways to not have to pee as often?

Options
I know its not good to hold it for very long because it'll poison you basically (i think?) but my pee is completely clear (and toxin free i'd bet) with all the water i've been drinking.

Is it safe to hold it? Are there exercises you can do to make it more comfortable to hold it?

Replies

• Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    How long are you trying to "hold it"?

Anyway, I would follow these two simple rules concerning the matter of drinking and expelling water:

1. If you are thirsty, drink.
    2. If you have to go, then go.

If you use the bathroom, and then you feel like you still have to urinate, that may be a sign of something else (probably a UTI). I would ask your doctor.

For those of us who drink a lot of water, it isn't uncommon to use the bathroom frequently (every 2 hours).

I cannot comment whether urine remaining in the bladder becomes harmful.
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As my doctor told me when I had a bladder infection, the bladder is warm, wet and dark - perfect conditions for bacterial growth. You really should empty your bladder every 90 minutes to help avoid infections.
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    As my doctor told me when I had a bladder infection, the bladder is warm, wet and dark - perfect conditions for bacterial growth. You really should empty your bladder every 90 minutes to help avoid infections.

^^ This! Why chance a horrible UTI? I hate going a lot but I prefer that much more than, yet another infection!
  • Hedley49
    Options
    My Old drill sergeant said if we were not urinating every 2 hours we were dehydrating.
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    thanks for the perspective guys. i guess i was always dehydrated before :-P

90 minutes is reasonable.

AND i decided i'm going to add a trip up and down the 8 flights of stairs in my building when i go each time (the stairs are right by the bathroom)
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem too, I now spread my water intake out through the day. No more than 3/4 to 1 liter per hour unless I'm working out.
  • oDapho
    oDapho Posts: 50
    Options
    No, it's not safe to hold it. You can get a bladder infection doing that too much. Just pee! lol
  • jericson929
    jericson929 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    To be honest, in the early stages of weight loss your body is expelling a lot of water as it burns glucose. That will slow down as you progress in your journey. Go when you feel the urge and just remember, you are expelling weight with each trip to the bathroom!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I know its not good to hold it for very long because it'll poison you basically (i think?) but my pee is completely clear (and toxin free i'd bet) with all the water i've been drinking.

Is it safe to hold it? Are there exercises you can do to make it more comfortable to hold it?

There are always kegel exercises for better bladder control, but as far as limiting the potty breaks go I would suggest not holding it as it isn't healthy.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My Old drill sergeant said if we were not urinating every 2 hours we were dehydrating.
    Ditto.