Anybody Use Wal-Mart Protein Powder?

Options
Hey all! I'm back on MFP now (old username was renahope... ha) and I've decided to change some things around this time.

Protein powder.

I need to get started on this, but seeing as I'm heading off to college in August I don't think that I want to swing $50 bucks on a bucket of protein powder just yet. Today while I was at Wal-Mart I saw some whey protein powder for around $16 dollars but I didn't stop to look at it.

Do any of you get your protein powder from Wal-Mart, and have you gotten some good results by using it? I honestly just do not know what to look for in protein powder right now... anything that will steer me in the right direction would be much appreciated! I'm trying to lose weight so I don't need anything like Muscle Milk... I know that much :p

Replies

• watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    i use rite aids six star protien powder triple choclate. 170 cals per scoop more with milk. 11grams of carbs 16 grams of protien. u gotta diveide by number of scoops per serving. it goes in coffee for breakfast, milk for lunch, and oatmeal for dinner.

add me
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    First ingredient should be Isolate, not concentrate.
    Furthermore, divide the calories by 4.

example: 120/4

This will give you a number: 30

The grams of protein should be as close to this number as possible. No less than 75% of that number.
  • missrenahope
    missrenahope Posts: 44 Member
    Options

The grams of protein should be as close to this number as possible. No less than 75% of that number.

Great information. That's very good to know, thank you :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I bought some of the chocolate. It's gross. Now I just eat meatttt instead.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I use Advanced Fortress Whey from Walmart if that's the one you're talking about.

I like it, it's not super fancy or guilty so I don't feel bad (money wise) using it in my oatmeal on weekends.

The vanilla is gross but I don't really like vanilla. The chocolate mixed with almond milk is delicious.
    I accidentally bought the chocolate pb one, it was eh.

What are your reasons to get the powder?
    To hit your calorie/protein goals for weight lifting or to hit them just in general?
    Not that it matters either way, I don't think so, but I'm just curious. If it was to hit goals in general, there are other ways to do it
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The major problem with cheap protein powders is that they usually do not contain all of the required amino acids for muscle building. The $50 dollar powders are usually more robust and honestly they taste a whole lot better too. Muscle milk isn't great either...I use Dymatize elite (it's whey protein isolate) and although it usually runs at $44 for a 5 gallon bucket - it tastes great in shakes, it's super filling, gives me all the amino acids I need for muscle growth while I lose weight, and lasts me a LONG time.

Even though I might not change your mind about going with a more expensive brand, I hope to at least sway you in not wasting your money on the wal-mart junk. If you're looking for a straight source of protein that isn't a $50 whey protein isolate - go with egg whites instead!
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I'd like to know that myself. I get mine from GNC and can usually get it from between 25 and 30. I'm always nervous about different kinds. My digestive system is sensitive, I'll be nice and call it that, and can't do just any shake.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Great information. That's very good to know, thank you :)
    yes, thanks, good info to have
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

This is really good to see. My grandma bought me protein powder for xmas (whoot lol) but she bought me the Jillian Michaels stuff and the first ingredient is concentrate followed by a minute amount of isolate :O
    Also there's 100 cal per scoop: 100cal/4=25. BUT there is only 15g of protein per scoop :( nooo!!!!

What's the difference between the concentrate and isolate?
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a straight source of protein that isn't a $50 whey protein isolate - go with egg whites instead!

^^^

Complete proteins: Meat, Poultry, Fish, Eggs, Dairy

Stop wasting your money on protein supplements. The industry would have you believe that you need to supplement with powders. Your diet should be adequate to supply your protein. Nobody needs more than 1g per lb of LBM.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

This is really good to see. My grandma bought me protein powder for xmas (whoot lol) but she bought me the Jillian Michaels stuff and the first ingredient is concentrate followed by a minute amount of isolate :O
    Also there's 100 cal per scoop: 100cal/4=25. BUT there is only 15g of protein per scoop :( nooo!!!!

What's the difference between the concentrate and isolate?

Most have some isolate, to keep cost down.

From Venuto:
    The primary difference between isolate and concentrate is that the isolate is more pure. In other words, isolate contains more protein with less fat and lactose per serving. Based on whose figures you go by, whey isolate usually contains between 90-94% protein while whey concentrate has a protein ratio of 70-85%.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    No. I do not shop at Walmart and I don't use protein powder.
  • cwettstain
    cwettstain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Whey. It dissolves pretty well in water. If I remember, the Six Star and Body Fortress brands clump up a little. Not a big deal if you just shoot it down really fast. Someone else said it, but make sure there isn't a lot of fat and carbs in your protein powder. You'd be surprised. Muscle Milk is bad about it. Make sure the calories per serving are pretty close to 4 calories per gram of protein.
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use the type that you are talking about and it works great. Low Carb to Protein ratio low sugar also unlike some of the higher priced ones that I've looked into. It also lasts me quite a while.
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein at Wal Mart and it only cost $19. It has 3g of Fat, 3g of Carbs, and 25g of Protein per one scoop. I love the Frosty Chocolate flavored one.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress. First strawberry, then chocolate... OK. Just bought a vanilla but haven't tried yet. Just tried chocolate peanut butter! OMG! It was so good I made it a double! :drinker: :drinker:
    I use some form of milk (cow, soy, almond, prefer coconut) and never water. Maybe I'd like the taste of the more expensive ones if I tried them, but I like what I have and don't intend to change.

*Edit to correct spelling
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm back on MFP now (old username was renahope... ha) and I've decided to change some things around this time.

Protein powder.

I need to get started on this, but seeing as I'm heading off to college in August I don't think that I want to swing $50 bucks on a bucket of protein powder just yet. Today while I was at Wal-Mart I saw some whey protein powder for around $16 dollars but I didn't stop to look at it.

Do any of you get your protein powder from Wal-Mart, and have you gotten some good results by using it? I honestly just do not know what to look for in protein powder right now... anything that will steer me in the right direction would be much appreciated! I'm trying to lose weight so I don't need anything like Muscle Milk... I know that much :p

this is what I've been using and it's great. the vanilla you can use to blend with whatever you want. lately, I've been adding a cup of skim milk, 2/3 or 3/4 a cup of sweet freedom vanilla ice cream and one or two smashed-up candy canes. also works great with flavored ice cream topping syrup or with fresh/canned fruit. peaches are my favorite add, though I also recently discovered how awesome it is to add a cup or so of coffee instead of milk.

just finished my latest tub and went with chocolate to do something new. but have also tried their chocolate/peanut butter and it is very good as well.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Super Advance Whey Protein - Chocolate

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size 1 Scoop (42 g) 2 Scoops (84 g)
    Servings Per Container about 21 about 11
    Amount Per Serving %Daily Value %Daily Value
    Calories 170 340
    Calories from Fat 25 45
    Total Fat 2.5 g 4%
    † 5 g 8%†
    Saturated Fat 1.5 g 8%† 3 g 15%†
    Cholesterol 70 mg 23% 140 mg 46%
    Total Carbohydrate 7 g 2%
    † 14 g 5%†
    Dietary Fiber <1 g 4%† 2 g 8%†
    Sugars 2 g †† 3 g ††
    Protein 30 g 60%† 60 g 120%†
    Calcium 72 mg 7% 144 mg 14%
    Iron 0.5 mg 3% 1 mg 5%
    Phosphorus 74 mg 7% 149 mg 15%
    Magnesium 23 mg 6% 45 mg 11%
    Zinc 0.09 mg 1% 0.19 mg 1%
    Copper 0.05 mg 3% 0.11 mg 5%
    Sodium 100 mg 4% 200 mg 8%
    Potassium 210 mg 6% 420 mg 12%
    †Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    ††Daily Value not established.
    Ingredients: Super Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein
    Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate), Super Recovery Blend
    (Glycine, Creatine Monohydrate, Taurine, Threonine,
    L-Glutamine, Leucine, Valine, Isoleucine), Maltodextrin, Cocoa
    (processed with alkali), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Soy
    Lecithin, Cellulose Gum, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose.
    Contains milk and soy ingredients.
    Gluten Free
  • melinda7583
    melinda7583 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    henarope,

I just recently started using the Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder (about $15 from Walmart) and so far so good. Each flavor is just 140 calories when mixed with water. However, I suggest that you mix the protein powder with 1% or 2% milk because it tastes better that way. The Vanilla protein powder is ok (it tasted better mixed with sliced strawberries and milk). I like the Chocolate flavor better then the Vanilla. :smile:
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I use the chocolate and I love it. Tried others and they tasted nasty. Blend it with frozen fruit and yes I saw results from it fairly quickly. I have actual muscle definition in my upper arms thanks to the powder and strength training.