Getting out of starvation mode help!

Options
Hey everyone! So I think I've been experiencing starvation mode symptoms. I eat 500 to 800 calories a day. Healthy calories of course but I really believe now that I've been in a starvation mode. I posted another post about the whole story how it got started, but basically I gained 25 pounds in two weeks but under eating and working out hard. I went from 119 to 141.I'm trying to get out of this starvation but should I start at 1200 calories while working out or 1800 since I burn at least 600?

Replies

• elorawood
    elorawood Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Here are some useful calculators:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/

First, check for your age/weight/height etc how much your body would need and burn in calories if you would just sit around not doing anything (RMR Calculator).

Then think about all the other things you do, walking, cleaning, etc...and your workout - if you are really worried about eating back your workout calories, use the NET vs GROSS Calorie calculator:
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/articles/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn.aspx

On the same site you can read about the difference between the two.

It is very important to eat enough, specially if you already eat healthy calories anyway. Starving yourself will not make you skinnier, healthier or fitter. I know it is really hard to believe that eating more can make you weigh less, but it is true.

Also, don´t worry if you gain some weight while working out a lot - you might be gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. Maybe try taping yourself instead of standing on a scale.

Good luck
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! So I think I've been experiencing starvation mode symptoms. I eat 500 to 800 calories a day. Healthy calories of course but I really believe now that I've been in a starvation mode. I posted another post about the whole story how it got started, but basically I gained 25 pounds in two weeks but under eating and working out hard. I went from 119 to 141.I'm trying to get out of this starvation but should I start at 1200 calories while working out or 1800 since I burn at least 600?

Only that much?! Wow.....it does sound like Starvation mode to me...that's what happened to me and i lost a looot of muscle and gained fat. im in bad shape now. My joints are bad, my back is bad, i did some nerve damage that can be fixed but it's still damage, hair loss, period stopped, stretchy skin, some small parts of lose skin, ect. it's horrible. even mood swings and body hair growth...more than usual. I'm trying to rebuild my muscles but i need to take a break from working out and only do some stretches, short enough walks, body weight if I must strength train, and all while eating more again like i use to.
  • cbtyler1
    cbtyler1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    See this is the weird part, I was really ripped and muscular before but by dropping the calls and working out harder I've gained more muscle (and watery substance over it). This is why I have a problem with using it :( I naturally gain muscle easy but I don't want to gain fat!!
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    See this is the weird part, I was really ripped and muscular before but by dropping the calls and working out harder I've gained more muscle (and watery substance over it). This is why I have a problem with using it :( I naturally gain muscle easy but I don't want to gain fat!!

Well lucky you.....
    you wont gain fat if you keep gaining muscle. How is that even possible? You wouldn't be gaining muscle if you're in starvation mode. It's impossible...
  • cbtyler1
    cbtyler1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I really don't know how but my family is very muscular so it runs through the family I guess.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Once again you didn't gain 25 lbs of fat in 2 weeks. That's 87,000 extra calories. Starvation mode is a myth. Check out some sub-saharan africans if you want to see starvation. Do you look like that? Undereating will make you feel like crap but it won't make you gain 25 lbs. Over eating does that. Attention seeking won't get it off either.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Honey you need to see a nutritionist/doctor and have tests run, this is not fat gain most likely it is bloating which could be a sign of something dangerous, as was suggested in the other thread you posted.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Agree go and see a doctor.
  • jul2526
    jul2526 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Once again you didn't gain 25 lbs of fat in 2 weeks. That's 87,000 extra calories. Starvation mode is a myth. Check out some sub-saharan africans if you want to see starvation. Do you look like that? Undereating will make you feel like crap but it won't make you gain 25 lbs. Over eating does that. Attention seeking won't get it off either.

I too think starvation mode is a myth!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

starvation mode is NOT a myth. those same sub-saharan africans have pot bellies (kinda gross but: http://www.kingsacademy.com/mhodges/03_The-World-since-1900/11_The-Bewildering-60s/pictures/STP-118_Starvation-in-Biafra_1968.jpg).

^ that's what happens when you're starving. your body stores extra fat so it can live off that fat longer in the absence of nutrients coming into the body.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

can you quickly tell me how tall you are?

height: ?
    weight: 141

My gut says you should be eating at LEAST 1000 calories more than you're currently eating every day. Probably closer to 1500 more. The short answer is yes, you're starving yourself.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    you gained 25lbs on 500 cals per day....riiiiiiight.

TROLL MUCH
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

starvation mode is NOT a myth. those same sub-saharan africans have pot bellies (kinda gross but: http://www.kingsacademy.com/mhodges/03_The-World-since-1900/11_The-Bewildering-60s/pictures/STP-118_Starvation-in-Biafra_1968.jpg).

^ that's what happens when you're starving. your body stores extra fat so it can live off that fat longer in the absence of nutrients coming into the body.

Starvation mode is a myth as it's described on these forums. I've been to Africa and no North American who has food to eat is in true starvation mode. Eating even 500 calories a day won't put you into true starvation mode. You may be malnourished and your body may be starting to use muscle for fuel but you will not starve. You also can't make something out of nothing. The big bellies on those kids isn't fat. It's mostly the fact that the rest of their body is so depleted of muscle that their belly looks huge. I think it's disgusting that we even dare to compare ourselves to those who are truly starving while we sit here surrounded by food.

FWIW, someone weighing 140 lbs has a long way to go before they need to worry about starving. If there is truly a 25 lb weight gain in 2 weeks it would be a medical emergency because it has to be fluid build up. An ER would be the answer, not MFP forums.
  • sheilapie
    sheilapie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    mokey, you are 100% right.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    wow. ridiculous.

"starvation mode" is just a phrase. it doesn't mean you're actually starving...

no one's actually comparing themselves to africans... jeez.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    "starvation mode" means your body is storing fat in absence of sufficient nutrients coming into the body. Essentially, your body starts preparing to hibernate for the winter.

this is not a myth.

do we just have to put quotes around it every time? that seems silly.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I know someone who gained a lot of weight in a short time. She had a heart attack a few months later. Not saying you're gonna have a heart attack, but you need to go to the doctor, not the internet. That amount of gain is a bad sign.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    wow. ridiculous.

"starvation mode" is just a phrase. it doesn't mean you're actually starving...

no one's actually comparing themselves to africans... jeez.

Yeah. OP is eating a typical amount for someone with an eating disorder (not saying she has one). But clearly no one in the West ever starves to death from an ED. They are surrounded by food!

OP: Please get yourself to a doctor. If you have done metabolic damage, then a dietician is the best bet to help you fix it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Only that much?! Wow.....it does sound like Starvation mode to me...that's what happened to me and i lost a looot of muscle and gained fat. im in bad shape now. My joints are bad, my back is bad, i did some nerve damage that can be fixed but it's still damage, hair loss, period stopped, stretchy skin, some small parts of lose skin, ect. it's horrible. even mood swings and body hair growth...more than usual. I'm trying to rebuild my muscles but i need to take a break from working out and only do some stretches, short enough walks, body weight if I must strength train, and all while eating more again like i use to.

it does not sound like starvation mode because starvation mode is a myth. you would have to not eat for 72 hours for your body to start to even enter what is considered the beginning phases of starvation mode. As the poster is eating about 800 to 1000 cals a day she is not in starvation mode....

However, she might benefit from bumping up cal intake to 1200 a day ..I would suggest you read the "in place of a road map thread" on MFP very informative.