Dieting and depression?

Options
After my first week with MFP I've noticed that I'm feeling worse than ever and wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar?

I've mentioned before that I began working out almost a year ago and with excercise alone managed to drop 4 dress sizes. I remember it taking a few months to teach my body to want the workouts but from the get-go I remember feeling invigorated, accomplished, etc. after them. Such isn't the case with cutting calories.

So far I love using MFP because when counting calories it gives me a cold, hard number to keep from exceeding and that's all I really need to keep myself disciplined - at the end of the day I do feel some sense of accomplishment looking at my log and knowing I've done what I was supposed to. But while counting calories hasn't required that I do a MAJOR diet overhaul (its been slowly evolving over the past year) I found that almost immediately I began to feel really depressed even though I was only cutting out a few snacks and drink refills - and I haven't felt down in quite a long time, not since I've begun working out. The second day I chalked it up to my mood and the lifestyle change, but its grown progressively worse since - crying jags, tension headaches, etc. (And no, its not PMS. :D) I feel heavier than ever (water weight from the 8 cups that are notoriously hard to get in?) and am having trouble feeling good in general.

I suspect it might have something to do with an emotional connection or addiction to food that I wasn't entirely aware of. For instance, I don't drink soda or alcohol so when I come home I like to have really tall, really cold glasses of skim milk. Now I know that sounds absolutely insane but it is what it is. However, when I started counting I realized that even at only 80 per serving I was using up a lot of calories with all the milk consumption (Believe me, I know I'm lucky to have a relatively healthy addiction. :D) Today, I had an extra glass with my breakfast and another in the afternoon and I felt heaps better. Yesterday I knew I'd be seeing a friend of mine, so I fortified myself with a 90 calorie tall skinny iced mocha w/o whip and a) proud of myself for choosing a low-cal indulgence item, and b) see that it lifted my mood and made me much more fun to be around.

Its a long-winded entry, I know - but I really am curious to know if anyone else had a similar reaction when they began dieting and/or counting calories. Was it something that subsided or you were able to resolve? The last thing I want is to eat in order to feel better but at the same time I don't want a diet to impact what is promising to be a really good year for me or interfere with my relationships (on Sunday I actually had to leave my second date with the guy of my dreams after only 15 minutes due to how miserable I felt - and it took me over a YEAR to work up the courage to even ask him out.) Extra workouts haven't worked, but music has to a degree, which is great because there are ZERO calories in "Automatic for the People." :)

Support, tips, stories would be of great help to me. I'm feeling rather glum about the whole thing.

Replies

• ophelian
    ophelian Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    After my first week with MFP I've noticed that I'm feeling worse than ever and wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar?

I've mentioned before that I began working out almost a year ago and with excercise alone managed to drop 4 dress sizes. I remember it taking a few months to teach my body to want the workouts but from the get-go I remember feeling invigorated, accomplished, etc. after them. Such isn't the case with cutting calories.

So far I love using MFP because when counting calories it gives me a cold, hard number to keep from exceeding and that's all I really need to keep myself disciplined - at the end of the day I do feel some sense of accomplishment looking at my log and knowing I've done what I was supposed to. But while counting calories hasn't required that I do a MAJOR diet overhaul (its been slowly evolving over the past year) I found that almost immediately I began to feel really depressed even though I was only cutting out a few snacks and drink refills - and I haven't felt down in quite a long time, not since I've begun working out. The second day I chalked it up to my mood and the lifestyle change, but its grown progressively worse since - crying jags, tension headaches, etc. (And no, its not PMS. :D) I feel heavier than ever (water weight from the 8 cups that are notoriously hard to get in?) and am having trouble feeling good in general.

I suspect it might have something to do with an emotional connection or addiction to food that I wasn't entirely aware of. For instance, I don't drink soda or alcohol so when I come home I like to have really tall, really cold glasses of skim milk. Now I know that sounds absolutely insane but it is what it is. However, when I started counting I realized that even at only 80 per serving I was using up a lot of calories with all the milk consumption (Believe me, I know I'm lucky to have a relatively healthy addiction. :D) Today, I had an extra glass with my breakfast and another in the afternoon and I felt heaps better. Yesterday I knew I'd be seeing a friend of mine, so I fortified myself with a 90 calorie tall skinny iced mocha w/o whip and a) proud of myself for choosing a low-cal indulgence item, and b) see that it lifted my mood and made me much more fun to be around.

Its a long-winded entry, I know - but I really am curious to know if anyone else had a similar reaction when they began dieting and/or counting calories. Was it something that subsided or you were able to resolve? The last thing I want is to eat in order to feel better but at the same time I don't want a diet to impact what is promising to be a really good year for me or interfere with my relationships (on Sunday I actually had to leave my second date with the guy of my dreams after only 15 minutes due to how miserable I felt - and it took me over a YEAR to work up the courage to even ask him out.) Extra workouts haven't worked, but music has to a degree, which is great because there are ZERO calories in "Automatic for the People." :)

Support, tips, stories would be of great help to me. I'm feeling rather glum about the whole thing.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    It's made me micro-manage everything.

I am not super laid back but I am not psycho strict either. However, since joining I have felt a more rigid approach to everything. That I have to get things done now-now-now....that I don't have time to waste.

I am an emotional eater, I eat when I'm happy, sad, stresed, etc.... So logging is a double edged sword. It shows me where I am at, but it also helps me beat the crap outta myself when I go over, or waste calories on something. Which doesn't help why I used to eat.

Also, there is a lot of positive energy here but somehow I seem to be missing out on a lot of it. I am not sure if that is because of my shy/point blank nature or what. I am not able to tap into the true spirit of MFP sometimes. I also see others results or "miniscual" weight needed to be lost and wonder if this would ever work for me.

I was happier when I was just exercising and not really minding my food intake....BUT I wasn't seeing weight loss, just toning up (which is great, but not my sole goal this time).

Does that make sense?
  • tparkin
    tparkin Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    7508.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Could you be going through a sugar withdrawl? I had this problem when I first began, but I worked through it and within a couple of weeks I was fine.

Don't get discouraged, you're doing the right thing!:flowerforyou:
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've had problems with depression for years and realized that my eating excessively was due to depression. I am a little more sad at times because I do not fall back on chocolate, but now that I'm seeing changes in my body and have dropped 12 pounds- I feel amazing...

Be patient and with time you'll get out of this moment of depression, unless there is an underlying issue that really is causing depression... not just dieting.
  • ophelian
    Options
    ChubbyBunny: That makes perfect sense!

I see your point about the benefit/drawbacks of logging. Its an added responsibility as well as a reality check - both of which can be stressful. There's this idea that, like you said, things need to be structured and accomplished now which is akin to a work deadline or exam date you know? Maybe that's something that can impact one's mood when they first start, yeah?

Thanks so much for your perspective, its helped me to think outside of the box and re-evaluate the situation. I hope that you too hit your stride and find the positives sooner rather than later. :)
  • ophelian
    Options
    tparkin: It very well might be sugar withdrawal, I think there's some 11 grams even in skim milk. That would make sense too! Thank you!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It seems that the depression is fairly severe...if it's actually interfering with your social life, you may want to look into some type of therapy. It doesn't have to be a psychiatrist of course; you could take a holistic approach, go to group meetings of some sort, try acupuncture--whatever you feel might help you come to terms with these feelings, because they do sound serious. Actually having to leave a date because you feel so sad and being unable to control your emotions sound too extreme too attribute them to fluctuating dopamine levels due to a dietary change.
  • ophelian
    Options
    I guess I should clarify and note that my depression isn't clinical, its just basic everyday feeling down. As crummy as I feel I can still function and stick with the MFP plan and all that sort of stuff. But thank you very much for the support, I appreciate it. :)
  • ophelian
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I should add that there were additional circumstances contributing to my leaving the date early - not just feeling bummed. But rest assured I work in the mental health field and have resources available should I need them, thank you.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Well good to know THAT isn't a concern (clinical depression/mental illness)!

I have found MANY a reason to walk out (if not assault) a crapy date. :laugh:
  • Mairacrg
    Mairacrg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You guys , I have felt the same way. I am so concious of my weight that it blocks my mind from having fun. I do try to go out wiht my friends once in a while. But not as often as I wish. I am always thinking I could of had dress better if I wasn't this weight. Believe me it feels worst seing stuff from a few years back tht I am not able to wear. That is when it kicks in. But coming on to this website helps me so much. Like when I feel that I am going to eat something I am not supposed to I go online and look at my goal. It is helping. I would just say my depression is not going to go away until I feel that I have accomplish my goal. I think that being healthy and showing my family that was able to defeat this addiction is going to be the happiest day of my life.

I would just say think of the great things that are happening and that will be happening.
  • ophelian
    Options
    ChubbyBunny: LMAO!! Exactly!!

We're talking outdoor barbecue at 10AM and already 85 degrees with his 6th - 12th grade (VERY ANNOYING) students, tables full of junk food I didn't want to/couldn't eat, and someone playing one of those rinky dink Casio keyboards.

Come to think of it, I probably shouldn't attribute leaving to my mood at all - it was just a total WTF situation overall. Officially retracting statement.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm also wondering if you are eating enough? With working out a lot you should be able to have calories left over and it shouldn't be a problem to drink skim milk if you like it. Another question I have is did you cut out all the fun stuff, like treats and sweet things and just sticking to lean meats and vegetables/ I remember reading an article a couple of years ago between the production of seratonin and complex carbs? Since we don't know what style of eating you follow there could be a lot of reasons for feeling blue....
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I should add that there were additional circumstances contributing to my leaving the date early - not just feeling bummed. But rest assured I work in the mental health field and have resources available should I need them, thank you.

AH okay...haha your explanation makes much more sense, I don't like hanging out with 6th graders either! :laugh:
  • ophelian
    Options
    gabi_ele: I did cut out red meat and a lot of sugary/carby things; things I used to really enjoy. I did treat myself to that skinny mocha and it did wonders - so you might be onto something with regards to cutting out the "fun stuff." I am working out a lot and yes, it does provide me with a bank of extra calories but I'm still getting used to thinking of them as "extra." MFP's system is still pretty new to me.

And let's just say that my skim milk consumption is pretty extreme. I'm literally a milkoholic. Even with extra calories and other healthy choices I've had to cut back a lot in order to make room for other nutritious things. :)

Thank you!
  • ophelian
    Options
    Thanks songbyrdsweet!

I realize now that the way I presented it did seem much more serious than it was and I really do appreciate your concerned and thoughtful response. Thank you very much. :)
  • ophelian
    Options
    I can totally sympathize, maicari1! I remember when my wardrobe choices were limited by my weight and what I felt comfortable in too. I never really knew any different and was able to function but I did notice an incredible spike in my confidence level when I started dropping sizes. There was a time when I wouldn't DREAM of walking in front of a guy I liked (butt issues) and the other day it hit me that the guy I'm seeing was standing behind me and I wasn't bothered by it. I thought "Oh wait, my butt looks good now. Yay!"

Just know that you're most definitely not alone and things will change. :)
  • magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    gabi_ele: I did cut out red meat and a lot of sugary/carby things; things I used to really enjoy. I did treat myself to that skinny mocha and it did wonders - so you might be onto something with regards to cutting out the "fun stuff." I am working out a lot and yes, it does provide me with a bank of extra calories but I'm still getting used to thinking of them as "extra." MFP's system is still pretty new to me.

And let's just say that my skim milk consumption is pretty extreme. I'm literally a milkoholic. Even with extra calories and other healthy choices I've had to cut back a lot in order to make room for other nutritious things. :)

Thank you!

Actually, the way that MFP works is that it sets up the amount of calories you're allowed to eat with the understanding that you want to lose weight. So when you exercise, you're allowed to eat EVEN MORE in order to lose the same amount of weight. It's recommended to eat most of your exercise calories.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    A lack of complex carbohydrates can cause a lowering of your serotonin levels, which can cause depression. I have battled it every time I have gone on a low-carb diet.

So, make sure you are eating all your carbs, even if you have to up your calorie limit as well to 1500-1700 a day to get those complex carbs, and start making sure you have plenty of:

whole wheat, stone ground; barley; brown rice, quinoa, almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, natural nut butters like peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter; macademia nuts.

I'm sure others can add to the list.....
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    sure fire way to combat the depression of a weight loss program is exercise exercise exercise. not only do you feel a sense of accomplishment, but it also releases adrenalin and endorphins into the blood which makes you more happy! Good stuff!