thoughts on subway?

Options
I love subway but I was wondering, is it really all that good for you? If you have knowlege, please let me know, its the one food I'm not necissarily ready to give up lol so of you jave tips on what to get, id love to know! Thank you!

Replies

• thooks0614
    thooks0614 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know their "9-whole grains" bread is lacking in the "grains" part and has more high fructose corn syrup in it ...Unless they've changed.

Personally there are so many better places to get a good sandwhich with quality ingredients for the same price, I much prefer going there.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Egg white on English muffin, with ham, spinach, onion, peppers, jalapenos, and tomato! Yummy!!

170 calories and delish.
  • 82cutlass
    82cutlass Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask...I just ate there an hour and a half ago after the gym. They have a new double chicken chopped salad. The sodium and sugar are higher than I'd like, but I'll settle for this as opposed to other fast food options out there.

I have mine with the double oven roasted chicken (hence the name!), lettuce, spinach, green pepper, pickles, onion, banana peppers, black olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded Montery Jack and their sweet onion dressing. Very tasty!

This is the same as the oven roasted chicken sub I get at lunch occasionally minus the 9-grain wheat since I'm trying to avoid starchy carbs in the evenings.

Their website has an awesome nutrition calculator that let's you customize your meal to your tastes and let's you see how your choices affect the totals.

Nutrition info for the salad:

CALORIES 390

Calories from Fat 80

TOTAL FAT (g) 9

Saturated Fat (g) 4.5

Trans Fat* (g) 0

CHOLESTEROL (mg) 115

SODIUM (mg) 1110

CARBOHYDRATES (G) 38

Dietary Fiber (g) 6

Sugars (g) 26

PROTEIN (G) 40

VITAMIN A % DV 60

VITAMIN C % DV 80

CALCIUM % DV 25

IRON % DV 20
  • missliss4763
    missliss4763 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love subway!!!! It can be healthy depending on what you order...I know...as always right! :wink: Here's a link to there website so you can build your healthy subway meal....Enjoy!!! :bigsmile:

http://www.subway.com/nutrition/NutritionList.aspx?id=sandwich&Countrycode=USA
  • missliss4763
    missliss4763 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    P.S....Everything in moderation!! :wink:
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's not the best for you, but I sometimes stop there for lunch in a pinch. I usually order a 6 inch wheat bread with roast beef, all the veggies I can fit on it, and spicy mustard. I'll usually get apple slices on the side, sometimes I'll get baked lays. Sodium is a big pitfall of Subway, but I'm not that worried about my intake and roast beef is the better option.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I heart Subway. My lunch options are very limited (I can't pack from home), so my choices are Gold Star, McD's, or Subway. I choose Subway! I tried the buffalo chicken today for the first time, super yummy!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I eat there about once a month or so. A lot of people will come in here an go "HISS! SODIUM! YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE" and stuff....but I eat everything in moderation and I enjoy it. And as far as eating outside of my home goes, I could do a lot worse than a sub. I like the spicy italian or turkey with bacon. Delicious.
  • Em05us
    Em05us Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I find Subway to be a healthier option versus other fast food restaurants..we try not to eat out at all but hey working 50 hrs a week with 2 kids it happens. The sodium content is outrageous. I just try to make up for it the rest of the time. Calorie wise though it is easy to make good healthy choices there plus there is not a lot of options in the town i live in. So i believe it depends on your situation :)
  • quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Subway is a good option if you're getting a salad. Yes there's tons of sodium but that's at any fast food place no matter how "healthy". However, the bread is also sugar heavy so if you have to go to Subway I would skip it.
  • Jesus_saves
    Options
    I got subway one day, and it was one of the worst food mistakes I made. I thought I was doing something healthy, 9 grain bread, ham, provolone, spinach, bell peppers and lots of other veggies with honey mustard and light mayo. It cost me about 950 of my 1,200 calories for the day! Hard lesson learned!
  • Mollie007
    Options
    I like subway, however it is loaded with sodium. (Though I'm not going to hiss and say you're going to die. lol). I am always puffy in the morning after I eat subway because, inevitably, I always go over my sodium levels for the day due to that one meal.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "good for you."

Personally, I think Subway is a better option compared to other fast food options. It's best to check the calories ahead of time as you may be surprised at what all has a large amount of calories.

But, it does have a high amount of sodium and I'm sure other nutritional defects. It would probably be healthier to make meals at home from scratch.

That being said, I had a Subway sandwich for supper tonight and it was delicious >.<
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    That and Jimmy Johns are the only fast food options for this family. I always get my "subs" made into a salad with no cheese. At JJ, I order my turkey sandwich as an unwich.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    It's not the best for you, but I sometimes stop there for lunch in a pinch. I usually order a 6 inch wheat bread with roast beef, all the veggies I can fit on it, and spicy mustard. I'll usually get apple slices on the side, sometimes I'll get baked lays. Sodium is a big pitfall of Subway, but I'm not that worried about my intake and roast beef is the better option.

Agreed. I don't eat out much, but if I'm in a situation where I need something quick, cheap, and I'm out in the suburbs, I go to Subway.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat fast food, but I ate it today. It's my go to if I have to. Just check the nutritional data.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's food. If you stay under your calorie goal you will lose weight. If you lose weight, you'll be healthier overall. Period.

I'm typing this on my phone from Wendys. Losing weight is as easy add you want to make it.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    taste wise, horrible. I don't know if they changed somethings over the years or if my tastebuds changed. I used to enjoy Subway. I can't ever seem to get a good tasting sub there any more.

Much prefer Jimmy Johns or Jersey Mike's
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    Too many carbs for me, not wasting them on subs!:ohwell:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    The bread is pretty awful for you, so I always just get salads. It sucks though because the salads are not that big and they cost as much or more than the sandwiches. And of course you have to watch out for the dressing too. Subway is the healthiest place within walking distance of my job, so I go there almost every day, but if I had more options I wouldn't be there so often. It's definitely not the worst choice, fast-food wise, but it's not nearly as healthy as stuff you could cook at home.