Beginner with free weights..

Options
So I have a few random questions! Im hoping someone can answer some questions for me. I have lost a significant amount of weight doing cardio.. Just started with MFP again and want to go a different route. Ive always avoided the section of the gym with free weights and balls and such because i simply have no idea what im doing !!!!! I have seen alot of (after) pictures where people use weight training to really tone! Im 165 lbs so i have alot of weight to lose still, but think i would get bigger results if i started lifting now. Am I right? Does anyone have tips or some good sites I can look at to start.. how many sets/reps should i do? Thanks :) any advice is greatly appreciated..
xo

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I love using light handweights. Dumbbells. Go to You Tube and look up "Fitness Blender". They have a whole series of videos for strength training with dumbbells. I'd suggest doing some of those videos at home, with or without weights, to just get familiar with it.

But as for actually doing it in the gym, I think you're best off asking for someone to show you around and train you on how to use the equipment.
  • xojessieannexo
    xojessieannexo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    definetly! Thank you:)
  • leaffan12
    leaffan12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I love using light handweights. Dumbbells. Go to You Tube and look up "Fitness Blender". They have a whole series of videos for strength training with dumbbells. I'd suggest doing some of those videos at home, with or without weights, to just get familiar with it.

But as for actually doing it in the gym, I think you're best off asking for someone to show you around and train you on how to use the equipment.

I agree. Fitness Blender is great. I ONLY do work-outs at home, as I can't stand working out around other people. Fitness Blender is my number 1 go to as they have all the HIIT on it. It also has other things too, but It's worked wonders on my muscles! There is also Livestrong and Befit in 90 as well. I like Blogilates as well. There are SOO much on YouTube. You should try browsing it :)
  • xojessieannexo
    Options
    such good tips!! thanks:)
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is a good place to look too. Great tools on that website, not just workout plans.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I like this site and its cute animated .gifs :-)
    http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/

For instance:
    10.gif
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    learn proper form thats very important and take your time
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You're in for a whole new world of awesomeness.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I hired a trainer for 3 sessions to show me how to lift properly, learn how to pay attention to my body so I know when to up the weight, proper form, etc. FORM IS EVERYTHING!
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    BodyforLIfe.com has a lot of good information, exercise plans, and how to :)
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    As a beginner:

Focus on compound moves (uses more than 1 joint).
    Free weights activate supporting muscle much more than machines, so you get more out of it per rep.
    Take a couple of sessions with a trainer to take you through the proper form on the various exercises.
    As a beginner, you can do a full body workout 3 days a week and get tremendous benefit.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is a good place to look too. Great tools on that website, not just workout plans.

Bodybuilding.com also has short videos that show how to do each exercise....
  • livs_mom
    Options
    bump
  • xojessieannexo
    Options
    awesome!! thank you guys :)
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've been working out with free weights for almost 30 years. I get the best results with high intensity super slow weight lifting. I can get the same workout with lighter weights and less possibility of injuring myself.
  • xojessieannexo
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is awesome!! thanks!