I live upstairs and don't know any queit excercises

Options
Can anyone help guide me to which excercised i can do without jumping, running, ect. I live upstairs and my downstairs neighbor is mean. Is there cardio that i can do silently? I do have 2 five pound hand weights. Can you please let me know how many reps to do and for how long, ect. I am totally new to this so any advice would help. Thanks::)

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Pilates! This is why I originally started it - needed to ease into exercise and I live upstairs in a thinly walled set of apartments. I use Youtube Pop Pilates - Beginner's Workout. Trainer's name is Cassie - it's really basic stuff (really I think a Pilates warmup?) but I'm still working on getting it down.

It's low impact, non-cardio, and feels great.
  • Zandia_1
    Zandia_1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a nasty neighbor downstairs too and I just take off my shoes when exercising. He complains about the dog walking around (because of her toenails on the hardwood floor) but doesn't complain about me exercising because I'm quiet enough.
  • MarthaLoraine
    MarthaLoraine Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem.. if its my weight training day i do it without shoes and on cardio days i just do it at a time a day he can't complain..
    Besides my neighbor blares his music all day and smokes right outside my door even though he knows it gives me asthma attacks.
  • raylener
    raylener Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. Quick question, how did you get your my fitness thingy to show your measurements and goals like that? It's really cool!
  • raylener
    Options
    i have the same problem.. if its my weight training day i do it without shoes and on cardio days i just do it at a time a day he can't complain..
    Besides my neighbor blares his music all day and smokes right outside my door even though he knows it gives me asthma attacks.

Now that's rude! You should complain about the smoking! That's a real health hazard!
  • MarthaLoraine
    MarthaLoraine Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Now that's rude! You should complain about the smoking! That's a real health hazard!

I have but he doesn't even care what the landlord has to say. He is so rude and kind of scary.
    But my lease is up and i'm moving away from him!
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My wife and I actually did P90X (with some modifications) while living on the third floor of an apartment. We were careful but still got some complaints. With their smoking and loud music we never felt too badly, though. It was definitely worth it.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    fitness blender on youtube has a workout designed specifically for people like you. I think its call the quiet workout
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Upper-and-Lower-Body-Cycle/11030094

I got this little thing at Walmart for $25. I've seen them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond also.

It's basically just a little free-standing bike pedaler. Just the pedals on a stand. You sit in a kitchen chair. You can also set it on the table and do it with your hands for some arm work. It's not the best thing in the world. But it's quiet, inexpensive, and it folds almost flat so you can stash it in the closet.
  • jallison12
    Options
    Plank
    Silent, like a ninja
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    er. go outside and run.
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Do you have a couch? All innuendos aside, you could lay on your back and use the weights in all sorts of ways...repetitive lifts, "bicyclying", situps, etc, etc. The cushions of the couch will eliminate any thumping.
  • Tamika_84
    Tamika_84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had a neighbor like that but I told them to get over it. It's about an hour a day, it's not that serious.
  • HealthyWithStephanie
    Options
    I have seen the videos from Pop Pilates are really good for toning, balance and fun!
    Yoga is a great one too, there is gentle and more of a flow yoga which is really great cardio.
    Mostly body weight exercises pushups, ab work (planks, supermans, bicycles), squats, hip bridges.
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    http://www.willpowermethod.com/

I'm a big fan of Willpower Cardio yoga. It actually does make me feel like a ninja.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing is an effective cardio exercise that doesn't require jumping, and the same with running man. You can also do pushups, planks, calisthenics and/or work with dumb bells or exercise bands.

Try some of the JM videos and skip the jumping part, and/or the Butt Bible. Good luck and have fun!
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    30 minutes of Walking up and down your stairs... as long as the mean >:-/ neighbor can't hear you doing this too....

http://stairway.phac-aspc.gc.ca/calcalc.aro

The link will tell you how many calories YOU will lose with your height/weight specifics.
  • fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell cardio doesn't involve that much movement. Good luck!
  • raylener
    Options

I have but he doesn't even care what the landlord has to say. He is so rude and kind of scary.
    But my lease is up and i'm moving away from him!

That's cool. Geez, what a jerk!
  • raylener
    Options
    I looked up fitness blender on you tube. I think I will try that one. Thanks everyone!