What to say???

Options
I get compliments frequently about my weight loss. It is usually followed by the person adding in "I could lose about 40 lbs myself" , "I know I am over weight, but I am happy", etc .........It seems to be followed by a negative statement about the person giving the compliment. It makes me feel bad. I don't know what to say. Any advice? Or what would you say?

Replies

• Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I usually throw in a free plug for MFP and talk about the hard work, commitment and lifestyle change it takes to be successful. They don't usually listen because they'd rather hear about the next miracle weight loss fad, but at least I gave it a shot. I swear I should be a paid promotional rep for MFP!!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Just say thank you. You can tell the ones that are interested in the answer and those that just are making conversation.

I get the how did you do it? All the time, if they are sincere I tell them. If they are just making conversation I say, " Mexican diet pills and crystal meth". This always satisfies them.
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Normally, if someone makes a comment like, "I could lose some weight myself", I typically ask, "what are you currently doing to try to lose weight?" It normally gets a positive conversation started and I may offer a couple of suggestions to help.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Just say, 'You look great as you are! But if you ever do want to know the gory details of how I'm doing it, let me know, because I could talk your ear off' (because most people who've lost weight can). And then change the subject fast.