GF and Diabetic Diet and trying to lose weight??

Options
2»

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Read Forks over KNives.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and lead a gluten free lifestyle, but I tend to be low carb, high fat, and high/moderate protein. Feel free to friend me. I try to track my food daily :)
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason they can't eat the same foods as you? I'm a Celiac as well and my Hubby eats what I do at home. When he's at a work or we go out he eats whatever he wants - it took us a few months to figure it out (back in 2008 when we started) but now it's simple and easy.

Rice pasta isn't that different. GF doesn't mean it tastes bad - not at all. You just have to learn a new standard of food. How old are your kids? It might be a great way to teach them about choosing what goes into their bodies.

For the diabetic side of things, protein, veggies, nuts, seeds, fruits, etc. You could ask to see a dietitian, or you could change the way the whole family eats for the better.

Are you insulin dependant? Or on metformin?
  • fatladysings72
    Options
    Is there a reason they can't eat the same foods as you? I'm a Celiac as well and my Hubby eats what I do at home. When he's at a work or we go out he eats whatever he wants - it took us a few months to figure it out (back in 2008 when we started) but now it's simple and easy.

Rice pasta isn't that different. GF doesn't mean it tastes bad - not at all. You just have to learn a new standard of food. How old are your kids? It might be a great way to teach them about choosing what goes into their bodies.

For the diabetic side of things, protein, veggies, nuts, seeds, fruits, etc. You could ask to see a dietitian, or you could change the way the whole family eats for the better.

Are you insulin dependant? Or on metformin?

metformin and my husband actually hates pasta, rice and tolerates potatoes, I am just not used to cooking this way, coming from a casserole, soup family. I actually like the brown rice pasta and have been using it for years.... now I don't want to until my sugar comes down then I will moderate from that point on.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    metformin and my husband actually hates pasta, rice and tolerates potatoes, I am just not used to cooking this way, coming from a casserole, soup family. I actually like the brown rice pasta and have been using it for years.... now I don't want to until my sugar comes down then I will moderate from that point on.

have you been tested for T1 or LADA? T1's have a higher incidence of celiac's than the regular population.
    It might be worth a c-peptide test, or having your GAD65 (antibodies associated with beta cell destruction) tested.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I can eat brown rice and potatoes and corn. No oatmeal, flax, wheat, or rye. I can do buckwheat and quinoa. But right now I am trying to avoid most carbs since my sugar is very high and I am trying to get it down quickly and lose weight. I am also allergic to sunflower oil and seeds, zucchini, basil, milk and of course wheat.

Is there a written rule somewhere that says we have to eat carbs at every meal????

For two years now, I make a lean and green meal for dinner every night. This means no starchy carbs. My meals always consist of about 5-7 oz of lean protein and 1-1/2 cups of green veggies or 3 cups of salad. Simple. I don't miss the potatoes, fries, the rice, the bread, the pasta AT ALL.

Tonight's dinner: Roasted turkey breast and spaghetti squash with light laughing cow cheese and canned tomatoes. My carbs come from veggies for the most part (sometimes yogurt).
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

If you stick to just LEAN and GREEN--your sugars will come down easily. I lost my weight on a program that manages blood sugar levels and my prediabetic state disappeared. People with diabetes are coming off meds and put into remission with this program.
  • Rotag1
    Rotag1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm just starting with this program, my diet started Sept 20th. Diabeties, High BP...it was time. My little brother told me to try low carb. Say NO to Bread, Potato, Rice and fried food. I found this website with great receipes that has given me good tasting stuff to eat, never hungry and I went down 30lbs in 60 days! Check out www.genaw.com/lowcarb/menus Good luck
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I am already managing with celiac's and I am stuggling with what to prepare for dinners for the family that I can eat. High protein, lower fat, no grains and only fiber from veggies and some fruit. So frustrated. Help!

Have you been referred to a registered dietician (not a nutritionist, you want someone with high level medical/ healthcare qualifications)? If you try to go low carb and low fat at the same time you are likely to end up with nutrient deficiencies, and these are already associated with both coeliac and with type 2 diabetes. If you do not/ cannot eat many grains and don't wish to eat pulses you must have far more tree nuts, seeds and cocoa for minerals, plus plenty of green vegetables. If you don't want to eat much tree nuts and seeds for the fat you really ought to be eating beans and lentils. All carbs are not created equal for diabetics any more than for coeliacs, research the glycaemic index.

Switch out all grains and high GI carbs for low glycaemic index ones - beans and lentils, low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables. Don't rely on gluten free peocessed carbs like pasta and bread, most of these are based on long grain rice, corn and white potato ALL of which behave much the same as sugar in the body. Eat plenty of oily fish for protein and essential fatty acids, long chain omega-3s are powerful anti inflammatories beneficial in both your conditions. If you eat the canned stuff with the crumbly bones you will get a little minerals.

Any diet for you should be wholefood, home prepared and nutritionally balanced, so should be suitable for the whole family with slight modifications. IMO your husband should be supportive and setting a good example on healthy eating for your children so there is no reason for him not to eat much the same as you. There is an incredible amount of overlap in what sort of diet is beneficial in preventing or treating numerous health complaints, and your children are at risk of diabetes in later life, what they eat now is highly relevant.

Balancing their blood sugar with the glycaemic index, eating a wide range of nutrient dense whole foods, lots of oily fish, fruits and veggies should make your doctor and dietician smile. It will do them absolutely no harm whatsoever not to eat wheat, barley, rye, rice, corn and white potatoes providing as they eat other foods that supply the same nutrients.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I'm type one diabetic and my partner is gluten-free, so I feel your pain! You'll see some gluten snacks in my diary, but I'm trying to go back to lower carb as well, because my blood sugar has been crap lately. My diary is open- feel free to persuse my meals, although don't judge my holiday madness! ;)

I learned a ton from the forums at diabetesforums.com. the people are awesome.

And the most helpful book I ever read when I was first diabetic was Dr. Bernsteins Diabetes solution. http://www.diabetes-book.com/ I can't be happy eating quite as low-carb as he recommends, but he really helps you understand. I'm not sure your reasons for eating low-fat, but if it's just the traditional "diabetics and heart disease" thing, i would re-think it if you're going to eat low-carb.

You really can do this. It's overwhelming, but you will learn a lot, and we are all here to help! High blood sugar also makes you feel depressed, so just stick with it and you will feel so much better.

Thanks so much! You just made me feel so much better. It is overwhelming and I am tired of being frustrated with it. The only reason I wanted to do lower fat... not low fat is because I am trying to lose weight quickly. That's the only reason.

Since new years I have been really focused on lower carb ,100 grams, higher protein and higher fat. I have my calories set at 1500 (I am 5'7", female, 150 currently) and I am having a hard time getting up to them. This may not work for everyone of course, but for me, it seems perfect. I am losing weight, I do not feel deprived or hungry, and I have more energy. My blood sugar is finally stabilizing. The fat makes a big difference. The days I eat lower fat, I do not feel as good, and I am hungry. I eat meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, and veggies primarily, with some fruit. That''s pretty much it. I am having no cravings. After 10 days, I have lost 2 inches on my waist, 3 pounds, and my skin looks amazing.

I'm wondering how this is going for you, and how you are feeling? I hope that you've been able to gain more of a sense of control. Over the past 10 years I have gone up and down, sometimes feeling like a total failure, and then getting back into a good routine. Be patient with yourself like you would with a struggling friend.