Need major support... total changes necessary

Options

Replies

• sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me chris. I am in a constant battle w/ stress eating and comfort food. I am winning right now but that could flip on a dime. Watch portions, it sucks at 1st but i promise your body will get used to normal portions. when i binge i get nauseous now. log log log...even the bad days even the binges. it helps you keep urself accountable. Good luck. there is a supportive bunch of people out here. I have many of them on my friends list.
  • TreeHugger2013
    TreeHugger2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome to the site! That is a step in the right direction and the fact that you are reaching out to people is another good thing. This site is amazing for support! Friend request on the way!
  • cllovesdw4eva
    Options
    I added you as a friend. When you have kiddies involved.....that gets me where I live.

Im doing the mens health belly off right now. I just started this week.

Basically we have to start by finding some way to rid ourselves of the"cheap" carbs....for me that means white bread, alcohol, and pasta. Consider it poison if that helps. Im starting to hate the fact that white bread and sodas ever existed.

I am doing a 2 minute drill every morning. Bodyweight calisthenics for 15 second intervals. It wears you out but it wakes you up and gets you burning.

See if you can start with me to this point.............eliminate cheap sugars and give me 2 minutes in the morning. After that, I can call you, and we can get our jog/walk on.

I promise you this weight is coming off. Both our lives and our families are depending on us.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like support! Congratulations on getting motivated to change your life. You CAN do it. The main thing I learned about losing weigh is that you have to get ok with being uncomfortable. I know that I used to use food to comfort myself and you just need to be antsy or agitated until you learn to tell yourself no!

Like most people said, it's all about baby steps. Ease into it. Start small by just counting your calories and seeing what you're actually taking in for the day. Then maybe start with a small walk every other day. Then start changing your diet... measure and portion control to stay within your calories, exercise to start earning more food for the day!

Snacking while watching TV is my downfall. I found not watching TV helped... but if that isn't an option, try a different snack. Carrots are crunch and delicious. So is airpopped popcorn (no butter or "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray... try some cajun spices or pepper to add some kick.

Try a subscription to Cooking Light (or check it out online) for delicious recipes that are better for you. No need to change every little thing all at once. Seeing successes with your small changes will motivate you to make more! Best of luck to you, my friend. Your daughters need you!
  • magicherry
    magicherry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Chris! You can do it! Set small goals, take it one step at a time.

You. Can. Do. This.
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have found this blog to be very helpful and encouraging.

http://www.300poundsdown.com/page/12

I also read the success stories daily. I find it very uplifting and motivational.

Now to quote the person from the blog above.

30 seconds is all it takes to change your life.

You can do this. Congratulations on the first step and the first 30 seconds.
  • karolynnc411
    karolynnc411 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris!

My name is Karolynn and your story hit home for me. My father is in the exact same position except both my brother and I are in our 20s now. He has never listened to the doctors' advice and is paying for it now - but still will not and refuses to change his ways. He knows what he is supposed to do but he just doesn't do it because it's "too hard."

I want to congratulate you on making the decision to lose weight and join MFP. I have been on and off of this site for a long time, but have found that every time I use it, I stick to it and lose the weight. My advice to you would be not only to have this place be the first thing you log on to in the morning, but to add it to your homepages in your browser or make it your homepage. That way, when you open the internet, it will be one of the first things you see and you will be reminded to log your food/exercise for that day. This has helped me a lot.

If you need anything, feel free to message any of us and we will be sure to help :)
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have high bp and doc told me I have to lose weight too. You can do this. Friend me if you like. ;-)
  • TheKidd2013
    TheKidd2013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Welcome ! I'm glad you have made the right decision to help yourself and Congrats! So far (I'm fairly a newbie) I am loving it! Most everyone I've become buddies with have been nothing but encouraging and helpful throughout this process so far and hope you find that connection as well! This site is a great start to a new beginning for you! Small baby steps and this is to me was the first step to a great journey, a tough one but everyone here is there to encourages you along the way! Please feel free to add me if you like!
  • cletourn
    Options
    I have not listened to my doctors in the past. I am now. I am also seeking support wherever I can fine it. I know I can't do this alone. Sooner or later I think we all come to the realization that we are mortal and can't continue to live our lives the way we "want" to. Finding myself unable to participate in activities with my two daughters has brought reality crashing in on me.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi
    If YOU are ready, then YOU will succeed. Sounds like you are ready. Check out some of the success stories in the forum - they will inspire you and show what can be done. Especially Ed Davenport - he is just incredible.

Small steps, be honest with your diary, log everything, get a set of digital scales to weight your food. Review your diary, think about what you could have done better - and do it. Get some exercise - even if it is just walking a short distance. Each day do a little more. Drink plenty of water. Cut back on processed stuff. Increase vegies and fruit. Try and eat to your target.

You have started what will be a lifelong change for your health. If you falter, just get back up and keep going.

Good luck Chris :smile:
  • Itsallbs15
    Itsallbs15 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Chris. To start, read this forum http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12. It helped me with making some changes to the way I was eating and to put my focus in other areas. You definitely made the right move by joininng this site. There are very knowledgable people here who will do what they can to give you motivation. Best of luck. Friend request will be sent momentarily.
    BRENDA

The link isn't working due to the period at the end of the sentence being included. Try this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Thanks for fixing that!
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris! Welcome to MFP.

The thing I figured out along the way is that to be successful you don't have to be perfect. You have a bad day, don't stress. The next morning you've got a brand new diary page to work on! I stick to my allotted calories and allow myself one cheat meal a week. The only thing I have completely cut out of my diet is high calorie drinks (switched to flavored water). With anything else, I can figure out a portion size that will fit into my calories or save it for my cheat meal on Saturday. Find lots of low cal snacks and stock up. You don't have to live on seeds and berries. Patience is the most important part. At some point the weight will not come off as fast as you want. Don't give up when you get to this point. It takes time but persistence will pay off. All you have to do is be healthier than you were before you started.
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris! Feel free to add me... This community is awesome and you WILL achieve your goals! Sometimes it takes the motivation of total strangers to really put things into perspective and to know that people believe in you! I'm sorry you have had things to deal with previously, but today is a new sunny day and we are all here rooting for you!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I have not listened to my doctors in the past. I am now. I am also seeking support wherever I can fine it. I know I can't do this alone. Sooner or later I think we all come to the realization that we are mortal and can't continue to live our lives the way we "want" to. Finding myself unable to participate in activities with my two daughters has brought reality crashing in on me.

Glad to hear it. I'm not really the motivational or supportive type, but I do have a little advice. Start slow, go slow. It took you a very, very long time to get to your current weight. You will sabotage your efforts if you try to force your body to be rid of it all at once. A friend told me that weight loss is like a seat-belt - - if you jerk it hard and quickly, it stops; but if you ease up and pull gently, it moves quite nicely.

Find a good, healthy calorie target, log all of your food, eat what you like, and just see how things go. Measure more than just scale weight, too; measure your waist, arms, thighs and neck. You will need those baselines when you get discouraged - - you'll be able to see progress continuing on your measurements even when they sometimes plateau on the scale. Take some candid and honest photos so that you can compare your "today" to your "then" . . . I've done that and, when I get discouraged, I can look at me "then" and think about how proud he is of me "now", even if me-now is still working on things.

No fads, no gimmicks, no pills, cleanses, or psycho workout routines. Just start with the diet, and things will gradually fall into place for you.
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Welcome Chris!! A thousand mile journey begins with one step! You have made that step and a wise choice in reaching out for help. Start slow, keep a positve attitude, and never give up!!

Sheila
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Great advice already.

Late night eating. Stop and think about what is going in your mouth, and why. Is that wonderful tasting cake worth your kids not having you around when they are walking down the aisle?

You can do it if you want to!
  • jkimmett
    jkimmett Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are, almost 2 years ago now I made the choice to get healthier for my family and for myself. Best decision of my life! It has been a long hard road with plenty of ups and downs but worth every heartbreaking moment. You can do this. You know what to do, I think we all know what we are supposed to do, its getting the motivation and drive to do it. You daughters and your life are your motivation. Wake up every morning thankful you woke up and with a renewed sense of commitment to your health. Making small goals definitely helped me, yes I had a big picture I wanted to achieve, but first it was goals in much smaller increments. I have lost 138lbs, it took me over a year, that's a long time to stay motivated and committed. I logged on here every day and logged every single thing that went into my mouth. It was my focus, my life for over an entire year. Congratulations on taking that first step, now take another.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options

Glad to hear it. I'm not really the motivational or supportive type, but I do have a little advice. Start slow, go slow. It took you a very, very long time to get to your current weight. You will sabotage your efforts if you try to force your body to be rid of it all at once. A friend told me that weight loss is like a seat-belt - - if you jerk it hard and quickly, it stops; but if you ease up and pull gently, it moves quite nicely.

Find a good, healthy calorie target, log all of your food, eat what you like, and just see how things go. Measure more than just scale weight, too; measure your waist, arms, thighs and neck. You will need those baselines when you get discouraged - - you'll be able to see progress continuing on your measurements even when they sometimes plateau on the scale. Take some candid and honest photos so that you can compare your "today" to your "then" . . . I've done that and, when I get discouraged, I can look at me "then" and think about how proud he is of me "now", even if me-now is still working on things.

No fads, no gimmicks, no pills, cleanses, or psycho workout routines. Just start with the diet, and things will gradually fall into place for you.

Some great advice you have been given Chris - this one resonates with me - so sensible. I love the seat belt analogy.

Hope you are feeling good about your decision - this will be day two for you, many more good days to come :smile:
  • slimntrim0884
    Options
    I personally feel the most important thing you can do is take it one day at a time. Do not allow yourself to become discouraged or overwhelmed by the decision you have made. Baby steps....you will do great!

Good luck! :)