Eating because you're bored!

Options
I eat because I am bored, and I don't know what to do about it. I thought I was an emotional eater, but the only time I "emotionally" eat is when I'm to stressed to think about what I'm eating, not b/c I'm sad or happy, etc.

Does anybody have tips on how to control the bored eating (aside from finding something to do), because sometimes that just isn't possible?

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Don't keep snacks in the house or in the office. If you want something, make yourself go out and buy it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above.

Also, keep yourself busy so you are less apt to be bored.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I'll throw a piece of gum in and chew on that for a while as well as drink a Nalgene's worth of water (1000mL). That usually does the trick for me. YMMV.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I chew gum when I am tempted to eat, but not really hungry.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. i also eat when I'm bored (mostly at work).

I only bring so many snacks with me each day. And I don't keep a lot of cash/change so I'm not tempted by the vending machine. If I want something, I make myself walk the few blocks to CVS/Starbucks/Where ever. At least I get a little exercise in if I must have something. And usually the walk/fresh air help with the boredom.

I drink water constantly and chew gum when I want to eat something.
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree with not keeping anything in the house. If there is NOTHING to snack on... then you wont snack. That means clearing everything out that could be considered a snack. When I get the urge to eat, I get something that takes work to eat it. Like an orange, this way you are still fulfilling the need to eat but it takes time to eat it. This way your not eating an entire bag of chips because it simple <open... eat.> I only keep yogurts and fruits. Hits the spot for me.

**I said "this way" entirely to much in this post LOL
  • DeirdreMum8
    Options
    for me it helps to plan out the day, pre record what I will eat so I have a plan. I factor in 3 snacks because I am happier with snacks even if it means less at meals. I love Adkins treat bars because of the protein and fiber. But the planning helps me not over do it and stay on track for the day :smile:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum helps, and a lot of the time I'll crochet or draw just to keep my hands busy.
  • deb231
    deb231 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Raising my hand because I do the same exact thing. I have found by not keeping tempting items in the house, keeps me from snacking. I just don't seem to have the will power to leave it alone, I only have it in the grocery store. :)

Good Luck
  • perezke91
    perezke91 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!! I appreciate it!
  • perezke91
    perezke91 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!! I appreciate it!
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I have a problem with bored eating too. And I have the opposite problem with emotional "eating". As in, when I get really emotional I DON'T want to eat. I actually have to force myself to eat. Luckily (or unluckily?) I'm fairly emotionally stable when not in a relationship, lol.

I naturally do the "don't keep snack food around" thing, but it really just pisses me off that I can't find anything to eat without cooking it. Chewing gum doesn't help because something about the constant mindless chewing makes me slightly nauseous. I think I really need to work more on recognizing that I'm not actually hungry, I'm really just bored and then intercept myself. Or force myself to wait and see if actual hunger develops.