Drink half your weight in water?

Options
My trainer friend told me this. Seems like sooooo much water. Has anyone heard this too?

Replies

• solynea
    solynea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You should drink all that water in a day?
  • taraw0503
    taraw0503 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Crazy right? Just looked it up and she's right.

"Experts agree that the amount of water one needs for health and ideal weight is half of one's weight in ounces of water each day."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Personally I do. But there isn't any scientific evidence to conclude that's what you need to do for perfect health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    You're going to hear that water has no magical weight loss properties, and there are studies done to debunk the 8-8oz of water a day theory.

I drink 3L a day. Helps keep me full.. I think you should drink what you're comfortable with
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    If my calculations are correct I "need" 17 glasses of water a day, I usually drink from 10 - 14, so i'm not too far off.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My trainer friend told me this. Seems like sooooo much water. Has anyone heard this too?

That sounds crazy to me. But then, I don't weigh my water. I just drink it. I usually drink about a half a gallon during the day when I'm at work, then another 12-20 ounces at home. But I have no inclination to weigh it.

ETA: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821181-myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You need to drink enough for your urine to be very pale yellow and to not be thirsty. Drinking excessive amounts of water puts a strain on your kidneys and can deplete your body of minerals that it needs. Most people naturally get more than enough fluids through the day with food and drink without guzzling gallons of water as well.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options

That sounds crazy to me. But then, I don't weigh my water. I just drink it. I usually drink about a half a gallon during the day when I'm at work, then another 12-20 ounces at home. But I have no inclination to weigh it.

ETA: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821181-myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements

You don't actually weigh it. It's half your weight (pounds) in ounces of water. Example: Me = 185#. 185/2=92.5. I should have 92.5 ounces of water in a day.

I drink a lot of water. I do lose better when I do that, and I feel fuller through the day.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You need to drink enough for your urine to be very pale yellow and to not be thirsty. Drinking excessive amounts of water puts a strain on your kidneys and can deplete your body of minerals that it needs. Most people naturally get more than enough fluids through the day with food and drink without guzzling gallons of water as well.

My urine is never pale yellow thanks to my vitamins that turn it glow in the dark.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My urine is never pale yellow thanks to my vitamins that turn it glow in the dark.
    But what does it look like in the light? lol

Even the "8 glasses of water a day" rule is a whole lot of water for me. I just have no desire to be sipping on water ALL day. I drink when I'm thirsty and judging by my urine, it's plenty. I think there is definitely more to be said for being in tune with your own body rather than broad scientific guidelines. They're just that - an AVERAGE of the people they studied. Whereas you're an individual and it's all about finding the balance that's right for you.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Eat when your hungry, drink when your thirsty, exercise even if your tired.
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options

A nutritionist I went to see told me the same thing, drink untill your urine is pale yellow, anything darker means you need to drink more water!
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Eat when your hungry, drink when your thirsty, exercise even if your tired.

AMEN to this!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I fill a gallon jug in the morning, usually finish it by lunch time, refill it and sip on it the rest of the day.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The heavy you are the more water you need to drink, so that leaves me with a lot of water to drink at 307lbs!! I bought this huge 100 ounce Big Gulp cup. I fill it up first thing in the morning. I do add a decaf tea bag to it for flavor. I try to fill it twice a day, but most of the time I dont finish it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I drink however much water my body wants. I've never understood why people go with the idea that you should only eat when you're hungry, but you should drink even when you aren't thirsty.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My surgeon told me this little piece of advice... for BOTH water and protein... the ideal amount is "your ideal weight in kilograms"... and since I weight train, I up it by about 20 grams/ounces on workout days. This was/is actually do-able for me and made more sense then "half your weight" (though half of my weight in lbs is almost the same as my ideal in kg).
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    This is ounces, right? Sounds about right. If you weigh 200 lbs, that's 16 pints or so of water, which is about what I drink.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I have heard this as well. So, if you are 200 lbs, you should be drinking 100 ounces of water a day (so "they" say).
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    don't drink half your actual weight in water.
    you'll die.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill

be very careful when drinking more than seems natural. you deplete your body of trace minerals & salts which are vital for life.