Winter Boots!

Options
Restlessme
Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
Hey, wasn't sure where to put this, so crossing my fingers!

I'll be moving to a new college this semester (MSU!!) and my apartment is about a 20-30 minute walk from most of my classes. Since I'm attempting to lose weight...and frankly can't afford a bus pass right now, I'll be walking everywhere.

Does anyone have recommendations for really good (really cheap) winter boots? I've pretty fashion-less, so they definitely don't need to be the greatest looking.

Replies

• therealsuperbigrob
    therealsuperbigrob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Since ur going to MSU I think you should get boots with nails for insoles. J/K Go Blue... Look at Rocky Bransons. They will last you for the rest of your life, are waterproof and go good with any kind of pant.
  • Restlessme
    Options
    Since ur going to MSU I think you should get boots with nails for insoles. J/K Go Blue... Look at Rocky Bransons. They will last you for the rest of your life, are waterproof and go good with any kind of pant.

Lmao, thankfully I'm not a huge football fan at all. I actually loved visiting U of M, but was entirely confused by the layout of their campus! I'll look at Rocky Bransons now, thanks :)
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If you have an army/navy supply store anywhere near you, military combat boots can be a good cheap option.
  • siehatsdrauf
    siehatsdrauf Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    make sure they are waterproof, having wet/cold feet and getting sick is no fun at all!
  • therealsuperbigrob
    therealsuperbigrob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The Rockies are kinda pricey but well worth it for how long they will last you. The comfort level. Find a boot store or go to cabelas and try them on and find your size then order online to save some money.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like red wing shoes.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Saw these on sale in the latest Land's End catalog.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-function-snow-boots~244213_-1.html
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    I would go with flats or smallish wedges, no heels. Probably go for either a light to medium brown or even grey... grey would go with more things. And intead of those silly ankle boots or the one that go all the way up to the knee... go for 3/4 of the way up to the knee. I think it's more flattering. Good luck.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of snow boots from Lands End on sale at Sears after Christmas last year for under $30. They are really warm and waterproof so they are good in the snow. it might be hit or miss this time of year, but might be worth checking out.
  • wjleffi
    wjleffi Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Do not underestimate the socks you wear. You want anything except cotton, and if it's really cold use wool with possibly a thin sock underneath.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Why not go old school classic with a pair of L.L. Bean's Gumboots!

$(KGrHqR,!hoFBs0Pd1qoBQfuT9)VBQ~~60_35.JPG

These are waterproof, you can get them in Thinsulate, Shearling etc., and they are waterproof. Comes in light or dark brown too. Tried and tested, these boots have a long history of proven performance.

They aren't that expensive, often go on sale and will last a good bit longer than something cheap and flimsy.

Otherwise, if you want something cheap, you could get a pair of Gabriella Rocha's for around $40 or a pair of Dirty Laundry boots for under $30. Zappos has them on sale.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of Bog Boots, totally waterproof, good to minus ridiculous and they get me from rainy November through to the end of slushy April without my feet getting too hot. Best boot investment I've ever made.

http://www.bogsfootwear.ca

and the fact that they look like giant rubber boots makes them all the better in my opinion!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    http://warmfurboots.com/nakiukcheckerfurboots.htm

The warmest/waterproof boots ever! They also last a lifetime.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Why not go old school classic with a pair of L.L. Bean's Gumboots!

$(KGrHqR,!hoFBs0Pd1qoBQfuT9)VBQ~~60_35.JPG

These are waterproof, you can get them in Thinsulate, Shearling etc., and they are waterproof. Comes in light or dark brown too. Tried and tested, these boots have a long history of proven performance.

I swore by these in my years in East Lansing! Of course, that was 20 years ago, but these are classic.
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If there is a Farm & Fleet/Fleet Farm nearby, check them out. I have found some great winter boots there for around $25.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't know which city you are in but if it's as cold as where I live (Canadian Prairies) you may want to look into hunting boots. I got a pair and they are good for -40 C. I paid them 30$. They are black, they look like rubber boots that go up to the knees. My coat goes down to my ankle so my outdoor look is not a big deal.
  • Restlessme
    Options
    These are all FANTASTIC recommendations! Thank you so much everyone :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I'm currently looking through them all now :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Totes brand. They are affordable, they last and they "can" be stylish (kinda) if you find the right pair. I had a pair that lasted through 3 years at Slippery Rock University of PA (snow belt) and I loved them - good luck!
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Picked up a pair of Faded Glory boots from Wally World (Walmart), and slotted in some sweet looking insoles by Dr. Scholls
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    these are all great recommendations!! just make sure you have treads on those bad boys. i've purchased "winter boots" before with no treads and bruised up my butt when i fell and slipped on the ice 2-3x a day.

you really want warmth, flat soles. it is wonderful when your toes are toasty as you trudge through the snow and ice. you could also get snow shoe attachments to cheaper boots, i've seen them around CVS/Walmart.