Doing everything right and gaining weight

Options

Replies

• EvetteMarquez
    EvetteMarquez Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    OK, I've had a quick look at your diary.

First, drinks -- are you absolutely sure you're never drinking any fruit juice, or alcohol, or coffee or tea with milk, or soda? Because those all have loads of calories.

Second, recipes. If you eat a beef stew, at least at first, you can't rely on database entries for 'homemade beef stew'. That beef stew could be way higher or lower in cals than the one you're eating. You either need to put all the ingredients in yourself to make a recipe, or just enter the ingredients in your portion. Because what matters is your beef stew, not anyone else's. Ditto enchiladas -- I think Mexican food is particularly suspect here in fact.

Third, weights not volume. Cup measures are really unreliable except for liquids.

Fourth, fats. Now, there may be a way to cook up turkey sausage, eggs and peppers for your breakfast without using any fat at all (even the sprays have a bit), and that might be what you're doing. But most cooking has some oil or butter or lard in it, and all those things have lots of cals.

Otherwise -- obviously what's going on your diary is pretty healthy, but my guess is that there are things missing and that's what's caused the grief. And it can be *tiny* amounts of stuff, too, or small errors in things you have regularly.

Good luck! You can definitely get back on track.

Every now and then I will have coffee with creamer but other than that no calorie drinks for me. I cook up my eggs and stuff with a zero calorie olive oil spray. I think whats wrong is that I DO need to figure out my BMR and up my calories.
  • lawyerette
    lawyerette Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY agree with the folks who posted that you're not eating enough. For those who said you're not being honest or something, that's absolutely ridiculous (and mean). I gained weight for a while in almost exactly the same situation you're describing. AND I was in the gym - no kidding - 3 hours a day. I was so frustrated!

So, I met a trainer at the DC gym where I work out (Marceleus M. Venable) and he explained that I was at too much of a deficit. He had to badger me into cutting back on my workouts to no more than 90 minutes a day and made me eat more (~1400-1500 calories for a 170 frame - you may need to adjust for your weight) and sure as $*&% I lost weight within 2 weeks. I should also mention that I added weight training. I was really resistant to it, but the muscle really did help me burn more as part of my resting metabolic rate. (he also said not to weigh in around your period because women naturally gain then and it will just crush your spirits).

I know it's counterintuitive, but you need to eat enough so that your body doesn't starve. And weight training won't bulk you up. And that 1200-1250 crap is nonsense unless you're already smaller (like under 150).

Now I'm no expert with a degree, but I have managed to lost and keep off 75 lbs for a few years at a time. I'm still down 40 lbs from my top weight, even though I gained over the holidays and will be getting it back off in the New Year. Trust me - eat more and don't work out more than 90 minutes a day, 6 times a week.

IF you want my diet plan from my nutritionist and trainer, I'm happy to share. If you want to talk to Marcus, I think I have his email around somewhere.

Hang in there!!

~Elizabeth
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Your injury has reduced your calorie deficit and you're probably eating too much. In addition, the less you weigh, the fewer calories you need.

Please don't undermine yourself by eating more. A few times a year experts have come on this board and they ALWAYS say:

--That if you're not losing weight, it's because you're not creating a sufficient calorie deficit.

--That an overweight person is in no harm of "starving" herself with a nutritionally balanced low-calorie diet. The main problem is that most people can't force themselves to eat that way longterm.

If eating more sounds counterintuitive, it's because it is.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your short, but when I don't exercise, I have to eat no more than 1000-1200 if I want to jump start weight loss again. I know a lot of people wouldn't agree, but it's what works for me.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly venting here but would love some helpful advice. I don't know that much about losing weight. I started my healthy lifestyle November 9th and since then I've lost 15lbs which I'm pretty proud of :) But now the scale just will not go down. I'm assuming I'm not exercising enough? I eat lots of fruits, veggies and lean protein but for some reason I'm starting to gain weight and its super frustrating. I eat between 1200-1400 calories everyday and I doing some walking. I was running in the beginning but suffered a leg injury so I cant run for a little while. I honestly feel like I'm losing weight but I'm not losing inches or anything. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Walking is not a great form of exercise at all for weight management, you might burn 100 calories a mile with no afterburn. Does your leg injury stop you weight training? Why did you injure yourself running - did you get a gait analysis and fitted for running shoes? Were you doing a ten minute low impact warm up? Did you follow a couch to 5k plan and adhere to the rest days?

Looking at your food diary - eat way more fruit and veggies, more healthy fats especially oily fish, more mineral rich foods like beans, lentils nuts and seeds. Your macros are skewed, loads of carbs (too much refined/ processed/ high Glycaemic Index) and not enough fats or protein so you may be losing muscle. MFP protein recommendation is a minimum not a maximum or ideal. Try to spread your calories over four to six meals.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You are doing an amazing job so far having lost 15 pounds in almost 8 week. That's nearly 2 pounds per week!

How long has it been since you haven't lost? Weight loss is not a linear thing. We think our bodies will immediately react, and you've even gotten justification for that thinking so far with your success, but that's just not how it works. This could just be a temporary blip for some unknown reason but here are some possibilities?

What have you been doing for exercise since you're not running? Starting something new or increasing the intensity of an exercise can lead to temporary weight gain because the muscles get damaged and will retain water and glycogen as part of the natural healing process.

Could it be that time of the month? Has your sodium intake increased lately? Something in your diet changed?

Have you been eating back your exercise calories? If you are, it could be that you're overestimating burn as one of the above poster mentioned and therefore you're overeating when you eat those back. If you're not, your weight loss could be stalled due to not fueling your body enough. I know it sounds weird but it is possible to not lose or stall out now and then because there is too much of a calorie deficit. Don't be afraid to play around with your intake a bit and see what works best for you.

Good luck!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your short, but when I don't exercise, I have to eat no more than 1000-1200 if I want to jump start weight loss again. I know a lot of people wouldn't agree, but it's what works for me.

Same here. She said she had to stop running because she hurt herself and she gained weight. Not surprising.
  • EvetteMarquez
    Options
    TOTALLY agree with the folks who posted that you're not eating enough. For those who said you're not being honest or something, that's absolutely ridiculous (and mean). I gained weight for a while in almost exactly the same situation you're describing. AND I was in the gym - no kidding - 3 hours a day. I was so frustrated!

So, I met a trainer at the DC gym where I work out (Marceleus M. Venable) and he explained that I was at too much of a deficit. He had to badger me into cutting back on my workouts to no more than 90 minutes a day and made me eat more (~1400-1500 calories for a 170 frame - you may need to adjust for your weight) and sure as $*&% I lost weight within 2 weeks. I should also mention that I added weight training. I was really resistant to it, but the muscle really did help me burn more as part of my resting metabolic rate. (he also said not to weigh in around your period because women naturally gain then and it will just crush your spirits).

I know it's counterintuitive, but you need to eat enough so that your body doesn't starve. And weight training won't bulk you up. And that 1200-1250 crap is nonsense unless you're already smaller (like under 150).

Now I'm no expert with a degree, but I have managed to lost and keep off 75 lbs for a few years at a time. I'm still down 40 lbs from my top weight, even though I gained over the holidays and will be getting it back off in the New Year. Trust me - eat more and don't work out more than 90 minutes a day, 6 times a week.

IF you want my diet plan from my nutritionist and trainer, I'm happy to share. If you want to talk to Marcus, I think I have his email around somewhere.

Hang in there!!

~Elizabeth

Thanks for that. I'm definitely interested in that diet plan.
  • EvetteMarquez
    Options

Same here. She said she had to stop running because she hurt herself and she gained weight. Not surprising.

Are you talking about me???
  • EvetteMarquez
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my cool here. I didn't ask for smartass opinions.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    IMHO, you are eating a high sodium diet from processed foods. Foods like Hamburger Helper are extremely high in sodium, which can lead to water retention. Start tracking your sodium and potassium intake. Try to raise your potassium and lower your sodium. Very difficult, but anything is better than nothing. Potassium helps to regulate sodium and vice versa. The typical American diet is high in sodium and low in potassium due to processed foods. Don't go overboard, though. Too much potassium and too low sodium is bad also. More balance is what you want to achieve. I have found that high potassium foods are typically whole foods, high sodium are typically processed foods. My favorite potassium boosters are dried apricots, bananas and oranges. Good luck and hang in there. This is a learning experience that will benefit you the rest of your life.
  • EvetteMarquez
    Options
    IMHO, you are eating a high sodium diet from processed foods. Foods like Hamburger Helper are extremely high in sodium, which can lead to water retention. Start tracking your sodium and potassium intake. Try to raise your potassium and lower your sodium. Very difficult, but anything is better than nothing. Potassium helps to regulate sodium and vice versa. The typical American diet is high in sodium and low in potassium due to processed foods. Don't go overboard, though. Too much potassium and too low sodium is bad also. More balance is what you want to achieve. I have found that high potassium foods are typically whole foods, high sodium are typically processed foods. My favorite potassium boosters are dried apricots, bananas and oranges. Good luck and hang in there. This is a learning experience that will benefit you the rest of your life.

Thank you. I agree that I am consuming too much sodium
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly venting here but would love some helpful advice. I don't know that much about losing weight. I started my healthy lifestyle November 9th and since then I've lost 15lbs which I'm pretty proud of :) But now the scale just will not go down. I'm assuming I'm not exercising enough? I eat lots of fruits, veggies and lean protein but for some reason I'm starting to gain weight and its super frustrating. I eat between 1200-1400 calories everyday and I doing some walking. I was running in the beginning but suffered a leg injury so I cant run for a little while. I honestly feel like I'm losing weight but I'm not losing inches or anything. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

I'd advise using a food scale to actually weigh/measure your food. Sometimes a measurement like 1 cup can vary based on how tightly the food is packed etc. Using exact mass will be helpful. Also, 15 lbs in two months is great. You might just be at a small plateau, that time of the month, a little too much drinking at new years etc.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Sodium has no hold on fat loss.
    Learnt o eat at the proper deficit and youll lose the weight.
    Drink the proper amount of water and get the other minerals you need and sodium means nothing.

The above post, that went ignored, has helped 100s lose weight.
    Take it or leave it.
    ;D

If you decide to try it send a FR so I can seed you out to the other Road Mappers.
  • EvetteMarquez
    Options

I'd advise using a food scale to actually weigh/measure your food. Sometimes a measurement like 1 cup can vary based on how tightly the food is packed etc. Using exact mass will be helpful. Also, 15 lbs in two months is great. You might just be at a small plateau, that time of the month, a little too much drinking at new years etc.

I have a food scale I will start using it more
  • EvetteMarquez
    Options
    Sodium has no hold on fat loss.
    Learnt o eat at the proper deficit and youll lose the weight.
    Drink the proper amount of water and get the other minerals you need and sodium means nothing.

The above post, that went ignored, has helped 100s lose weight.
    Take it or leave it.
    ;D

If you decide to try it send a FR so I can seed you out to the other Road Mappers.

It wasn't ignored I know sodium has no hold on fat loss.
    Im trying to read it now
  • bassanne
    Options
    This post might be worth a read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This helped me break a plateau of a couple of months. I ended up eating more and lost more. Work the numbers and see if this changes things for you.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Sodium does not cause fat gain, but it does cause temporary water weight gain which can be very discouraging to dieters. I have tracked my weight gains vs. sodium intake and the correlation is unmistakable.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi :-) Pretty much what everyone is saying is on point. You're eating too little and in some cases barely 1000 a day. You will loose weight fast but you're harming your metabolism, which is what you're experiencing now. Your body is grasping onto whatever little energy it has to keep you going...thus not allowing you to lose weight. Also, the high sodium content in foods causes you to retain water so you should try to keep that in check and make sure you drink lots of water throughout the day.

Read the "in place of a road map" that several people have posted for you. It will help you figure out how much you should be consuming.

I'm 5'7" and 199 lbs and I'm eating around 2000 cals a day, which includes calories burned from exercise. With my road map I've been loosing about 1lb a week...(well not so much these days bc of the holidays...LOL!) I've been where you were and I got stuck and it took a lot of learning to realize the right way and to get out of the starvation to loose weight state of mind.

Best of luck to you!