Coconut Oil

Options

Replies

• zeta30
    zeta30 Posts: 40
    Options
    My wife started taking about 2 Tblsp/day a month ago. Since then her hips are no longer sore and the joint pain in her fingers also went away.

We recommended it to a friend who now reports that her knee pain she got while working out is no longer present as well as her elbow issue. There are studies out there where it helps a variety of health issues from arthritis to Alzheimers. you can go to:

http://coconutoil.com/

if you want to read about some of the studies that have been performed and the health benefits.

I would like to take it as my knees are starting to have issues after my leg workouts but can't stand the taste of coconut. I might have to break down and just do it like a medicine.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Buuuump

I've never heard of such an amazing thing before! Where has it been all my life?!
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea that coconut oil was so useful and good. I will definitely try it out. I do remember hearing that it was delicious, but not something to eat very often, so it's interesting to hear all of these delicious things to do with it.

Now, that said, isn't coconut oil what McDonald's used to fry their french fries in (which made them sooooo delicious and addictive back in the day)? And didn't they switch away from it because of health issues?

Well, I suppose I could Google all this, right? But this is better than just saying "bump", eh?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,014 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea that coconut oil was so useful and good. I will definitely try it out. I do remember hearing that it was delicious, but not something to eat very often, so it's interesting to hear all of these delicious things to do with it.

Now, that said, isn't coconut oil what McDonald's used to fry their french fries in (which made them sooooo delicious and addictive back in the day)? And didn't they switch away from it because of health issues?

Well, I suppose I could Google all this, right? But this is better than just saying "bump", eh?
    Nah, they use crappy Canola Oil.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Wow I thought we used it in everything, but this threads got tons of info, thanks. We also put in right in coffee and it has helped lower my cholesterol along with eating healthier. We get a small jar of Spectrum Organic cold pressed coconut oil at Wal Mart for about $9 it's worked great for cooking, making homemade peanut butter and as a great alternative to butter. We only use EVOO and coconut oil in this house. Thanks for the post.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Well, I'm talking about "back in the day", as in the 80's. So I did some googling, and discovered it was beef lard and PALM oil they used. Wow, they were good. But they lost out to the war on saturated fats and McDonald's stopped using those oils in 1984.

Here's the link I was reading, and it has a lot of good info about saturated fats. .

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller38.1.html
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,014 Member
    Options

Well, I'm talking about "back in the day", as in the 80's. So I did some googling, and discovered it was beef lard and PALM oil they used. Wow, they were good. But they lost out to the war on saturated fats and McDonald's stopped using those oils in 1984.

Here's the link I was reading, and it has a lot of good info about saturated fats. .

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller38.1.html
    That aligns with my stance on saturated fat. Low carbs, no so much.
  • NClala05
    Options
    Bump
  • schmenly
    schmenly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Saturated Fat May Save Your Life.

http://www.amazon.com/Saturated-Fat-Save-Your-Life/dp/0941599493/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357153667&sr=8-1&keywords=saturated+fats+may+save+your+life

My uncle lives by this book, and lost about 30+ by just changing his eating. Canola Oil is BAD BAD news, so we uses coconut oil for everything. There are two different kids, cold pressed (has a slight coconut flavor) or hot pressed (no flavor). We use that and butter in our house, (sometimes olive oil) but get rid of the rest...
  • proctor78
    Options
    bump
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i use it in all my cooking, eggs, veggies, baking, great for so many things, I use in place of olive or canola oil where possible
  • vollmera86
    vollmera86 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Where do you find coconut oil? Would a regular grocery store have it, and what other foods would it be located near?
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    bump
  • SAHM23BOYS
    Options
    I've been researching coconut oil and can't decide on a brand.... are they all about the same? What should I be looking at to determine which one I buy?

I ordered a five gallon pail from Tropical Traditions since I'm using it for pretty much EVERYTHING these days, but I am sharing it with friends, too. I buy the Expeller Pressed coconut oil. http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I too use it primarily for cooking; so much lighter and more flavorful than other oils :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I use it as butter on my toast or muffins and mix it in my oatmeal. I use it on anyfood I can think of. I've read the healthy kind for consumption is organic extra virgin coconut oil. It does have a slight coconut flavor, but I like that. :flowerforyou:

Thank you for this post! I have asked numerous times if it tastes like coconut and no one ever answers.
  • Ssminey79
    Ssminey79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    All of my holiday gifts this year were homemade and I made great body butters and body scrubs using coconut oil. It is so good for the skin. Raw coconut oil can taste like coconut, depending on how refined it is. As you heat it up, the smell and taste dissipates.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Ahh--the wonders of coconut oil! Haven't read the rest of the thread but it should be mentioned that coconut oil is an excellent source of MCT (medium chain triglycerides) which are great for reducing ghrelin levels (ghrelin is the "hunger hormone"). One of the reasons why very low fat diets tend to make you regain all the weight you lost when you stop the diet is because, while you are on the low-fat diet, you will be depleting your levels of essential fatty acids and then your body will compel you to overeat in an attempt to get what it needs. So get your coconut oil everyone! :happy:
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just started added this to what I eat but I wondered if it would be okay to use in a deep fryer.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I just started added this to what I eat but I wondered if it would be okay to use in a deep fryer.

It would probably work, if that's what you are asking. But deep frying foods is not particularly healthy. Heating oil to high temperatures causes a breakdown in good parts of the oil and creates nasty chemicals that you take in when you eat the products cooked in those oils.