Newbie with Crohns

Options
Hi, I like many others am new. As you may be able to tell from my user name I have started diet after diet, workout program after workout program and cannot manage to finish a one. I find so many varied excuses and only one was one I considered legit (moving). I have Crohn's so finding ways to eat healthy is a real struggle. If anyone has any advice, motivation, or also has Crohn's please add me!!

Thank you for your time!

Replies

• PaulineRiddell
    PaulineRiddell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also have Crohn's. On lots of medication and find it hard to lose weight. Moved country in July and it started a flare so I am really tired and eating snacks all the time to keep me going. My Prof wants me to do elemental. I tried for four days, terrible migraines and flu like symptoms. Try again when kids are back in school. I too thought at least keeping a food diary would help. How's it going for you? It takes a while to get the meds that work but as long as the pain is better and you can sleep well that helps.
  • AllisonEBrown
    Options
    Hello, I was diagnosed with Crohns this past July. I have been on the medicine Asacol, a non-steroid, taking 2 pills (800mg each) 3 times a day. The pills have been helpful, keeping flareups at bay, but I started going to a dietician to help with maintaining my diet both for Crohns and weightloss. I find that having a serving of Quaker Oats oatmeal every morning with yogurt helps keep me regular. I try to avoid other dairy products, because the lactose can and has caused some irritation. I also try to fill up half my plate with vegetables and fruit, and 1/4 of my plate with starch and 1/4 with protein. As for snacks during the day, I find that 1/4 cup of trail mix works well as a snack, and when eating apples, take the skin off: it will be less irritating to your digestive tracks. Until everything is under control, I would avoid all berries, and whole nuts. I hope this helps.
  • annewinslow5
    annewinslow5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly a newbie when it come to crohns (diagnosed in 2008), but my disease ticked up a notch in May 2012 with my first hospitalization. I lost about 15lbs over two horrid weeks, but within a few months of getting better I rapidly gained it back and then some on Prednisone. Now I struggle with nausea from the immuno suppressants, so on some days all I want to eat is gingerale, crackers, and chicken soup- not the healthiest stuff!
    But on most days, I've found that a low-residue diet works pretty well. I got some cheat sheets from a dietician, because all fruits and veggies are not created equal when it come to crohns and UC! (Though as mentioned by Alisonebrown, taking the skin off them almost always helps - so does cooking or blending.) I also strongly second the advice to see a dietician who specializes in IBD.

Here's are some general things I've found about myself, but you REALLY have to find what works for you. Experiment when you have an easy next day in case of urgent bathroom breaks ;)
    - fiber is NOT my friend. Instant oatmeal from a packet? Fine. Steel cut or the rolled oats you cook on the stove? Problems.
    - alcohol and coffee are total enemies (dear, sweet, delicious enemies)
    - lean proteins (like chicken/turkey breast, egg whites, tuna) are good foods for my weight and my gut
    - ripe bananas, melons, stone fruits (peaches, apricots, plums, etc...) are fine raw, and almost all canned/cooked fruits are fine
    - while salads can sometimes make me suffer, many cooked veggies like carrots, potatoes, green beans, and spinach give me no trouble at all
    - turn down the heat (no chillies, curries, or other spicy fare)
    Here's my problem: chicken breasts and cooked veggies get really boring! How do I make it taste like something I want to eat, repeatedly, w/o all the spices, fiber, and fresh veggies that usually keep it interesting? Tomatoes, peppers, salsas, and whole grains used to be my dietary staples. You know, along with the booze and the coffee ;)