Need tips for growing out hair

Options
MellyLikestoRun
MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
I have had my hair in a pretty short bob for over 10 years and I decided that I would like to try to wear it long once again. It's now long enough that I can pull it into a wee pigtail but that's about it. I've been surfing Pinterest for updo ideas, which mostly seem to be for much longer or curly (mine is stick straight) hair. Can anyone point me in a direction for more "professional" looking ways to wear it up while it is in the growing out stage? It's getting it past the collar to the shoulder that seems to be the hardest stage!

Replies

• maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    dont know about your question but if you are looking to grow your hair look in to taking biotin. mine grows like wild weed since i started taking that stuff . it takes a few months before you really start seeing results but it does work -- on me at least
  • abrewer563
    Options
    I don't know any up-do styles but in my experience Biotin has helped me with growing my hair longer in faster time frame. I just take one vitamin a day and it's a lot healthier and stronger!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Search 'short updos' and become good friends half ponytails and pseudo half pony tails (take some bobby pins and pin up the left and right strands as though they were going to be pulled back into a ponytail). If you get the urge to cut your hair, give it a good 3-4 weeks before committing. I find my hair goes through awkward phases where I hate the way it sits, then I schedule a hair cut and by the time I go, I wish I hadn't scheduled it because it grew through the phase.

Good luck.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I used to do mine in a French pleat when it was just shoulder length. Get a hairdresser to do it first time and ask for step-by-step instructions.

http://www.channel4.com/4beauty/hairstyles/hair-video/how-to-do-a-french-pleat

A French plait is a great way to capture shorter hairs too, but pretty fiddly to do yourself.

A super-easy version for work is to get three of four wide wide decorative barette hair clips and use them to sweep in hair from each side of your head from the crown to the nape of your neck. That makes it look longer than the wee ponytail!
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    My hair is still quite a bit shorter than hers, but I found I was able to still do this one. I've done it several times now and I've actually pinched the two sides together in the back with a bobbypin. (If that makes sense.) You see how it's like a row in the back? I do what she does, then I pull in from both sides of that "row" and it makes more a circular inverted bun. Pretty cute and I've gotten lots of compliments on it.

http://youtu.be/zmZR-PlJ_AU
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Take small pieces and pin them back with bobbies. Leave a few strands out around your face, curl them to make it more formal

Maybe consider a clip in hair extension if you want to try out long hair?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    stick with it, it will grow :) I have a few ways I put up my hair when I was growing out my bob, the easiest was those claw type clasps where you just twist your 'pony tail' up, clasp it and you have an up do with a full pony tail that 'pokes' out the top but looks good, sort of like a messy bun, sort of! :) Or a half updo, where its just the top section of your hair you clasp/pin up and leave the bottom part hanging - gosh I am really bad at explaining these!

Hope you get the inspiration you need, but stick with it, IT WILL GROW, the hardest part is getting it past the shoulders, thats when it does its flicking out instead of curling in! very annoying lol

Ruth
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Check out professional updos on pinterest.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If you are not already on these forums, I recommend joining:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com
    http://www.untamedtresses.com

They have a wealth of information for people interested in long hair, with advice from beginners and people with who've had long hair all their lives.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Try combs. Quik and easy.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    My hair is being grown out from a super-short pixie. It's been a pain but it's finally starting to look nice. My biggest tip would be to make sure you're actually getting your hair cut while you're growing it out. Because of the way our heads sit, the back is going to to look a lot longer than the front/sides while you're growing it out, so go get it evened out... I got mine cut like every two-three months or so. When my hair is straight, it's about armpit length, it's taken me 16 or so months to grow it out with cutting it to keep it even. I also take biotin every day and baby the heck out of my hair.. deep condition once a week (warm coconut oil massage) and I don't color it anymore. I had short hair for most of my life but looove my hair now.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    If it's long enough, try the sock bun (find it on YouTube). Buns are hot now! And last time I was at the hairdressers he commented how I had less broken hairs than usual (I'm TOUGH on my hair - blowdry, flat iron every day). I have switched to a boar bristle brush, am using a "long lengths" shampoo and a heat protector spray.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I also have stick straight hair and completely feel your pain with growing it out! "Professional" can mean a bunch of different things, so what works for me might not be professional enough for you. When my hair was that length I used clips and bobby pins to pin it off to the side most days. I also would use headbands on occasion, although with fine, straight hair I can only use the ones that have the little teeth in them and only when my hair is at least slightly damp still so that it holds.
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I recently have started growing mine out from a short bob as well -- I started taking Nature's Bounty - Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins in September and have noticed a HUGE difference -- especially in my nails! I have had people ask me if they are my real nails because they are so strong and look acrylic! My hair has grown as well. It is mostly a biotin supplement.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    ooooh. I love longhaircommunity. I've recently taken the plunge and shaved my head bald to start over. I expect many many months of awkward, as this was my last ever haircut.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    bobby pins are your friends
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    YouTube and bobby pins!!! There are loads of pseudo updos you can do using bobby pins. I have long hair and to catch strays or get my hair in certain placements...bobby pins.
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have stick straight hair, and it is long (small of my back) and healthy (next to no split ends, always shiny). I've had this going on for about 8 years. My tips for long healthy hair are simple.

1) refrain from using hair products beyond shampoo/conditioner.
    2) limit the heat damage you do to your hair. I air/towel dry my hair for at least a half hour before blow drying and I never use a straightener.
    3) get regular hair trims to keep the shape good and stop split ends from spreading. I only have to go about twice a year, but since you are starting at a short lengthy you probably need to go every couple of months.
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Take biotin vitamins!