Does Biotin really work?

Options
Seen a few posts floating around today about hair growth and hair falling out.

From your personal experience did you see any noticable difference taking a biotin supplement? I've taken it before but I wasnt consistent and probably didnt give it enough time.

Curious to know if you got results or expensive pee?

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    yes, it is a magical pill you can take to speed up your metabolism, along with raspberry keytones, green tea and green coffee beans.
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    i found that it really made my hair and nails grow longer and stronger..also made my skin nicer
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    yes, it is a magical pill you can take to speed up your metabolism, along with raspberry keytones, green tea and green coffee beans.

Clearly you don't know wha Biotin is, as it has absolutely nothing to do with weightloss...
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I took it for a couple months. I personally didn't notice any change - but I also routinely use nail hardener on my nails and have a ton of hair anyway.

However, a lady I know who is battling cancer off and on started taking it and she has noticed an improvement in her nails and hair.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options

It's a vitamin that is suppose to help strengthen you hair...great way to jump to conclusions.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    yes, it definitely works! I've been taking it for about a year now and my nails look amazing! Before biotin I could never get them to grow past my fingertips without breaking, and now I actually cut them down pretty frequently, which is amazing to me. Haven't really noticed a difference with my hair and it did take about 4-5 months of taking it religiously before I noticed a difference in my nails, though.
  • CRichards22
    Options
    I'm taking it now...maybe halfway through a bottle....haven't noticed anything yet. Hoping it helps with my hair getting thinner, unfortunately I think my weightloss has caused this to worsen.

Here's to hoping it helps!!!!!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I had super thin hair during the summer of 2010, you would almost see a bald spot at the top of my head (later found out this was because of my thyroid).. but a friend recommended I take Biotin and I did, and I saw a very noticeable difference in the growing of my hair... and have sense never been in that same position again.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Bumping for responses. I've been taking it for a month but I knew I wouldn't see any results for at least 4-5 months.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    yes!! it help my hair growth so much. however it gave me lots of acne so I was told to pair it with a vitamin B (B5) and that helped!
  • TighteningStrings
    Options
    I started taking it, then forgot. I'm going to start up again tomorrow morning and keep it going. I am actually losing hair, which is upsetting me to the max!
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    yes, it definitely works! I've been taking it for about a year now and my nails look amazing! Before biotin I could never get them to grow past my fingertips without breaking, and now I actually cut them down pretty frequently, which is amazing to me. Haven't really noticed a difference with my hair and it did take about 4-5 months of taking it religiously before I noticed a difference in my nails, though.

What brand do you buy? I don't have trouble with my hair, but I've had horribly brittle, weak nails my whole life :frown:
  • tskitzoid
    Options

I have the same problem, they get about right over the fingertip and then get bent/broken/etc because my nails are really thin. I was taking this for a while but I stopped because it'd been 2 months and nothing was happening. I'll have to start taking it again and be patient for the first 4-5 months now!
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Clearly you don't know wha Biotin is, as it has absolutely nothing to do with weightloss...
    Guess ubermensch didn't even read the post...
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I have just about gotten through my first bottle. Have noticed a slight change in my hair (thinning because of Thyroid & hormone issues). Hoping it helps it to just keep growing, eventhough it is still coming out, just not as much as before. I wasnt taking enough when I started (only 2500 mg). Now I am taking the recommended 5000 mg by my Dermatologist...we'll see how that works! :-)
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for about 3 months now and I haven't noticed any huge differences, but I would say that I have less hair fall in the shower (my hair is long and thick and this has always been an annoying problem), and my nails are definitely stronger. Could be coincidence, but that's what I've noticed. I don't think it's hurting anything, so I'll keep taking it. :)
  • _KATzMeow
    _KATzMeow Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It's great , my hair feels like silk!

oh wait woops, I use BIOSILK!

never mind....carry on......
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it on and off for a while. I have very fine and thinning hair (hormonal reasons). I didn't notice any major difference, but my hair has not been falling out more. So it hasn't gotten worse at least and that's already something good to me.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for almost two years now. Things I notice:

-Healthier hair and nail growth (shiney hair, full hair, fast growing nails, harder nails)
    - Slight energy increase (I take it with my morning pills, not my night pills)
    - Slight weight loss enhancment (with smart dieting and excersize)

I take the Biotin 7500 meg (two pills of it) by Nature's Bounty under advisement with my endocrinologist.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I take it with a slew of other vitamins. Couldn't tell you specifically whether it helps or not, but I'll continue taking it because it's not like it's hurting me and it's not that expensive.

I also take folic acid and WAS taking iron, but stopped because I decided I'd rather just eat meat than put up with that ****. Anyway. I have anemia(=hair loss), so that's why I started taking the biotin to help with the effects of that. Blah blah blah.