Too much Protein?

Options

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    All that extra work your body is doing converting protein to glucose requires energy. Upwards to 30% of calories from protein are used to break it down.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Read up on rabbit starvation. But even then other stressors might be required to actually kill you.

Where I live, weed walnut trees are extremely abundant. We've figured out, it's in case of an apocalypse and all we can eat is rabbits. And Walnuts, of course!

We would have to eat squirrels around here. And maybe the giant turkey buzzard that cleans them off our roads for us. But I couldn't eat that bird, I have developed a real fondness for him.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    All that extra work your body is doing converting protein to glucose requires energy. Upwards to 30% of calories from protein are used to break it down.

No complaints here! Since I am so efficient at stuffing my face a little inefficiency at burning what I eat is fine by me!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating like 300 grams a day your kidneys should be able to take it.
  • matrixkingdom
    Options
    Is it possible to eat too much protein if everything else is in line? Thoughts....

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

Yes it is possible to eat too much protein. When you consume too much protein, your body begins to urinate/excrete calcium out of the body. This is called "hypercalciuria" .. so when we look at osteoporosis, we have to wonder if it's caused by calcium deficiency or excess protein. I also believe this is only if it comes from "animal protein" because of the sulfur in meat and that makes our insides toxic and makes it acidic, not alkaline. Moderate protein intakes should be between 40g-80g depending on your physical activity.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to eat too much protein if everything else is in line? Thoughts....

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

Yes it is possible to eat too much protein. When you consume too much protein, your body begins to urinate/excrete calcium out of the body. This is called "hypercalciuria" .. so when we look at osteoporosis, we have to wonder if it's caused by calcium deficiency or excess protein. I also believe this is only if it comes from "animal protein" because ofthe sulfur in meat and that toxifies our body and makes it acidic, not alkaline.

Hypercalciuria, or excessive urinary calcium excretion, occurs in about 5-10% of the population[1] and is the most common identifiable cause of calcium kidney stone disease.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/436343-overview

Says nothing about the cause being too much protein.
  • tmcc70
    tmcc70 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No...My doctor recomends starting each day with 25 grams of protien. It does give me alot more energy, how ever I have a hard time getting in that much protien and still keep my calorie intake low.
  • matrixkingdom
    Options

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

Yes it is possible to eat too much protein. When you consume too much protein, your body begins to urinate/excrete calcium out of the body. This is called "hypercalciuria" .. so when we look at osteoporosis, we have to wonder if it's caused by calcium deficiency or excess protein. I also believe this is only if it comes from "animal protein" because ofthe sulfur in meat and that toxifies our body and makes it acidic, not alkaline.

Hypercalciuria, or excessive urinary calcium excretion, occurs in about 5-10% of the population[1] and is the most common identifiable cause of calcium kidney stone disease.

You can store fat and you can store carbohydrates but you can't store protein. The average omnivore eats over 140g of protein. Our bodies only need 30g of protein to start your day and max out at around 80g. Your liver begins to break it down and as it metabolizes it, it releases all kinds of toxic nitrogen containing wastes such as urea, ammonia & amino-acid fragments. As all these toxic wastes pass through your kidneys, it makes you lose calcium out of your urine. There is fundamental differences between animal protein and plant protein. Animal proteins have amino-acids that contain sulfur, and that makes extra acid in the body.. and as acids wash through the bones, they dissolve calcium out of the bones. Plants have much less acid. Animal protein is very concentrated, the muscle of an animal is the most concentrated protein on the planet and so there is a big chunk of protein that goes through your bloodstream as soon as you put it in your body. Plant protein is made of fiber, so it takes hours to absorb into the bloodstream which is much gentler on the body. The proper term is called "Protein-Induced Hypercalciuria"
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

You can store fat and you can store carbohydrates but you can't store protein. The average omnivore eats over 140g of protein. Our bodies only need 30g of protein to start your day and max out at around 80g. Your liver begins to break it down and as it metabolizes it, it releases all kinds of toxic nitrogen containing wastes such as urea, ammonia & amino-acid fragments. As all these toxic wastes pass through your kidneys, it makes you lose calcium out of your urine. There is fundamental differences between animal protein and plant protein. Animal proteins have amino-acids that contain sulfur, and that makes extra acid in the body.. and as acids wash through the bones, they dissolve calcium out of the bones. Plants have much less acid. Animal protein is very concentrated, the muscle of an animal is the most concentrated protein on the planet and so there is a big chunk of protein that goes through your bloodstream as soon as you put it in your body. Plant protein is made of fiber, so it takes hours to absorb into the bloodstream which is much gentler on the body. The proper term is called "Protein-Induced Hypercalciuria"

First off, the body is able to store protein in muscle. That is why when you eat at a deficit and do not lift, you lose muscle mass. Because the body will draw upon stored protein for energy. Secondly, the average omnivore does NOT consume 140g of protein. At a 1900 calorie deficit and 30% protein goal, MFP calculates that I should be consuming 143g of protein and most of the time, I am barely able to break 100g. As for everything else you said, I have no idea of what you are talking about, but it loses credibility since I know the first two points to be completely incorrect.

The only thing that the body is not able to store is alcohol.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

Increased calcium in the urine is not a direct measure of bone-calcium balance.

I'd see here:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15546911
    http://www.nutritionj.com/content/10/1/41
    http://nutridylan.com/2012/07/02/higher-protein-diets-controversies-implications/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19279077 (<---- MAy 2009 AARR also)

EDIT: There is additional research showing potential issues in older patients who are consuming insufficient calcium to begin with. The solution here isn't to recommend a protein deficient diet, it's to increase calcium. There's plenty of benefit to consuming protein well beyond the measly recommendation you made in a previous quote.
  • matrixkingdom
    Options

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

First off, the body is able to store protein in muscle. That is why when you eat at a deficit and do not lift, you lose muscle mass. Because the body will draw upon stored protein for energy. Secondly, the average omnivore does NOT consume 140g of protein. At a 1900 calorie deficit and 30% protein goal, MFP calculates that I should be consuming 143g of protein and most of the time, I am barely able to break 100g. As for everything else you said, I have no idea of what you are talking about, but it loses credibility since I know the first two points to be completely incorrect.

You quoted a very well-known doctor to be a liar. No worries, you can believe what you want. Remember, most mainstream media suppresses a lot of things that we should know to better our health, but there is no profits to be made for making people healthy. And that is why America is the leading country for being the sickest population in the world. Suppressed Information.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

You quoted a very well-known doctor to be a liar. No worries, you can believe what you want. Remember, most mainstream media suppresses a lot of things that we should know to better our health, but there is no profits to be made for making people healthy. And that is why America is the leading country for the sickest population. Suppressed Information.

Yes... because Canadians are so much healthier. Your doctor isn't a liar... just ignorant.
  • matrixkingdom
    Options

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

You quoted a very well-known doctor to be a liar. No worries, you can believe what you want. Remember, most mainstream media suppresses a lot of things that we should know to better our health, but there is no profits to be made for making people healthy. And that is why America is the leading country for the sickest population. Suppressed Information.

Yes... because Canadians are so much healthier. Your doctor isn't a liar... just ignorant.

Okay, lets not debate that factor, because we both have conflicting opinions. So since it seems you know about nutrition, I'd like to know your opinion on my personal diet. I do heavy labor 40 hrs a week and it's a vegan diet to gain about 10-15 lbs, as I feel 71kg is too thin for 6'1" but I do weightlift and have less than 5% body fat. I have a High Calorie (3000-4000) High Carbs (550-650g) Moderate Protein (80-90g) and 80g of fat, 4% saturated and 18% mono/poly fats. Is there anything unhealthy about that.? Not being sarcastic, just seeking opinions from others as much as I like to help others. Let me know, thanks!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

Okay, lets not debate that factor, because we both have conflicting opinions. So since it seems you know about nutrition, I'd like to know your opinion on my personal diet. I do heavy labor 40 hrs a week, and I have a High Calorie (3000-4000) High Carbs (550-650g) Moderate Protein (80-90g) and 80g of fat, 4% saturated and 18% mono/poly fats. Is there anything unhealthy about that.? Not being sarcastic, just seeking opinions from others as much as I like to help others. Let me know, thanks!

Well since you asked my opinion... your macro ratios are something like 95% carbs, 2.25% protein, and 2% fat which is an incredibly unbalanced diet. I believe you are possibly setting yourself up for some serious nutrient defeciencies which can lead to long-term health conditions. If that is your temporary plan, then it is fine. But I seriously can't imagine who could eat like that. What is a generally accepted macro mix for a balance diet is 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.
  • matrixkingdom
    Options

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

I'd see here:
    http://nutridylan.com/2012/07/02/higher-protein-diets-controversies-implications/

EDIT: There is additional research showing potential issues in older patients who are consuming insufficient calcium to begin with. The solution here isn't to recommend a protein deficient diet, it's to increase calcium. There's plenty of benefit to consuming protein well beyond the measly recommendation you made in a previous quote.

I am on a high carb diet, so it balances out my "moderate protein intake" it's not measly lol.. I consume over 3000 calories, over 600g of carbs and 80g of fat so my protein doesn't have to be through the roof. I have a hard time reaching over 100g of protein even if I wanted to consume that much and that's on a high calorie diet.
  • matrixkingdom
    Options

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

Okay, lets not debate that factor, because we both have conflicting opinions. So since it seems you know about nutrition, I'd like to know your opinion on my personal diet. I do heavy labor 40 hrs a week, and I have a High Calorie (3000-4000) High Carbs (550-650g) Moderate Protein (80-90g) and 80g of fat, 4% saturated and 18% mono/poly fats. Is there anything unhealthy about that.? Not being sarcastic, just seeking opinions from others as much as I like to help others. Let me know, thanks!

Well since you asked my opinion... your macro ratios are something like 95% carbs, 2.25% protein, and 2% fat which is an incredibly unbalanced diet. I believe you are possibly setting yourself up for some serious nutrient defeciencies which can lead to long-term health conditions. If that is your temporary plan, then it is fine. But I seriously can't imagine who could eat like that. What is a generally accepted macro mix for a balance diet is 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.

First of all, all plant-based foods have an average of 7% fat. There is no way that I will ever consume 30% fat. Maybe 15% max. I am as healthy as can be and have had my vitamins tested. I burn over half those calories easily, and I am here to gain a bit more weight so I do not need to burn ALL the calories that I consume. The foods I do eat are extremely healthy and I have always eaten a diet of 3000 calories, even when I was a meat-eater all my life until last summer when I converted to veganism, cold turkey lol
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

I'd see here:

I am on a high carb diet, so it balances out my "moderate protein intake" it's not measly lol.. I consume over 3000 calories, over 600g of carbs and 80g of fat so my protein doesn't have to be through the roof. I have a hard time reaching over 100g of protein even if I wanted to consume that much and that's on a high calorie diet.

I am really confused. You claimed that most omnivores eat 140+ g of protein. What exactly is your TDEE? The only people that I know that eat that many calories are lifters, and they would never short themselves on protein.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    First of all, all plant-based foods have an average of 7% fat. There is no way that I will ever consume 30% fat. Maybe 15% max. I am as healthy as can be and have had my vitamins tested. I burn over half those calories easily, and I am here to gain a bit more weight so I do not need to burn ALL the calories that I consume. The foods I do eat are extremely healthy and I have always eaten a diet of 3000 calories, even when I was a meat-eater all my life until last summer when I converted to veganism, cold turkey lol

How do you get 3000 calories a day out of vegetables?

Mind = blown
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Yours isn't measly, but 40g (the low end of what you quoted earlier) is for many people, even some sedentary folks.
  • matrixkingdom
    Options

How do you get 3000 calories a day out of vegetables?

Mind = blown

LOL.. I eat grains * 4 slices of whole grain bread per day. My spaghetti sauce with pasta is 1200 calories alone, pure vegetarian sauce & spinach organic pasta. have a look at my diet plan. It's viewable to everyone I believe.