Coffee before exercise?

Options
Is this a good or bad thing? some people seem to think it gives you that extra push through exercise and i have also heard of people sayin it will burn you out and or make you feel dehydrated during exercise. I personally always have coffee before exercising, as of recent anyway because i exercise in the morning and love coffee.

Thoughts?

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Try it and see.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference issue - neither "good" nor "bad", per se. The dehydrating effect of caffeine is actually very minimal, so that's a non-factor. If the caffeine gives you a little boost and helps you get through your workout, go for it. If somebody is caffeine-sensitive and it makes them jittery, then it's probably not as beneficial for them.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If it will help you do a workout rather than skipping it, then drink the coffee :)

I've been known to drink coffee, a mountain dew, and a red bull before a race.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I DO THIS!!! IT WORKS!
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think I may try it today. I usually work out at 4am, then have my coffee.
  • cstexas2012
    cstexas2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I drank diet coke for a while, but I didn't like that I felt way less capable of doing my workout without it on days when I forgot it or whatever, so I weaned myself off of it. I don't think it's particularly detrimental in any other way though.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't even open my eyes before I've had my diet coke...... and I usually have a cup of coffee and a can of diet coke every morning.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You always have a coffee before exercising, so how does it work for you? That's your answer. :smile:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel dehydrated while working out, then drink water while working out. Problem solved.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is an absolutely proven, performance-enhancing drug. It helps with endurance.
  • kellyr730
    kellyr730 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite, most high energy aerobics instructors at the gym brings her diet coke bottle and drinks it during the class instead of a water bottle lol :) She's known for having the most intense, energetic classes so I guess the caffeine does help :) I don't get as good of a workout from anyone else's classes.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I find it makes me a bit jittery while working out if I drink it right before.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I need coffee before I do anything-exercise or otherwise. I have at least 2 cups before my morning run-sometimes 3.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I drink coffee before exercising, sometimes I don't.

Before long runs (12+ miles) or before a race - yes.

Weekday mornings - no. I'm up at 5 am and literally roll out of bed, get dressed and get moving.

Before Saturday 10 am turbokick class - yes. But not until after my run.

I find it gives me a boost when I need it. I've never had any issues with dehydration because of it.
  • stacy_rihel
    Options
    I also drink coffee before i exercise. One thing to note though: what are you putting in your coffee and what does your exercise consist of? If you are putting sugar (carbs) in it and then run on the treadmill (cardio), you are really burning off the energy from the carbs first and not from fat. If you are strength training, the carbs will actually help you to last through a complete workout before you feel out of energy. Well, these are my thoughts anyway. Good luck and Happy new year :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    from what i've heard studies support that a cup of coffee before a workout enhances performance. I've heard Bob from the Biggest Loser comment on this..as well as the Doctor's talk show. I drink coffee..mostly because i enjoy the heck out of it..and it controls my appetite in a major way.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    as stated its a proven performance enhancer and you should probably be sipping water to prevent dehydtration during exercise anyway.

So if its what you perfer then thats great, bring a water bottle, no problems
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I workout on an empty stomach but I do drink 10-12oz of black coffee before a workout and I have tonnes of energy.
    I've never felt dehydrated but I do get heartburn, so I have to drink it 2 hours before my workout. If I eat before I workout I get nauseas and weak but I have found coffee does the trick for me.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I prefer a pre workout supplement over coffee, Mainly due to the taste. A little caffeine really gets me going since I wake up around 5 am to get to the gym. I just drink a ton of water while there.
  • Sweatinglikeapigtolooklikeafox
    Options
    I dont function without a cup of coffee when I wake up.
    So I make sure I have one before I go to the gym otherwise I would I never make it. My boyfriend jokes I have a caffine addiction