interesting read: Our Imaginary Weight Problem

Options
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/opinion/our-imaginary-weight-problem.html?smid=pl-share&_r=0

A huge meta-analysis published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that:
all adults categorized as overweight and most of those categorized as obese have a lower mortality risk than so-called normal-weight individuals.
...Americans have become increasingly obsessed with the supposed desirability of thinness, as thinness has become both a marker for upper-class status and a reflection of beauty ideals that bring a kind of privilege.

In addition, baselessly categorizing at least 130 million Americans — and hundreds of millions in the rest of the world — as people in need of “treatment” for their “condition” serves the economic interests of, among others, the multibillion-dollar weight-loss industry and large pharmaceutical companies, which have invested a great deal of money in winning the good will of those who will determine the regulatory fate of the next generation of diet drugs.

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    bump
  • frygirl01
    frygirl01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The author of that article wrote a book called "The Obesity Myth." Also a very interesting read, as well as a book written back in 1997 called "The Skinny on Fat."
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The author of that article wrote a book called "The Obesity Myth." Also a very interesting read, as well as a book written back in 1997 called "The Skinny on Fat."

Gonna check those out...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    This stuck out to me:

"This is because observational studies merely record statistical correlations: we don’t know to what extent, if any, the slight decrease in mortality risk observed among people defined as overweight or moderately obese is caused by higher weight or by other factors. Similarly, we don’t know whether the small increase in mortality risk observed among very obese people is caused by their weight or by any number of other factors, including lower socioeconomic status, dieting and the weight cycling that accompanies it, social discrimination and stigma, or stress."
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You have to read the full article

"This is because observational studies merely record statistical correlations: we don’t know to what extent, if any, the slight decrease in mortality risk observed among people defined as overweight or moderately obese is caused by higher weight or by other factors. Similarly, we don’t know whether the small increase in mortality risk observed among very obese people is caused by their weight or by any number of other factors, including lower socioeconomic status, dieting and the weight cycling that accompanies it, social discrimination and stigma, or stress.

In other words, there is no reason to believe that the trivial variations in mortality risk observed across an enormous weight range actually have anything to do with weight or that intentional weight gain or loss would affect that risk in a predictable way. "

While I don't necessarily agree that a person should be categorized as unhealthy merely by their BMI/weight, often times those who are overweight or obese are at higher risk for health problems than those at a "normal" weight. As the study said, it's a correlation, and correlation does not equal causation.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice any mention of quality of life. Quality of life is kinda important. I would guess that those maintaining a healthy weight enjoy a more active life than those that are obese.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Also realize obesity based on BMI, if this is the study I saw another article on today, does not necessarily mean fat. Many men on this site who have a lot of muscle would be considered overweight or obese, yet their body fat percent and other health markers are great because they are not overweight or obese because of fat. When it comes down to it, all this study does is raise questions that need further study. That is ultimately what observational studies do.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Also realize obesity based on BMI, if this is the study I saw another article on today, does not necessarily mean fat. Many men on this site who have a lot of muscle would be considered overweight or obese, yet their body fat percent and other health markers are great because they are not overweight or obese because of fat. When it comes down to it, all this study does is raise questions that need further study. That is ultimately what observational studies do.
    If you are an athletic male or female, BMI will likely state you are obese. It's an antiquated measurement dating back to the early/mid 1800s and, in many instances, unfairly categorizes fit persons due to differences in diet and training.