Shin splints

Options
Anyone else get them?

I know they're usually due to inactivity but dang it hurts!

I only really have it in my left leg, I have good running shoes, and I stretch before working out. Is this something that I'll just have to deal with and it will go away with time?

Replies

• road2goal
    road2goal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from shin splints a lot so I feel your pain. I had them when I was working out every day and in fabulous shape so its not always due to inactivity. . To ease them you can apply ice (bags of frozen peas work great). Custom made Orthotics in my sneakers cured my shin splints. May want to give that a try. Good luck.
  • evilmj31
    evilmj31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Shin splints can be from a couple of different things - training too much too quickly. A big mistake a lot of people make is trying to run without working up slowly. If you are just starting to run you should slowly start with walk and running.
    - improper footwear, you should get assessed to see if you pronate. THere is a Running Room close to where I live and they did an assesment of my gait and made a suggstion as to what sneakers I should wear, my shin splints went away. You may need an orthodic, however you should not wear and orthodic and corrective sneaker, its one or the other.
    You should also streach after you run as well.

Ice and rest help a lot too.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    don't know how much this will help. but, i wear boots for everything except for exercising/running. i bought some insoles for my boots, and have been running pain free ever since.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Shin splints come from lots of things:
    *improper footwear for your feet--you may have good shoes, but did you get them from a place where they helped you choose the shoes right for you?
    *Tight calf muscles--make sure to warm up well (include ankle circles as well to warm up the muscle of the shin and stretch after. Do a normal calf stretch, then bend the knee slightly to stretch the soleus muscle (many people don't know to do this)
    *Training on hard and/or uneven surfaces--be sure to mix up the surfaces and try to run/walk on grass or a cushiony track if possible.
    * Muscle imbalances--be sure to exercise the muscle in the front of the shin as well as the calf

To help the pain, ice or ice massage after, ibuprofen
  • PinkKareBear
    Options
    bump
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Rest and ice them until the pain is gone. probably about 3 days. Then run 1/2 as much as you used to and build up.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Stretch, rest, ibuprofen and ice. I had them bad enough that it turned into a stress fracture. That's pretty much it for recovery.
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    As many have said R.I.C.E.

Another thing that helped me tremendously were these compression sleeves: http://www.zensah.com/womens-running-leg-sleeve.html

I use these when I run (I started out adding too much too soon). I've had a terrible time with shin splints. Until I got these. Now I don't have any shin pain what-so-ever. Good luck!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I had horrible shin splints when I first started running. I had the proper shoes, fitted at a good running store, I did start slowly, it took me at least two months to get up to two miles. I was in some serious pain! I bought a pair of compression sleeves at the local running store, and after wearing them for a while, my shin splints started going away. I did reduce my running until I started feeling better also. Now I wear them after long runs, and I bought another pair to have when my first is in the wash.

Edited to say that I have what Aubrey (posted above) has.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    When I used to run track I used to Ace bandage from just above ankles to just below knees and it helped enormously.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Stretch, rest, ibuprofen and ice. I had them bad enough that it turned into a stress fracture. That's pretty much it for recovery.

Skip the ibuprofen. Take Tylenol or acetaminophen instead.

An orthopedist I saw when I fractured my metatarsal told me Ibuprofen can inhibit bone development and not only increase your recovery time but also increase the likelihood that it could happen again if taken frequently.

If the shin splints are from running address the shoes as others have said, make sure you give your body adequate rest, and pay attention to your form. They can develop from overstriding, meaning your foot is landing too far in front of your body. Aim for it to land below your center of gravity.
  • cnash1303
    Options
    Anyone else get them?

I know they're usually due to inactivity but dang it hurts!

I only really have it in my left leg, I have good running shoes, and I stretch before working out. Is this something that I'll just have to deal with and it will go away with time?

usually shin splints are due to bad form. That is why people think they are due to inactivity. Actually they aren't your body adjusting to new exercise, they are you body slowly getting better form at running. The best way to prevent them is to avoid heel hitting and run on the bone just below your toes. Also knee high socks or leggings help.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Emily3456
    Emily3456 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This exercise helped me SO much! Please try it.

1. Find some stairs. Actually, just one stair or a curb will do.
    2. Turn so you're facing down the stairs. Scoot forward until just your heels are on the stair, with the rest of your foot hanging off (you can hold a wall or railing for balance).
    3. With your legs straight, point your toes downward as far as you can, then lift them up as far as you can. Repeat.
    4. Use a timer. Do as many as you can in 30 seconds. Do them rapidly, but with full extension and flexion.
    5. After 30 seconds, bend your knees at a 45-degree angle (about half way). Without pausing to rest, do another 30 seconds of flexing in that position. That's one complete set. If it burns like hell, then you're doing it correctly.
    6. Rest for a minute or two, then do another set—30 seconds with the legs straight, immediately followed by 30 seconds with the knees bent. Rest for a another minute, and repeat the two-part set.
    7. Each day, do three of these two-part sets. The total daily routine includes 6 30-second sessions.

http://gizmodo.com/5902699/banish-shin-splints-forever-with-one-magical-exercise

Also, remember to ice them!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I've always been told the best way to avoid them was proper stretching of the shin, calf, hamstring, and quad. I don't do a lot of running, so not sure how effective that really is for runners.
  • Dan_Lifts
    Options
    Have a look at this. It goes thoroughly into causes, prevention and rehabilitation.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints

Also, not just having "good shoes" but shoes that fit your gait is extremely important. Good luck!
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I had them when I started running too. I searched online thoroughly and fixed it. Here's how basically :

There are two main causes as far as I could tell. Poor calf flexibility and/or (most likely and) bad form, either walking or running. I was having them more often walking in fact.

To fix the form, avoid "heel strikes". Basically you should land with your foot almost flat, and roll out till you push off with your toes. To get a feel for that, tr to land with your foot right under you basically, not with your foot far in front of you. Look at marathoners running in videos, you'll notice very small strides most of the time, and faster pace. This helps a LOT with making sure you land properly, and avoid hitting with the heel. If you have running shos right now that you used, take a look at how it's worn out under the sole. You will most likely find that the heel rubber is quite used. It's a sign that you are not having the right form basically.

Then, to fix the flexibility. I did 2 stretches before and after each run for a while, now I still do it occasionally, but it's not really necessary anymore.

- Push against a wall. Right leg bent in front of you, left leg stretched behind you, kind of in a lunge position, you lean heavily against the wall to stretch the back leg. Switch legs of course.

- Stand on your left leg, put your right heel on the ground, point your toe at your face as much as you can, keeping the leg straight. It will stretch the lower part of your calf quite a lot. I still use the wall to keep balance and lean into the stretch as much as I can.

No more shin splints! Provided you keep the form right, that is.

Good luck!
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Shin splints come from lots of things:
    *improper footwear for your feet--you may have good shoes, but did you get them from a place where they helped you choose the shoes right for you?
    *Tight calf muscles--make sure to warm up well (include ankle circles as well to warm up the muscle of the shin and stretch after. Do a normal calf stretch, then bend the knee slightly to stretch the soleus muscle (many people don't know to do this)
    *Training on hard and/or uneven surfaces--be sure to mix up the surfaces and try to run/walk on grass or a cushiony track if possible.
    * Muscle imbalances--be sure to exercise the muscle in the front of the shin as well as the calf

To help the pain, ice or ice massage after, ibuprofen

This***
    ....and not running on your mid-foot. I had this problem a lot because I kept running heel-toe and I should have been landing on my mid-foot.