After workout protein. Why haven't I thought of this before?

Options

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky is an excellent choice for any occasion. I consider it the national food of these United States.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Fat and sodium much higher

There are plenty of shakes that are 110-130 cal and 25-30g of protein. AND.....cost!!!!

Those seem more like mid-day snacks than an after workout food!! JMO
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bumping...
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    fat. Beef jerky's if you eat it too much are high on cholesterol ( don't get me wronk, I love them), shakes usually are not, plus have some other vitamins and minerals in it. Esp if you take whey protein which has all the Lcreatine, lglutamin, etc in it to build lean muscle. Other wise, enjoy your jerky. LOL
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    The protein I take has 270 calories and 60g of protein per serving.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    can of tuna fish is also great. 100 cals and 26 grams of protein.
    Interesting math to get there.
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My protein powder has 50g protein in it and doesn't have all the sodium, fat, and other BS that jerky has in it. Jerky is more expensive gram for gram of protein.
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i love the beef jerky if im on the go. so satisfying
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    lulz. This one didn't make if past page one before it started..
  • sjohnny
    Options
    carbs are more important but supposedly a little bit of protein somehow helps the muscles absorb the blood sugar.

you have to eat/drink something as soon as you are done. if you workout and then don't eat some would argue you're better off just skipping the work out.

You do have to eat eventually but as far as eating the instant you're done working out, "some" would be wrong.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I prefer shakes for post workout and use the beef jerky as snack later in the day. I agree that the protein/cals/convenience ratio is hard to beat.
  • jazzguy4him
    Options
    Jerky is an excellent protein source. Almost 0 fat too since it's all melted off. Sodium is an issue as many have said.

This is why I prefer Whey protein after workouts: Whey is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, hence is broken dowm much faster. The faster protein is absorbed, the faster it starts its repair work.

I usually save the jerky for evening snacks.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be forgetting Turkey Perky Jerky.

50 Calories a serving
    0 Fat
    110mg Sodium
    20mg Cholesterol
    9g Protein

but price wise is much more expensive then a whey shake
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options

Ummm....I didn't have to do much match. Just had to read the package. But thanks for your comment.

tunaB.jpg

Pulled that photo from the webz. My cans at home say there are two servings per can and it lists the protein at 13 grams per serving, eat the whole can so...50+50=100 calories. aaaaand 13+13=26 grams of protein.

That math was very difficult.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Ummm....I didn't have to do much match. Just had to read the package. But thanks for your comment.

tunaB.jpg
    Pulled that photo from the webz. My cans at home say there are two servings per can and it lists the protein at 13 grams, eat the whole can so...50+50=100 calories. aaaaand 13+13=26 grams of protein. That math was very difficult.

The reason math was brought into it was because protein has 4 calories per gram and 26x4 = 104. 104>100.

Could be rounding error but one would assume it has trace amounts of fat too, which has 9kcal/g.

Not posting this to argue with you, just nerding out a bit.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Not posting this to argue with you, just nerding out a bit.

Nothing wrong with nerding out!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    carbs are more important but supposedly a little bit of protein somehow helps the muscles absorb the blood sugar.

you have to eat/drink something as soon as you are done. if you workout and then don't eat some would argue you're better off just skipping the work out.

You do have to eat eventually but as far as eating the instant you're done working out, "some" would be wrong.

there are 100s of research articles that back up what i said, here's one

http://oakbrooksc.com/docs/stager_chocmilk_study.pdf

show me a real piece of research that refutes it and i'll be happy to read it, otherwise, by all means, continue to talk out of your *kitten*.

Do i really think that your better off not exercising if your not going to eat immediately after? no, but i do think your better off eatting something, just make sure it fits in with the rest of what you should eat for the day.
  • sjohnny
    Options

show me a real piece of research that refutes it and i'll be happy to read it, otherwise, by all means, continue to talk out of your *kitten*.

Do i really think that your better off not exercising if your not going to eat immediately after? no, but i do think your better off eatting something, just make sure it fits in with the rest of what you should eat for the day.

Okay. That article talked about chocolate milk to restore glycogen before a second intense workout. I agree that you should consume something as soon as possible after a workout if you're going to work out again after a short time.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Your .pdf is specifically addressing a protocol where glycogen depleting exercise is performed and then a demand for glycogen is created shortly after. This is applicable to some endurance athletes and in that situation it's obviously necessary to replenish glycogen (and chocolate milk is a fine choice).

For an average fitness nut that trains once per day, they are usually:

a) Not fully depleting glycogen
    and
    b) Not needing glycogen replenishment intra-day because their training procedure doesn't require it.

And this is important context because for many dieters, getting their CHO through food intake is much more satiating. Not to mention applying nutrient timing procedures that aren't necessary (again, for this particular population) can reduce adherence.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I eat Meijer 1% Cottage Cheese.

Serving Size 1/2 Cup

80 cal
    3g of Sugar
    13g of Protein