Has anyone had success with Leslie Sansone tapes?

Options
I have an elliptical at home but it never makes me sweat or increases my heart rate. I am not ready for running and dislike going to the gym. I was researching work out tapes and came across Leslie Sansone. Her walk at home series seems to rate high on Amazon, but I was wondering if anyone here has had any success with her workouts. If not, what exercise DVD would you recommend? The 30 day shred was way too intense for me and very hard on my joints.

Replies

• L_Stradford
    L_Stradford Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It is very easy walking. I tend to do it when my 8 year old wants to exercise (of course she thinks it is fun). I have her 1 mile dvd, and her 5 mile dvd. You just need light weights and it still gets me pumping a bit. Her voice is extremely annoying though so buyer's beware. She is an excellent motivator during the workout as she tells you "not to give up" 100 times.

All in all, if you want something light to do (I do it after finishing the 30 Day Shred) then it's definitely maintainable.
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    Just seen that you said the 30 DS was a bit intense. In that case, her 5-mile dvd is a good way to smooth your way into dvd's like the 30 DS.

Good luck!
  • roguestates
    Options
    You can get her vids for free on youtube so there's no risk! I do her 4 mi walk and it can range from easy to moderate depending on how much effort I put in. It won't make you sweat, but you can still feel it if you put in extra energy or additional weights/movement.
  • xmandadollx
    xmandadollx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with weights. How do I get started with them? Is there a beginners weight DVD that you would recommend? I would not know where to start with them or how heavy the weights need to be starting out, etc.
  • calimoma
    Options
    i love her dvd! most people say that its easy, but it really gets my hear pumping! its a good workout!
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It's hard to believe your elliptical doesn't give you a work out. Have you adjusted your settings for increased intensity? The Sansone DVD's come in beginner-advance workouts. I am sure you could find one that is good for you. College video has good prices, a good selection, and allows you to preview the DVDs. Also you can preview a number of them on youtube. Again, the more you put in, the more you will get out of the workout.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Up the resistance or your speed/effort if the elliptical isn't making you work. It's one of the best all over workouts you can get. If you want to try the Leslie Sansone DVD's you don't need weights. It's all walking in place with some arm movements thrown in. Some people add really light weights to hold while they do it and I think a couple of the programs come with a stretchy band to use.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone DVDs are what got me to finally start exercising regularly. Here's a youtube link ... to see what you're getting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related

What I like about these DVDs as that they are totally customizable ..... buy a chaptered 5 mile DVD and use the "skip" button on your remote to make the workout as (short) or as long as you like. The "Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan" is great (check Target or Wal-Mart) .... this DVD has short strength training segments to mix in also.

http://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sansone-Ultimate-Walk-Plan/dp/B006NKFAA6/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1357238487&sr=1-7&keywords=5+mile

Bump up the intensity (when you're ready) by using weighted gloves, or a weighted vest. Other people use a rebounder (mini-trampoline) and do higher impact moves throughout the workout. A rebounder will be softer on your joints.

If you don't like Leslie's voice (I think she's fine ..... Jillians voice .... not so much) .... you can find Leslie Sansone DVDs that have a "music only" option ....
    http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/leslie-sansone-videos-10&aoshow=yes

5K With a Twist is fun ... it has jogging sequences. Walk Slim Fast Start & 3 Fast Miles also has a "music only" option.
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    Up the resistance or your speed/effort if the elliptical isn't making you work. It's one of the best all over workouts you can get. If you want to try the Leslie Sansone DVD's you don't need weights. It's all walking in place with some arm movements thrown in. Some people add really light weights to hold while they do it and I think a couple of the programs come with a stretchy band to use.

Just want to piggy back and let you know that you do not need weights but she uses them in the two videos that I have. I just follow whatever she is doing but you can just do the arm movements like the poster suggested.
  • xmandadollx
    xmandadollx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses! I am going to order one of her workouts on Amazon so I can get started today. It seems like a good supplement to my elliptical training. I have changed the settings many times and I need something a little more varied for my routines. If it can ease me into 30 day shred, it is another bonus!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I do them on my rest days for light cardio. It's fun and easy on the joints and gets your heart rate up a little. It's definitely not intense cardio but it's a good way of burning a little calories!
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've had terrific success with them in the past. She has dozens of DVDs/tapes from which to choose 1-mi, 15 minutes to 5-mi, more than an hour -- and several of the DVDs are mix and match so that you can skip the less intense miles and do extra high intensity miles. I never minded her voice as much as the synthisized music in some of them. I still have them, but don't use them much anymore: there's only so much mixing and matching you can do after several years! Borrow them from your library and see what you think!
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    There are no weights in the 1, 2 and 3 mile walks. I use them free off You Tube on a morning for a workout before work, the 1 mile is very easy and basic but the 2 and 3 miles get you moving a bit more. I would say they would be very good for anyone just starting out exercising. I've not seen any of the other of her DVDs referred to in this thread but I presume they get progressively harder. Good luck :smile:
  • sphomphak
    sphomphak Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have used them in the past and another one of my friends on here does them all the time, great success. I got them for my mom and she lost weight doing them also :)
  • Flab2Fab51578
    Options
    YES SHE IS AMAZING.. MY HUSBAND LOST 30 POUNDS DOING THEM SHH DON'T TELL HIM I ANNOUNCED THIS ON A NEWS FEED LOL.. I LOVE THEM BUT HAVE GOTTEN A TREADMILL NOW BUT IT'S A GREAT WORKOUT
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    I use her videos on youtube all the time. You can access them via your Wii if you have one so it's on your tv.

I alternate between her 30 minute and 45 minute walk and she really kicks my butt! Sometimes I have to go back to walking when she gets into the 4 leg lifts at once, she's insane lol.

Good luck! I think you'll love them!
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I really like them. THat's about all I do at home for workouts. So easy and I know the times they take etc... You could add weights and make it a more advanced work out.
  • MissSharkattack
    MissSharkattack Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I love Leslie! You can see her videos on youtube or just download them.
    Her workouts are very simple, but really do help get your heart rate up, especially if you are a beginner. And it is really easy to increase the 'difficulty', by jogging/running, etc.
  • tlatrice13
    tlatrice13 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Another Leslie fan. If you really exaggerate the movements and really put in the effort, they're a great workout - especially if you're new to exercise.