P90X

Options
I've been interested in P90X but most of the people I see doing it are already in good or decent shape. For some one in my condition does it make sense?

So the question is should I wait until I'm in better shape or is it a good start?

Replies

• melissacb
    Options
    Hi there!

I am currently doing p90x. I am on week 7 right now, and I think that p90x is for anyone who wants to change their life. It is intense, but Tony (the creator and instructor) shows you ways to modify each move so it works for you. What I love about it, is that you create your own intensity. Tony really stresses that you need to just "do your best, and forget the rest".

When I saw the p90x on TV, there was a really inspiring success story about a 32 year old man who was extremely over weight. He did p90x for 5 rounds. It took him a year and a half, but he is totally ripped now. Look on beachbody.com for success stories. It really helped motivate me. You see people from all different ages and fitness levels doing the program.

So, I think that you should get started on p90x right now. Just modify the moves. I am already so much stronger than the first day I started. I still have to modify TONS of the moves, but I just bring it as hard as I can.

Hope that answers your question.

Good luck to you!
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am doing p90x. I have done 2 days and I hurt bad lol but its a good hurt. I had to modify a couple of exercises on the Plyometrics video because I have a bad knee. So jumping on it does not work for me but I just modified and kept my heart rate up. I am not in the best shape and I am determined to continue. I think anyone can do it as long as we set our own goals. Tony is good at saying to go at your own pace. You don't have to do as much as they do or as fast :smile:
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing P90X. We are finishing our second week.

There is a fitness test at www.beachbody.com for P90X. It is recommended that you be able to pass it (or mostly pass it) before buying the package. The fitness test is a workout in and of itself, and it's a hint at what is to come. If you don't pass the fitness test, then he recommends you do Slim in Six to ramp up.

I am not "fit" like the models of P90X. I am a typical "before" picture. I can't do a pull up or chin up. Even so, I can do 80% to 90% of these videos. I am working for more.

What I love about P90X, is that none of the females on the videos are walking stcks. They all have muscle and meat on their bones. That is really nice to aspire to, as my "skinny" days of being a young fawn are over.

What I also love about P90X is that each of the workouts are so different, so much fun, and within each workout . . Mr. Tony mixes up the moves. The tapes fly by like a Zoomba class, actually. The week has a rhythem to it too. The beginning of the week, he's hitting the arms, chest . . .and then he leaves them alone to work on flexibility/yoga . . only to end the week at legs and cardio. Basically, what is sore today will get a light workout tomorrow and then be able to heal by day 3.

You do have to buy more than just the tapes. I went to the "Mega Mart" store and bought some big puzzle pieces gym flooring for $40 to cover my tile floors, yoga mat, yoga blocks, bans, and weights. I probably spent about $400 in total, but most of it was the weights. If you just get a couple of dumbells, you will do better in prices.

Hope that helps.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    LOL I never did the test at the beginning. I just jumped in to it. I am very strong willed though and when I set my mind to something I do it :smile:
  • melissacb
    Options
    I didn't do the fitness test at the beginning either, but I think that if you are really concerned about whether or not you should jump right into the program, then the fitness test would be a great place to start.
  • latoyabr
    latoyabr Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your response to my questions.

I will take the fitness test to see if I can pass it. I'm the type that is not strong willed when it comes to failure. I hate to fail and if something makes me feel less than I tend to leave it alone.

Probably the reason I can't stay motivated when working out.
  • chaoticjelly
    Options
    Hi Latoyabr,

I jumped right in when I first started with P90X. I was way out of shape and my wife and I got our tushes kicked. As you will hear while "Pushing Play" , "Do your best and forget the rest!" Because each day is different, you will work a variety of core and major muscle groups that will start to put together the framework that you need to get in shape. Just when you are feeling confident *BAM* everything shakes up and you are doing NEW exercises that TEST those newly found muscles!

My experience convinced me to become an Independent BeachBody coach. if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!

jhadams@ymail.com
  • worchard
    worchard Posts: 30
    Options
    My wife was already in shape and did the P90X and I started the P90 (regular). I'm glad I did. Over the past 12 weeks I lost over 40 pounds doing it and the last few weeks I added some P90X workouts into the routine. So you may want to get teh P90 and then work youru way into the P90X series.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    When you order P90X, there are three diffferent routines that you get for the price of one! Three for one deal! Anyway, there is the "doubles", "classic", and "lean". It's like papa bear, mama bear, and baby bear. Either bear will kick your butt. I am doing baby bear/lean , and have lost about 4 pounds in 2 weeks!

The workouts are so much fun and so varied that you can't get bored! Always something dfferent, and that will help to keep you motivated.