14 Year Old Step-Daughter

Options

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Include her in what you do. Not this is what I think or this is what I do. But would you do it with me type stuff. WIll you help me cook. Let's try somehting new approach. Tell her your going walking, invite her to go. Tell her that she is talking about some great ideas and you would like to do it to. Have fun!

I like this approach. I agree with another poster that said a structured weight loss program is probably not a good idea. Just lead by example. You want her to be healthy not to be on a "diet". Don't talk in that sense. Don't talk about restrictions on foods, talk about portion control. Include her in finding new healthier recipes that you can make together. Talk to her dad and make him realize that what he does is going to affect her. Kids follow their parents and he needs to be onboard too. Even if he doesn't make major changes he's part of the family and he needs to eating with the family and helping instead of harming. It sounds like you have a good handle on what you want to accomplish. Good luck.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand the negativity to food tracking/logging for teens. I'll definitely agree that a strict and aggressive weightloss regimen would be inappropriate. However, she is definitely of an age to understand the math of it, and the only way for her to know what things actually count for it, is to see that, to be able to eat something, and log it and see how she feels, then compare it to something else eaten and logged. That Hostess cupcake two pack doesn't seem nearly so tempting once you have eaten it, are hungry 30 minutes later, and then see that that is 320 calories compared to say 2 cups full of strawberries for 90 calories which are just as delicious and long term much more highly satisfying. And if she has had a poor diet all her life, she probably has no idea of what the actual values of the things that she is eating are, that the muffin she is eating may be really two or three servings, that the value sized meal she is eating may be more than an entire days calories. She doesn't likely know what real portion sizing are. And the best way to do that simply is to measure and track it. Doesn't even need to be weight loss. Start at maintenance levels so she can see where she should be. And letting her do her own logging, spreadsheets, whatever (doesn't have to be here) puts the control in her hands without making her feel like you are scrutinizing everything she eats.

It doesn't need to be an idea of calorie cutting. It more can be an idea of "If then" as in "if I eat_____ then I feel_____." Or "if this is what is appropriate for them then___fits into this way."
  • LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with erinsburns above. They have to know what their food choices mean, and logging on MFP gives them the information to control themselves and takes the parent out of "controlling" their diet.

Parental control over what a teenage girl eats is a recipe for disaster.

My 14 y/o girl is struggling, too, so I'm now enrolling her in WW (at her request).

MFP worked to help educate her, and was very helpful, but she started refusing to log in (b/c she knew she blew her calories) and has continued to gain weight.

I cannot get in the middle of controlling her food choices for the reasons many of the comments above have referred to.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    #1) Empower her to learn what her food choices mean by signing her up on myfitnesspal.

#2) If you need more help, bring her to weight watchers.

no. no. no.

I would HIGHLY advise AGAINST these recommendations.

She's a kid. Help her make healthy food choices. Don't have her count calories. Give her good, wholesome food. Encourage outside activity and fun exercise.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    #1) Empower her to learn what her food choices mean by signing her up on myfitnesspal.

no. no. no.

I would HIGHLY advise AGAINST these recommendations.

She's a kid. Help her make healthy food choices. Don't have her count calories. Give her good, wholesome food. Encourage outside activity and fun exercise.

I'll agree, I am not a fan of weight watchers for children, and I don't know that HERE is the best place for a teen. But at 14 she is way past the point of a parent giving her the correct foods and expecting that to solve the problem. She needs to internalize the logic of it all, see concretely what foods are and are not. Personally, I started with www.nutritiondata.com it let me plug in entire days and looks at everything all at once. But spreadsheets would work too.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Start with portion control. Show her what a portion of veggies look like, a portion of meat, etc. Emphasize that more veggies should be eaten at a meal for example than pasta or rice. Teach her to cook if she's interested.

Workout with her! If you are going for a walk, invite her along. If she has a Wii play the active games together (wii active, dancing games, etc). Go on bike rides, rollerblading, run the hills with her, etc.

If she isn't doing it alone it may be better for her and she will hopefully be more willing to stick to. Have her set a goal for herself. Nothing huge. Make sure she knows you are there to talk to and help her when needed. Encourage her! As another poster pointed out, tell her "great job" if she went for a walk, or run.

Explain to her how restaurants prepare their foods (fried, butter sauces, oils, etc) and explain how package food is prepared (sodium, sugars, preservatives, etc).

Show her healthy options when you go out to eat.

Tell her there are ways to make restaurant foods at home that are much healthier than when eating out and taste just as good.

Dad needs to be in it too... he can't go out and bring home take out. He needs to be on board and he needs to help her as well. If she is serious about it than he can't always be bringing home take out, inviting the family out to eat, bringing home chips, cookies etc.
  • lily653
    lily653 Posts: 18
    Options
    I agree with encouraging her. It sounds like she has made the decision to make the changes and the changes all sounds positive healthy ways to lose weight. I also agree with encouraging her not to focus on the number on the scale but on the positive changes she's making to improve her health. What the previous poster said about including her in what you do, I think that's fantastic. Being able to cook healthy meals is a great tool for weight loss and working together to find new, healthy, declious recipes would only improve the situation. And since it sounds like she's bought in to the idea of making healthier choices she may be more apt to eat the meals you cook and then maybe dad will too!
  • lily653
    Options
    Dad needs to be in it too... he can't go out and bring home take out. He needs to be on board and he needs to help her as well. If she is serious about it than he can't always be bringing home take out, inviting the family out to eat, bringing home chips, cookies etc.

Also this ^^^ dad has no right to make any comments about his daughter's weight when he's contributing to the problem.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You are a great mom, step-mom, and wife. What a nice approach to the whole issue! I agree that you can't change your husband. How great that you really get that!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Huge thanks to everyone for your advice!

She has actually done 2 races with me and loved them! She surprised me with how well she did. Being an athlete, activity isn't the hard part; it is definitely the food. I think trying to teach her portion control and better choices is the best way to go, and I'm going to have to have a serious talk with her dad...again. Making sure I have plenty of fruits and veggies on hand for snacks is a great idea, as well. We bought Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred last night. I work-out every day at the gym on the campus where I work, so I'm not sure I'll have the energy needed to do this with her, but I'm definitely going to try and definitely going to encourage her. She's excited about it!

I want her to have a good relationship with food, to have a basic understanding of nutrition, portions, and calories in vs. calories out in hopes that she will never have to use a site like this to lose weight. I am adamantly against the calorie counting. Her focus should be on her school work, sports, friends, church, and staying active while having fun - not logging her food.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    you sound like an awesome step-mom, i wish her the best on her journey! just always remind her that she can do it!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Tie the conversation to sports and performance rather than weight and being "thin". Success in sports will enhance her self esteem (legitimately) and raise her popularity with her school mates. Its win-win.
  • lily653
    Options
    I want her to have a good relationship with food, to have a basic understanding of nutrition, portions, and calories in vs. calories out in hopes that she will never have to use a site like this to lose weight. I

This is the best gift you can give her.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Last night my 17 yo daughter wanted fast food and offered to get me some too. I asked her to look up calories for me so i could figure what I could have. She was amazed how many calories and how much sodium there was in different things. It was an accident for me but can you have her "help" you plan (and learn that way)?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Continue to be a role model and praise her like crazy no matter how small the effort
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Since she is an athlete, use that as your avenue to helping her by explaining how proper and adequate nutritional intake will help her perform better and recover with softball and volleyball. As a growing, active teen, she needs to focus on that first and foremost, not about scale weight. Nutrition to help fuel and recover and exercise, such as body weight exercises, to help preserve lean body mass which is crucial for injury prevention in athletes.

Do not let her do too much on her own. You and her father should take most of the responsibility in terms of calorie counting, portion control and so forth. I would, however, discuss what her favorite foods are so you can select the best choices which would lead to compliance. And don't be too strict in terms of food restrictions - she should still be able to eat pretty much everything provided that she stays within a certain calorie goal to accommodate her daily energy needs. Again, she is a developing, active girl whose energy needs are quite high. You can also begin educating her on basic principles such as the Energy Balance Equation, TDEE, what macronutritents do for the body, etc.

If you wish to reduce her calories during sports season, only implement a small deficit, maybe 300-400 calories below what would be needed for her to maintain her weight so it does not negatively impact her recovery and training. So if she needs 2000 calories to maintain, then 1600-1700 would be a good estimate. Creating and maintaining (chronically) too large an energy deficit before her bone mass density has peaked can result in permanent loss which may not be recovered even with various therapies such as calcium supplementation and estrogen therapy.
  • neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    you're a fantastic step mum!
    I wish my mum had really listened to my pleas about my body image when I was your step daughter's age, and done more to help me. I'm still fighting with the habits I grew up with to do with food . . .

If you do have to bring up 'calories', which not switch the word to 'energy'. That's more related to kj's, which is just th metric conversion of calories, but it doesn't have a (possible) negative connotation as calories do. Ie - that snack has a lot of energy in it - shall we go for a walk later? Poor example on my part but you may get what I mean. I think at that age it's all about healthy choices and portion control - not about the numbers. I've seen posters about how many teaspoons of sugar are in different drinks/teaspoons of fat in take-out food, something like that might be helpful as its visual but not really focussed on calories. I wish you the best of luck!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Ask if she wants you to help and/or how you can help her. She is your kid, but she's also 14 -- she's becoming more and more independent and it's going to be important that she's allowed to be in charge of what help she gets. If you see her doing something wrong (eating too little, exercise bulimia, etc) you certainly need to intervene ... but otherwise let her dictate how you help her and how much.

You can always lead her, too. Ask her if she wants you to do specific things. "Do you want me to workout with you/do you want to work out with me?"; "Do you want to help cook dinner?"; "Do you want to go grocery shopping with me?". That way you're asking, but also giving ideas so you don't just get that infamous teen shrug off.

ETA: Echoing geekyjock -- I would not have her do calorie counting on her own. She's 14, after all. If she wants to count calories, you or her dad should take charge. But I would recommend steering clear of that and just helping her focus on food choices and portions instead.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

I respectfully dissagree, both would be not age appropriate. There is a reason MFP has an age limit.

Keep up with the encouragement and good example. Keeping her interested in sports and activities. And some education in how nutrition is going to help her with the mentally in school and on the playing field could benefit.

I think you are off to a great start.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Give her autonomy to make good choices - sounds like she's doing it.
    Suggest tools she can use and let her chose which ones to use and how
    COMPLIMENT her on her good choices
    Let her do it

I write a blog of Psychology Today that focuses on parent-teen relations. You might find this one helpful:

https://my.psychologytoday.com/blog/thinking-about-kids/201110/teens-respond-pleasure-not-pain-parent-accordingly

It basically argues that kids are much more responsive to rewards than to future negatives. So compliments and 'you're going to do greats' are more effective than 'you'll be unhealthy' or 'you won't look good' or 'you'll never take it off later'.