The Microwave: Friend or Foe?

Options
Hi all,

I just got into a heated debate with some coworkers. It all started when I waltzed by the microwave during lunch time and two ladies told me to 'watch out!' When I asked why, they explained to me that the microwave was very dangerous! Again, I asked why. Neither of them knew and told me to look it up. Well, that was odd, I thought. If you are so scared of something, shouldn't you know why? For example, I'm scared of driving because I'm scared of car accidents. I've seen them happen, I've been in a car, I've been on a road, and have known victims of car accidents. If it is tangible, real, or proven throughout the ages, then I'll believe it.

After doing some research on this subject, I've only been able to find blogs, not articles, of people's opinions on the topic. I've found no studies, no articles and no research proving either side of the argument is true or false.

Can anyone tell me - are microwaves our friend or our foe?

Peace!

jes

Replies

• AussieTrainer
    Options
    I have heard quite a bit on this recently. Apparently the microwave degrades the nutrients in the food in some way. I have no idea if this is accurate or not. Reliable research has been scarce...

I take my vitamins and don't worry about it. But just in case, I try not to stare through the window while it's cooking. :happy:
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I rarely use mine, except for leftovers.... Friend!
  • jlaurena
    Options
    Wouldn't a microwave take less time to heat nutrient-rich food, therefore making it MORE healthy than stove top cooked nutrient-rich food?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I don't have one. My stove works. But in past threads about this, no compelling evidence has been found to call them dangerous.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Microwaves are fine, the universe is full of them.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't have a mircowave at home - ours went out and we just found that we didn't need another one. I like having to think about what I'm going to eat. The mircowave just made it too easy to eat too much convience food.

However, I don't believe they are evil. I use the one at work a few times a week to heat up left overs.

To each their own, I suppose.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Well, I never stood to close to an operating microwave when I was pregnant. No real reason, though. Probably just misplaced paranoia that there would be some radiation leakage. I'm sure it was unecessary and silly, but I did a lot of silly things while pregnant in the best interest of my developing baby.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have heard quite a bit on this recently. Apparently the microwave degrades the nutrients in the food in some way. I have no idea if this is accurate or not. Reliable research has been scarce...

I take my vitamins and don't worry about it. But just in case, I try not to stare through the window while it's cooking. :happy:

There have been studies on this. Here is a nice, very accessible piece from the public health people at Harvard: http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/Microwave-cooking-and-nutrition.shtml
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813515-i-threw-away-my-microwave-aka-death-box?hl=deathbox

PS - microwave ovens are perfectly safe so long as you are not inside them while they are on.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Hm I say Frenemy. haha - I personally like things cooked on the stove or in the oven much better than in the microwave. However, I'm not going to cook oatmeal or a cup of noodles on the stove, ya know?

I've not done any research on the topic, but supposedly the radiation that microwave gives off is supposed to be harmful. Lord knows how true that is though. However, having that in my head, I usually walk away and do something else while the microwave is heating up my food, but I've never heard or read that it does anything bad to the food itself.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    A cook a large percentage of my food in the microwave.

My face does not currently resemble that of the Nazi in Iniana Jones.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There is no evidence that they are in any way harmful assuming used in the manner in which they are supposed to be used.
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use mine at home for reheating leftovers and the occasional cheat "baked" potato .... Friend!!!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Sure, we'd all love to use a stove all the time but when you're at work, what are you supposed to do? No one wants to always run out and waste money on meals. Friend!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Microwaves are fine, the universe is full of them.

Ding ding ding!

Brb, exciting molecules in food causes friction as a by product. Danger danger.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I just got into a heated debate with some coworkers. It all started when I waltzed by the microwave during lunch time and two ladies told me to 'watch out!' When I asked why, they explained to me that the microwave was very dangerous! Again, I asked why. Neither of them knew and told me to look it up. ...

You totally misunderstood them. That particular microwave is dangerous because it is on a shelf that is not big enough to hold it and is not properly attached to the wall. It is perched precariously and will eventually fall on someone as they waltz by. They weren't telling you to "look it up" they were advising that you "look up" as you waltz by so that you can pay more attention to the microwave and the falling hazard it has become.

Please go thank them for caring about your safety.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I hardly think they are dangerous unless you manage to fit yourself inside of one. That being said, I really don't like what it does to the texture of meat and bread. BLEH! Seldom use mine.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    1287506749_cat-in-microwave.gif
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    (sarcasm font on) Don't you know - they are just one big DEATH BOX (sarcasm font off)