Does Zumba actually work?

Options

Replies

• mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    I only do it with the Wii in my living room. I love it! I burn 350 calories in a 22 minute class and they are no breaks on the classes. I have Zumba 2. I can ride the bike or the exercise bike and while I know thats good exercise, it doesn't really make me sweat that much. With Zumba you sweating and you are moving your arms and hips, not just the legs. I think it is getting me more and more fit every day. I can feel the difference in my stamina. I am 55 and have another 100 pounds to lose.
  • amanda3258
    Options
    Zumba actually works really well, but you have to actually move, and often. If you do it once or twice a week you might see minimal results. I go to Zumba at the gym twice each week and I do Zumba at home each night and/or morning I don't go to the gym. I love the workout and I get to brush up on my dancing. Every day I feel a burn in another part of my body and it's so satisfying. Remember to eat healthy. YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF HOW YOUR BODY LOOKS AND FEELS
  • whit1108
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA!! I teach zumba and i know alot of people who have lost weight from zumba. I think it all depends on what kind of class you go to. I think that going to a actually class burns alot more calories than the dvd's but i also think that that it depends on the teacher also on how many calories you burn.. For example... In my class that i teach we go the full hour no breaks at all which burns ALOT of calories... but the other day i went with a friends to another gym and took a zumba class and that teacher did three songs and took a 5 mins break and then three songs and another break etc... To me it was so boaring and i hardly even broke a sweat.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been doing Zumba at home for about 3 months. I have trimmed down my body from a size 14 to a 12. Since I'm almost 69 years old that's pretty good. (older women usually don't lose that fast) On My Fitness Pal, I only burn about 50 calories walking my dog for 30 minutes. When I do a 30 minute class on Zumba, I burn 310. Also, I'm sweating, breathing hard and it reminds me of high impact aerobics. Perhaps you need to make a personalized playlist for the amount of time you want to work out.

Are you sure about the dog walking? That doesn't sound like much to me.
  • ohhman10
    Options
    I Zumba an hour a day and wear a HRM and average 500 calories a session. Hope this helps!
  • ChiliP43
    ChiliP43 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am going to try my first Zumba class in about 1 hour. I hope I like it. How do you enter it on Myfitnesspal, I don't see Zumba anywhere under exercise.
  • ChiliP43
    ChiliP43 Posts: 20
    Options
    I tried Zumba on Friday and it was more of a workout than expected. I will be going back for sure.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba and other forms of cardio dance very much. As far as toning and upper body strength is concerned, it depends upon the instructor if you go to a Zumba class... Some instructors do use the methods of Zumba Toning... Also the Zumba Exhilarate DVDs do incorporate some toning exercises... However, I would not depend on Zumba toning methods... It is necessary in my opinion to spend some time either using free weights or weight resistance machines... In addition, I believe that it is necessary to incorporate protein rich foods into your diet...

But in any case, Zumba is very good for cardio fitness... I have been going to Zumba classes for over a year and my heart's ejection fraction improved from only 27% to 45%... My cardiomyopathy is not a severe as it had been when I started going to Zumba classes...
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thought I chimed in here. I did Zumba on Xbox (kinext) for 30+ days now. I moved from high medium to high intensity in 3 weeks. I was taking 2 pills for High Blood pressure., Now I'm taking 1 only, because my BP is constantly staying around 110/70 range +/- 7
    Cause if I take 2 pills , I started to have mini episodes of dizziness and blackout.
    Also I lose 5 inches in the tummy alone. and I've lost 18 lbs in 50 days. ( I workout everyday) I agree with JJscholar about adding weight training, I do cardio boxing for 15 mins with different weight set from 1 lb to 10 lb also plus weight training. + weight training. My wife loves my new body.

Zumba is however NOT a party game. It's is a great workout hiding behind lots of fun. It'll be easier if you like to dance.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Zumba is awesome.. and yes it is good for the waistline. And for the men inquiring, yes a great workout for you too. There are several men that come to the class that I do!
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    On YouTube, go to John Drury dance. He was 400+ truck driver who decided it was time to do something and joined a zumba class, losing 100#. He is 6'5" tall and looks really good. He filmed several dance workouts and when he is home, leads classes in his basement for friends and family to work out.
  • giovanna1968
    Options
    i did classes for two years and i miss it. it was the most fun exercise i ever did (next to being outdoors) and it does get you in shape. a great form of cardio. classes are always more fun.
  • ktownchik2005
    ktownchik2005 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've never been to the classes but I have the Zumba workout for the Wii. For me it depends on the length. If I just do the 20 minute class then it's really only for the cardio. But after the 45 minute one my legs are burning, my sides are aching and I'm pretty much dead on my feet. I can't tell you for sure if it helps with definition because I do a lot of other exercises so I'm not sure what's responsible. But I love Zumba and would recommend it for anybody:)
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Oh, IT WORKS! I've lost 74 lbs doing mostly Zumba (just started adding in bootcamp and weight training within the last few months). Find a high intensity instructor who suits your style and you won't even realize that you've burned 750 cals in an hour long class. Try different instructors until you fall in love with one! I can't vouch for the video game Zumba though.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba!!!! It is the only workout I do regularly and I love it. When I first started I could make it through the whole class but had to take out some of the jumps, etc. Now, after going 5 times a week for 12 weeks, I can make it through the whole class without modifying. I like going to classes rather than doing it at home because the enthusiasm of the instructor and others in the class encourages me to really push myself. And they change up the songs so you can't get bored. I am BEAT by the end of the class! Since staring Zumba five times a week I have lost almost 33 pounds. It does work!

I am lucky if my instructors leave a 10 second gap to grab water. They would be HORRIFIED by hearing about someone leaving such big gaps in between songs.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

I am lucky if my instructors leave a 10 second gap to grab water. They would be HORRIFIED by hearing about someone leaving such big gaps in between songs.

10 seconds or so is also how I teach my class...a break any longer than that, and not only does your heart rate start to come down, but your muscles start to sieze up, especially after a really high intensity song! Ouch! I definitely suggest jumping jacks or something for anyone who's class has large gaps...maybe if you do it enough, the instructor will catch the hint!

I also wanted to share this photo collage I put together of the progress I made (88lbs down!) teaching Zumba after twins! It really does work, you just have to do it every day!

4ef4fb86-4ea9-4c51-9550-41f1104dcf07.jpg
  • MikeCback
    Options
    As long as you actually keep moving during the whole workout at home you'll def notice some improvement in the target areas. I got the target zones DVD set at fitness rebates - http://www.fitnessrebates.com/10-exhilarate-target-zones-zumba-bundle/ It's a pretty good workout
  • dianek53
    dianek53 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Zumba does everything it says it will do whether you do at home or at the gym as long as you keep moving and drink plenty of fluids you will start to see results in a few weeks. Plus it is fun to do especially at the gym as you meet people and have fun together as Zumba is a fun workout. Enjoy and just have fun
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    It works very well in regards to taking your money for an organised mess-around that you could do by yourself.

Much better use the fitness videos online on Youtube and the like for free.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba though I wasn't focusing on any specific target areas on my body. It has helped me to lose weight. I like it!