Buttered Toast

Options
I love it, but I am trying to cut down on dairy and find a lower cal substitute for butter. I don't really miss it when it comes to cooking/baking but when it comes to toast what's the best sub?

Replies

• trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Sorry this is not really going to help as \i have stopped eating as much toast. When I do have it i have it with butter.
    Toast is nice with thinly sliced Halloumi cheese (cypriot cheese) and sliced tomato. If I fry an egg I do not use butter on my toast, the same with baked beans. Oh dear, this really hasn't helped.....
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much given up butter for the most part. I'd just rather eat other things. But I'll often put cream cheese on my toast if I'm putting eggs on top. Or I'll have real peanut butter. Or cottage cheese. Sometimes I'll do jam and cottage cheese on toast as a meal. Or if it's for a sandwich I'll use light mayonnaise.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I like cheese on my toast, also peanut butter. I don't know if you save in calories, but you get more nutrition.
    (actually I'm not eating wheat/bread these days)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I ate toast with butter regularly while losing weight and still enjoy it now I am maintaining. As long as you aren't using a Spackle knife to apply butter to toast, it's fine. One teaspoon of butter only has 30-odd calories.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You could just cut down on toast, and only have the pair as a treat. Or have 1 slice instead of 2.

That being said, one of my all time favorite breakfasts is eggs over easy with a goat cheese on toast (doesn't help your dairy, but is still totally sublime).
  • cats121
    cats121 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm with the other posters about either giving it up or changing out altogether what used to be a favorite. Not sure if you've ever tried brummel & brown spread - it's acutally yogurt based and I think it's pretty good. It's not butter but it's a little creamier than some of the other fake butter products. While peanut butter has more calories, it's also a lot more satisfying and that's what I tend to use on my toast! Good luck!
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options
    If dairy is your concern, there are plenty of vegetable-based spreads - many of which are lower-calorie as well. Just stay far away from anything hydrogenated. If you don't mind a bit of dairy, Brummel and Brown (?) makes a yogurt-based spread which is delicious and 50 cals/TBSP.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I use either one of these two:

-Smart Balance Buttery Burst Spray (zero calories, zero fat)
    -Land O Lakes Light Butter with Canola Oil Spread (5 g fat, 50 calories, 5 mg cholesterol, 0 trans fat)
  • Sla6adm
    Sla6adm Posts: 31
    Options
    I tried using margerine instead of butter, but as it was so tasteless I actually ended up using way more so there was really no health saving! If you are just trying to cutback, just eat less like a slice. If you are dairy intolerant like me, use a butter like "pure" which has the lactose removed. If butter in any form is too tempting, use weight watchers jam which is really good, and you only need a little bit - low in calories too. x
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options
    I'm with the other posters about either giving it up or changing out altogether what used to be a favorite. Not sure if you've ever tried brummel & brown spread - it's acutally yogurt based and I think it's pretty good. It's not butter but it's a little creamier than some of the other fake butter products. While peanut butter has more calories, it's also a lot more satisfying and that's what I tend to use on my toast! Good luck!

Beat me to it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    Stick with the butter or coconut oil or avocado. Natural is best.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of peanut butter. Also, hummus. I chose to give up butter/substitutes. If you don't want to give it up you could always just try using less.
  • lindsayva
    Options
    Anything that has protein in it is better than the butter. Try only having one piece of whole-wheat toast with a spread like peanut butter, almond butter or light cream cheese (any flavour) and a piece of fruit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    I agree that cutting down on the bread is the better plan. When I was actively losing, I didn't eat toast as a snack. I had trouble feeling satisfied with one piece, so I had to try other approaches to bread.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Which has more calories, the butter or the bread?