question about target heart rate

Options
so i googled, and found several sites given me a "target heart rate" range for when i exercise. the range is huge...like 103 to 150-something. what is ideal...aka, what will get me the most bang for my (cardio) exercise buck? staying toward the high end of the range without going over? varying my heart rate within the range (intervals)? just maintaining a heart rate within the range during the entire period of exercise? or is it okay to be over my range (like if i try and run for any extended period, i will go over the range, but is that actually "worse" than staying at a 4.0 walk but staying within my THR, or because i'm exercising "harder", is it "better")?

most of my exercise right now is on my treadmill. i mix in JM 30DS and a little bit of free weights (1x/week, maybe). eventually i would like to move toward doing more strength training, but right now i feel like i have so much weight still to lose, i'm just not "there" yet. maybe that's not the right way of looking at it.

probably a dumb question, but thanks for any guidance. i want to learn what's going to be best for my body, weight loss and fitness goals.

Replies

• _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Good question. This is a complicated topic, and there is a plethora of mis information out there on the subject (FAT BURNING ZONE being one of the worst). Training in the proper heart rate zones will get you MUCH more bang for your buck. I would highly suggest investing in a heart rate strap. It will allow you to train outside, and you really should not be holding onto handles on the treadmill. I use a bluetooth monitor that integrates with my iphone

This article does a pretty good job of explaining things
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=53

First of all you need to understand your max heart rate, and resting heart rate.
    Max heart rate is genetic, it has nothing to do with your age or fitness. If you are not in shape working up to your max heart rate is not advisable. (You should really get cleared by a doctor before stressing your heart to this degree).

Resting heart rate:
    This should be taken before getting out of bed in the morning. You need this to calculate good training zones, It is a good indicator of overall fitness, and an early indicator of over-training. I use a free iphone app that measures the heart rate using the camera. It works well.

My preferred method for heart rate zones is Karvonen method. It gives you much more targeted zones that are adjusted based on your fitness. If you google for this there are some calculators that will help you figure out your zones. (here is one example http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm)
    There is also another popular system called the MAF system. I don't use it so I won't comment here. I have heard good things though.

Once you know your zones use these basic principles (Note: these are Karvonen zones not the standard zones you see on your Cardio Machines)

Zone 1: This should be used for recovery. Work out in this zone following an intense day (either extra long day in zone 2/3 or work at zone 4 / 5)

Zone2: Can be used for recovery, most useful for building up to longer workouts. You should target this zone until you can work out here for 60 minutes.

Zone3: Bread and butter aerobic zone. Once you build up to 60 min workouts, you should spend a lot of time working out in this heart rate zone. This will build your aerobic capacity which will allow you to go harder at lower heart rates. You burn fat as a primary fuel in this zone, you will also burn some carbs.

Zone 4: This is the threshold zone. Once you have a good aerobic base you will want to work out here 1 or 2 times per weak. Working in this zone will raise your anaerobic threshold. This will allow you to work out more intensly (higher heart rate) for much longer. (because you will not be anaerobic)

Zone 5: This is reserved for interval work. Short intervals into this zone with ample easy recovery time in between, will raise your VO2Max, and train your body's anaerobic system. Intervals have also been shown to raise your metabolism for 24 hours following workout.

Best of luck and good on ya for being smart with your workout time!!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later :)
  • aadutton
    Options
    Good question. This is a complicated topic, and there is a plethora of mis information out there on the subject (FAT BURNING ZONE being one of the worst). Training in the proper heart rate zones will get you MUCH more bang for your buck. I would highly suggest investing in a heart rate strap. It will allow you to train outside, and you really should not be holding onto handles on the treadmill. I use a bluetooth monitor that integrates with my iphone

This article does a pretty good job of explaining things
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=53

First of all you need to understand your max heart rate, and resting heart rate.
    Max heart rate is genetic, it has nothing to do with your age or fitness. If you are not in shape working up to your max heart rate is not advisable. (You should really get cleared by a doctor before stressing your heart to this degree).

Resting heart rate:
    This should be taken before getting out of bed in the morning. You need this to calculate good training zones, It is a good indicator of overall fitness, and an early indicator of over-training. I use a free iphone app that measures the heart rate using the camera. It works well.

My preferred method for heart rate zones is Karvonen method. It gives you much more targeted zones that are adjusted based on your fitness. If you google for this there are some calculators that will help you figure out your zones. (here is one example http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm)
    There is also another popular system called the MAF system. I don't use it so I won't comment here. I have heard good things though.

Once you know your zones use these basic principles (Note: these are Karvonen zones not the standard zones you see on your Cardio Machines)

Zone 1: This should be used for recovery. Work out in this zone following an intense day (either extra long day in zone 2/3 or work at zone 4 / 5)

Zone2: Can be used for recovery, most useful for building up to longer workouts. You should target this zone until you can work out here for 60 minutes.

Zone3: Bread and butter aerobic zone. Once you build up to 60 min workouts, you should spend a lot of time working out in this heart rate zone. This will build your aerobic capacity which will allow you to go harder at lower heart rates. You burn fat as a primary fuel in this zone, you will also burn some carbs.

Zone 4: This is the threshold zone. Once you have a good aerobic base you will want to work out here 1 or 2 times per weak. Working in this zone will raise your anaerobic threshold. This will allow you to work out more intensly (higher heart rate) for much longer. (because you will not be anaerobic)

Zone 5: This is reserved for interval work. Short intervals into this zone with ample easy recovery time in between, will raise your VO2Max, and train your body's anaerobic system. Intervals have also been shown to raise your metabolism for 24 hours following workout.

Best of luck and good on ya for being smart with your workout time!!

thank you. i definitely need a hr monitor. although i don't "hold the bars" for long periods of time on the treadmill, it is necessary to do a little bit to test my hr occasionally, at present. i believe i have a hr monitor watch from when i was doing p90x. which, i did faithfully for over 2 months and never lost a pound. part of this was diet but i also now wonder if part of it was that i am fairly sure i was in an anaerobic hr zone the majority of every single work out (like into the 170s constantly for an hour). it was just a bad program for my fitness level (or lack of fitness level) at the time. i'll do some research into the concepts you talk about and pay more attention in the future.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    A very basic way to determine your target is 220-your age=Max heart rate. Then multiply by .60 and .80
    So for me:
    220-39= 181
    181x.60=108.6
    181x.80=144.8
    So my heart rate should fall between 108 and 144
    There are more very technical methods, but this is a good basic approach for those new to exercise

So if you are new to exercise, start training at the lower end and work towards training to the 80% of your zone. Interval training is awesome and generally keeps your heart rate higher even though you are throwing in rest intervals (active rest)
  • aadutton
    Options
    A very basic way to determine your target is 220-your age=Max heart rate. Then multiply by .60 and .80
    So for me:
    220-39= 181
    181x.60=108.6
    181x.80=144.8
    So my heart rate should fall between 108 and 144

There are more very technical methods, but this is a good basic approach for those new to exercise

this formula, i understand and have used. my issue/question was with the fact that there's a lot of difference between 108 and 144. is it best to stay up near 144 for as much as my workout as possible, to vary it between 108 and 144, something else, etc. (using your numbers as an example)?
  • _reno_
    Options
    Age and fitness do not impact your max heart rate. This formula has a result of 186 for me. My actual max heart rate is 195 (this is a significant difference).

I realize that spending the time to calculate more complex zones isn't easy, but it is better than wasting hundreds of hours working out and not getting results.

in my experience new exercisers tend to fall into two categories.
    1) they arent used to working out, pushing themselves feels uncomfortable, and thus they work out at very low heart rates.

2) they are trying to learn to run, they go way to hard, and skip right over the phase of building up their aerobic base.

Both of these are bad, and waste your time.

Not to be rude but working out at 108BPM is a waste of your time.
  • _reno_
    Options

thank you. i definitely need a hr monitor. although i don't "hold the bars" for long periods of time on the treadmill, it is necessary to do a little bit to test my hr occasionally, at present. i believe i have a hr monitor watch from when i was doing p90x. which, i did faithfully for over 2 months and never lost a pound. part of this was diet but i also now wonder if part of it was that i am fairly sure i was in an anaerobic hr zone the majority of every single work out (like into the 170s constantly for an hour). it was just a bad program for my fitness level (or lack of fitness level) at the time. i'll do some research into the concepts you talk about and pay more attention in the future.

yeah starting at an hour that high is to much for sure!! sounds like you are on the right track and are paying attention to your body! by doing this you are far ahead of many
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I went back and edited while you were replying since I forgot to include the other info, but basically, I try to stay towards the high end when I work out for an extended time period
  • _reno_
    Options

this formula, i understand and have used. my issue/question was with the fact that there's a lot of difference between 108 and 144. is it best to stay up near 144 for as much as my workout as possible, to vary it between 108 and 144, something else, etc. (using your numbers as an example)?

This is really where the karvonen method excels.

These are my zones which you can see are quite small (5-10BPM difference)
    Zone 2 141-161
    Zone 3 162-167
    Zone 4: 168-174

Trying to stay in zones this small is actually quite challenging, but it gives you a much more specific target.

It is also superior because the zones change as your fitness improves (this is due to factoring resting heart rate in)
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    bumping for later!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Regarding working out at 108, I think "being a waste of your time" depends on what your fitness goals are. If your fitness goals are to be flexible, walk 30 minutes per day every day, and be able to be active and comfortable, it's a perfectly fine goal. Some people don't want to "work out" but rather just want to be able to be functional and energetic. What I mean by this is that my mom and dad walk every day, probably in that range, and they are in their 60s. It is a perfect form of exercise for them, and they are very healthy. :smile:
  • txteach09
    txteach09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually got a HRM for Christmas (I asked for one :)) and it is amazing!! My thing is Zumba and other group exercise classes, and it really helps to monitor your HR when working out. I have a Polar FT4 (Gold watch) with a chest strap. It was on sale at Best Buy for 49.99! The best 50 bucks you can spend!

Although I may not look it, I would consider myself to be somewhat in shape. I started working out August of 2011 about 3 times a week, just doing boring old treadmill and elliptical. I then discovered Zumba and loved going to work out. But, like I mentioned, I just recently got a HRM and it makes my workouts even more intense and fun!

Now, my heart rate zone (per my HRM) is about 120-165. During Zumba, I have hit a max HR of 195 before and it doesn't affect me at all since I'm used to the high intensity of it. When I start to see that 200, I definitely tone it down!

OVERALL, I think if you are just starting out, see where you feel most comfortable at. If you can workout for an hour with your HR on the higher side (you also have to remember to do some high intensity, low intensity, then work that heart rate back up), I would say to shoot for that higher range!

Hope this helps, I'm no personal trainer or anything, just giving advice based on what I'm doing!
  • _reno_
    Options
    Regarding working out at 108, I think "being a waste of your time" depends on what your fitness goals are. If your fitness goals are to be flexible, walk 30 minutes per day every day, and be able to be active and comfortable, it's a perfectly fine goal. Some people don't want to "work out" but rather just want to be able to be functional and energetic. What I mean by this is that my mom and dad walk every day, probably in that range, and they are in their 60s. It is a perfect form of exercise for them, and they are very healthy. :smile:
    Agreed
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Really interesting info from _Reno_
    Bumping to read properly later.
  • jsheehan46
    jsheehan46 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Reno gave a great overview and very accurate!! The only think I would add it getting tested for your AT - anaerobic threshold. Along with resting and max this is a good number to have and get tested from time to time.....your AT and resting will change some as you get more fit and your max doesn't really change. Great stuff to be looking at - I'm a firm believer in training with heart rate!!!
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well my suggestion would be to visit Polar's web site. You can get a lot of information from people who do it for a living. http://www.polar.com/en/about_polar/who_we_are/research you can get a lot of information there. Where you maintain your heart rate during exercise depends on your goals.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    To be honest it really does not matter, do a varity of excercise, do intevals, do long periods at a low heart rate, do short intense bouts.

If you are not very fit every time you raise your heart rate you are helping yourself - so I I say do it all.

Also I have read that 30 minutes 4-5 times a week is enough with some weights 2 days and you are golden!
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    People often wonder how much and in which intensities they should train. The simplest means of determining this is to listen to your own body. Heart rate based training gives clear guidance on how to train to reach your individual goals, based on your personal heart rate and heart rate variability. Although there are many subjective clues as to how your body is doing during exercise – such as perceived exertion, breathing rate, and physical sensations – none is as reliable as measuring heart rate.

Being an accurate measure for workout intensity, recovery level and long-term progress, heart rate is a window to your own fitness. Each person reacts to physical strain individually, depending on the size of the heart, fitness level, skills, and daily changes of stress level. This can be seen in heart rate variability, which measures the variations in the time between successive heart beats. Unlike common misconception, heart does not beat as regular as clockwork. On the contrary, the healthier the heart, the better it adapts to different situations and changing circumstances. Polar training computers can detect these slight changes in heart rate variability by measuring beat-to-beat intervals in milliseconds.
    With regular training, the heart muscle becomes stronger, so it does not have to contract that often – therefore decreasing heart rate both during exercise and in rest, and increasing heart rate variability, which is a sign of fitness and a healthy heart. Polar has introduced number of features based on heart rate and heart rate variability that help athletes and active people in fitness assessment, guide them in their training and give tools for training follow-up. This way heart rate monitoring enables you to accurately adjust your training program, helping you vary your training depending on your fitness level and the goals you want to achieve by training.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,177 Member
    Options
    This is all very helpful to me as I know NOTHING!