Spinning classes

Options
I'm considering taking a spinning class at my local gym and was looking for some insight on if they're worth the money/good exercise or any tip really.

That being said, I'm a dancer so my biggest fear is getting my quadriceps too big or it being to hard on my knees s since they're not at their best shape (ballet did its damage on them over the years :P ) BUT I loooove to bike so i thought i would enjoy it

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy a good spin class. But it being worth it is completely up to you. They are included in my gym membership so it's not something I have to pay additional for. I think the only way to know is to give it a try. One class is certainly not going to increase your quads at all. My recommendation for a first time spinner is always to take it easy though. Get a feel for how a class is run, get a feel for the bike, etc. I think if you try and go too hard that first time you won't want to come back. I wasn't a big fan the first time but I made myself try again and loved it! That being said I only take one now once every few weeks because it just doesn't fit in my schedule.
  • Juliechilli
    Juliechilli Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed that my legs got bigger. I do love the awesome burn from spinning. I only spin a couple of times per week as I try to keep my workouts varied. Your bottom will be a bit sore but that goes away by your 2nd or 3rd class. Overall, it's a great way to burn calories!
  • maxell91
    Options
    Don't try to keep up with the regulars your first time and don't get discouraged because an hour long class will kick your butt. As a guy who jogs an hour everyday I figured it wouldn't that hard for me to jump in, but I was very mistaken.
  • AnniePenny
    AnniePenny Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Jajajaja thanks!!! I'll give it a try and see how it goes :)
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am very experienced in this area. First, you should by Cycling shorts or cycling bib tights as it provides padding in the crotch area. Second you should wear a Heart rate monitor and learn how to use it. Most beginner spin classes run 30 minutes to 40 minutes. Most spin classes will let you have water while spinning.
    You should not get big quads as you will not be riding in the "big gear" You will most likely be spinning at speed either in easy gear or medium gear. I prefer spin classes where you actually micmic road riding. I do not like the classes where the instructor has you standing and sitting - standing and sitting. That kind of spin class will most likely hurt your knees. You might be able to opt out of the standing and sitting and just spin through that part of the workout.
    If your seat is at the correct height then you should not have any knee problems. The motion of the knee on the crank is circular. As the class title says you are spinning not pumping. So, your leg or your knee should not have full extension nor should it be fully bent.
    Your spin class should provide you with the kind of workout that will improve your stamina.