I didn't know I had it in me!

Options
GumbyAnne
GumbyAnne Posts: 130 Member
So, over the last year I have taken up running and I have gone from not being able to even run a mile on the treadmill, to regularly running 2, 3, and 4 miles with no walking at least twice a week on the treadmill. Now that it is spring I have been trying to run outside and finding that I can't go nearly as far without walking when I am out on the road.

I decided to give it another try today. My sister plotted a jogging course through my parents' neighborhood that is 2 miles long and I planned to run it twice in a row. My goal for today was just to run most of the way on the first lap and try not to have something of a decent time but obviously not as good as my treadmill time for that distance.

Well I managed to actually run THE WHOLE WAY on my first 2-mile lap and felt great about it when I stopped home for a quick drink of water. I set out for a second go at it but planned to alternate walking and jogging. I jogged and jogged and for some reason, never felt like walking. I got close to the halfway point and decided to take a longcut that I knew would add a mile to my distance, planning to walk most of the way back. I kept planning to start walking at the next landmark, but then when I would get there I would feel fine and want to run on. Finally I found myself less than a mile from home and picked up the pace to the finish. I ran the whole 3 MILES outside right after running the whole 2 MILES outside!

I was kicking myself for not timing it, but then as I was stopping in the driveway, my iPod stopped playing and I remembered that my running playlist is exactly 60 minutes, and that I had paused it during my water stop.

Today I ran 5 miles in 60 minutes! That is a steady 5 mph on the street and if you had asked me this moring whether I was capable of doing that, I would have said "Are you kidding? Of course not."

I am so excited to have the whole summer ahead of me to conquer that road!

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Great job! Running outside is so much more difficult than the treadmill. Way to stick with it!
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    That is so inspiring, thank you for posting it!!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness!!! That is amazing! Congratulations on such a victory!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker: What did your family say? Were they surprised? I bet it was so fun to accomplish this! Bask in the glory!

D
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing! I just start C25k last week! This makes me so excited for whats to come!
  • skatjon
    skatjon Posts: 29
    Options
    Congratulations!!! That is awesome... keep it up! The hardest part is mentally telling yourself you can do it and when that happens you WILL DO IT!
  • GumbyAnne
    GumbyAnne Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My parents were excited for me. One of my sisters was pointedly uninterested. She kinda resents my weight loss and has told me so. You see, we used to be fat together. It's ok though, I still love her! She will get there herself eventually.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    WOW! I have to get there one of these days! I hate running, but reading your story made me want to get up and run!:happy:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Great job! I'm so glad you posted this here. Stories like this are my favorite aspect of this site!!!! :)
    I started running / jogging with the Cto5k - doing outdoor routes - usually with hills. I have never tried treadmill running and assumed it would be harder (no scenery to pass the time). Now I'm curious!!!! Maybe my regular 3.1 outdoors with hills would translate into an easy 4 or 4.5??? I just wonder what pace!!!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    That's great! It's amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it. You've lost 60 pounds and you can run 5 miles in an hour, there's nothing stopping you!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    My parents were excited for me. One of my sisters was pointedly uninterested. She kinda resents my weight loss and has told me so. You see, we used to be fat together. It's ok though, I still love her! She will get there herself eventually.

That is a tough one. Maybe watching your success will help motivate her to do it herself. After all, if you can do it she can. Congratulations on your new-found fitness. That's amazing.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    YAY for you!! That is awesome! :flowerforyou:
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - that sounds like such a breakthrough moment.

I have been wanting to take up jogging for awhile (there is an awesome trail by my building), but I am too self conscious about all my jiggly parts jiggling. So you started on a treadmill, any pointers for beginners?
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    oooohhh! such an inspiration! i just started the couch to 5k and can't fathom running what you did, but i hope to follow in your footsteps! congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!