Good Protien Sources

I'm looking for protien sources that are on the inexpensive side. Meat is really expensive and I can't always cook at lunch time. Any ideas?

Replies

• julesan902
    julesan902 Posts: 79 Member
    Tuna, lean chicken, turkey, extra lean ground beef, cheap whey protein (which you can buy at wal mart), greek yogourt (plain - no flavours) and cottage cheese.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    dried beans and lentils are excellent sources of protein, minerals, fiber, really superb compared to meat and super cheap, you can easily get enought for a week for around $2
    canned beans are slightly more, still much cheaper than meat, and very convenient
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage Cheese
    Egg whites
    protein powder - one container last me two months ($46.00 /30 =153 per day for mone month) and you can mix it with yogurt, oatmeal...the possibilities are endless.
    canned tuna - super cheap
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Eggs. We like to get two dozen eggs when we go shopping and boil one dozen to have on hand for the week and the other carton is for cooking. They have protein as well as vitamins b6, b12, d, and e and probably other stuff I don't know about.

ETA:
    Read this before choosing egg whites over the whole egg
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Egg-White-Vs-Egg-Yolk-Which-Better-364527
  • Peanut butter and nuts are good protein sources. Natural peanut butters and almonds or cashews. You have to watch your nut serving though because of fats.
    Those are only a couple I can think of off the top of my head.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Liver and other organ meats, canned oily fish like sardines and mackerel.
  • rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    I'm looking for protien sources that are on the inexpensive side. Meat is really expensive and I can't always cook at lunch time. Any ideas?

Include Sprouts and Eggs.