What to eat on a hangover day?

Options
So... just being honest here. An old friend came into town last night and it's been a hangover kind of day. I don't drink like that all the time so all I've really had is Gatorade and water today because I've had no appetite... but feel better now. So, I have a two-part question:

1. Do I need to log everything I drank last night? Obviously my Food Diary is going to be terrible today anyway, haha. No way to get around that.

2. What do you recommend to eat healthy today? I was thinking soup would be a good start.

Bonus points if anyone knows a good food/drink that helps when you're feeling like this! =]

Replies

• sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    at least twice as much water as a normal day
    antioxidant rich foods would be good too, like greens, fruit, etc.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    yes log your drinks...yes its going to make your diary unpretty-so what, it happens...be accountable. agree with double or even triple the water, if you are feeling like crap, you are dehydrated...drink, drink, and then drink some more. Im not going to lie, healthy is usually not in my vocabulary after a night of drinking...im usually starving as the alcohol has sucked all nutrients out of my body..and i eat anything..and everything.
  • LaurenRosePR
    LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @Sanura- Why didn't I think of antioxidants! Thank you. =]

@Tararocks- Haha and that is exactly why I turned to MFP instead of going straight to the greasy foods! I'm definitely drinking plenty of water today!

Is it just me or do you have to have that night every now and then that reminds you exactly why you can't party like a college freshmen anymore? =]
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Yea log all of it.. if you can remember it.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    haha! I think those kind of reminders do help us in the long run!
  • LaurenRosePR
    Options

Haha! Luckily I can remember it. =]
  • Jerri11
    Jerri11 Posts: 12
    Options
    Strangest cure I read about ever, but tried it - pickle juice! Low in calories but loaded with sodium, follow up with double the amount of water you'd usually drink a day. Works every time!
  • wildcata77
    Options

Haha! Luckily I can remember it. =]

Then you didn't drink as much as you think. ;)

My New Year's hangover cure was waffle house, but that wouldn't be very helpful to you today!
  • LaurenRosePR
    Options
    Well, I did just remember that I ate pizza rolls last night.

Apparently I was 21 and 10 years old last night, haha. I have made the Waffle House run after drinking before... never feels good the next day haha!
  • LaurenRosePR
    Options
    Strangest cure I read about ever, but tried it - pickle juice! Low in calories but loaded with sodium, follow up with double the amount of water you'd usually drink a day. Works every time!

Pickle juice?! Really? That is definitely something that never crossed my mind. I might have to try it, though I don't like pickles much!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Log what you can rememember.

Eat lots of vegetables and a couple pieces of fruit.

Have some nice healthy fats like steak , salmon, and avocados as it may help with the metabolism of alcohol. (Well, it does in rats anyway)
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    healthy fats!
  • Jerri11
    Jerri11 Posts: 12
    Options
    I know! I found it by googling it one time. I couldn't believe it was a "cure".... after it worked, I told my hubby and he said, "Oh yeah, that's how the Philly Eagles beat the Cowboys one year in the playoffs - the entire team followed this regiment (not hung over) but it serves to super hydrate you if you follow it up with tons of water and they beat them that year they did that...who knew? I thought it was odd, but it definitely made me feel better than if I never drank at all. I keep a jar just in case now, never goes bad!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps me with a hangover is grease!!! McDonald's or a big fry up.... This is why I don't drink very often!!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Menudo or chilaquiles.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

Bonus points if anyone knows a good food/drink that helps when you're feeling like this! =]

Toast and coffee. A few years ago when I was drinking regularly (to the point where I didn't get hangovers on my usual amount) my favorite bar switched from Ketel to Grey Goose, and I ended up spending the night at my parents house with a horrific hangover. My father made me toast and coffee, and wow- it helped immensely. Maybe try it?
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Inquiring minds definitely want to know!! I heard V8 helps!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Increase your B Vitamins intake today (helps your liver) and drink plenty of water, pedialyte is also great as it hydrates well and has far less sugar than Gatorade. As silly as it sounds you should also have a single meal of bacon and pizza as it is helpful will the hangover sick feeling.

Hope you feel better! It's good to have a fun night out once in a while :)
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I used to have the serious munchies on hangover days, and would use it as an excuse to binge. On the odd occassion I have had too much to drink recently, I have found that I no longer need to overeat. I put it down to eating 5-6 times a day, eating more protein and drinking plenty of water.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or do you have to have that night every now and then that reminds you exactly why you can't party like a college freshmen anymore? =]
    Yes! I definitely have those. I log all my drinks, even though it's ugly because it's honest. The hangover has me drinking tons of water and eating greasy food. It hardly ever happens, so it doesn't mess up my weight loss.Good luck surviving the day :-)