Fit-Bit???????

Options
So I have seen MFP peeps talking about this fit-bit thing and I have looked on the site to try and gain some insight. I thought I would ask you guys. What exactly is fit-bit used for? Those of you who have one, can you explain this device to me a little better and explain your experience with it? I want to know if this is something that would benefit me. Thanks guys, you all rock!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It is like a super fancy pedometer. It counts your steps through the day (and people use it to motivate themselves to get in more steps). I have the older version and it also tracks sleep and flights of stairs. I know at least one of the newer models doesn't do this. I love mine.
  • dani_alaine
    Options
    @ready2rock206: do you notice a difference in your results since you started using it? If you dont mind explaining that is :)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If you do a search on here- you'll find lots of threads. Also google it to look at their website and other reviews.
  • jessjoye
    jessjoye Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this one back up to the top because I have been thinking about buying one too, but not sure if it is worth the money... any one else out there have advice?
  • lisamalizia
    Options
    I have a fitbit. I purchased it from Brookstones. I've been wearing it since 12/20/12. It really makes you want to move...lol. Once you put in your initial info, height, weight, etc...it will track how many steps you've taken, convert it to miles and how many calories you've burned. I have an IPhone and their is an app on their that you can use. Just tap your fitbit and tap the app and you can see your results without looking at your fitbit. I keep mine on all day. It's fastened to my bra so this app helps me because I obviously can not look at my device during the day. It also comes with a wireless thing that plugs into your computer. I have mine plugged in at work so I can track my progress all day whether on my phone, computer or the actual device. It also has the ability to track your food intake. I do not use this feature since I track my food on Myfitnesspal only.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I highly recommend this product.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit. I purchased it from Brookstones. I've been wearing it since 12/20/12. It really makes you want to move...lol. Once you put in your initial info, height, weight, etc...it will track how many steps you've taken, convert it to miles and how many calories you've burned. I have an IPhone and their is an app on their that you can use. Just tap your fitbit and tap the app and you can see your results without looking at your fitbit. I keep mine on all day. It's fastened to my bra so this app helps me because I obviously can not look at my device during the day. It also comes with a wireless thing that plugs into your computer. I have mine plugged in at work so I can track my progress all day whether on my phone, computer or the actual device. It also has the ability to track your food intake. I do not use this feature since I track my food on Myfitnesspal only.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I highly recommend this product.

Everything she said !! My daughter got me one for my Bday in December and I love it! I returned the favor and got one for her for Christmas. We are now in competition to see who moves more! We are "friends" on the fitbit site only, not in MfP so we can see each others achievements. This is a sedentary week for me (studying) so its not recording as much activity. I absolutely see it asa a motivator to increase my number of steps, stairs, etc and since I use a cpap, i am also intrigued by the sleep functionality. Takes a bit of tweaking to sync and adjust the calorie part, i have it set to show negative calories in my food diary which is also a motivator. Brookstone had 2 styles, one about $99 and one for about $50. Feel free to send me a message if you have more questions, and the technical threads are very helpful too with the settings,etc. i have at least 2 MFP friends that use them, and 2 more considering getting one!
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've had the fitbit for about a month now. Has it made me move more, I'm not really sure, I think so. I am surprised at how many steps I get in during the day considering I have a desk Job. I am a bit of a geek so I enjoy the way it syncs with the computer and with MFP. Its a bit pricey, but it's worth the money IMHO.

I do notice that when I am wearing it, I tend to take the longer route to get somewhere, even if that means walking the outer edge of the office rather than straight thru.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    @ready2rock206: do you notice a difference in your results since you started using it? If you dont mind explaining that is :)

I keep the negative adjustment on here (if you don't move enough in a day it takes away exercise calories instead of giving you calories) which is extra motivation to get my butt up and moving on those days when I just want to sit on the couch. (There's an option to turn that off). I think there's a lot of days I would do less movement, but looking down at a low number makes me get up and move it!

Also if you want to add some extra fun motivation link it up with Earnd it. There's challenges every week to win prizes, but you also earn points to get free stuff or donate to charity (my son likes to use my points for charity - he helped give a family in another country a goat.)
    http://earnd.it/N9U0MB
  • jessjoye
    jessjoye Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the good advice! Another question... is there a difference in the models/types? Of course besides price :)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    The Ultra is the old one and can be bought cheaper on some sites. This has to be linked with a computer. The two new ones are more water resistant and syc with iPhone 4S and later and ipad 3. The One does stairs, sleep and a vibrating alarm which the Zip doesn't.
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It also syncs with MFP so you can just enter everything you do here and it adjust everything super easily! I have had mine for about a month and really like it.

I also use the negative calorie adjustment.
  • 4CVP
    4CVP Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I got one for Christmas too and love it. It does make you want to move. I also like the gentle alarm that wakes you for early morning gym. It sends you a weely progess report to your email/phone. I highly recommend it. Also you can compete with your friends to see who is the most active.
  • ourglasswalls
    ourglasswalls Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my fitbit. My boyfriend has one too. We feel lost on days without it. Many times I think I did a lot but my fitbit keeps me in check. Its a goal that's fun to reach. It makes you realizes those little things can eventually add up. Sitting on your butt all day and working out hard at night sometimes just simply not enough. But if I get up every hour and walk a bit it starts to add up quickly. Keep moving!! :)
  • brisweeney
    Options
    Have been using one since November. It does give you that extra nudge. I like the feedback of what im doing (or also not doing).

I have the Fitbit One.

http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireless-Activity-Sleep-Tracker/dp/B0095PZHPE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357252453&sr=8-2&keywords=fitbit+ultra

It works with MFP in that it will add calories when you earn them and SUBTRACT them when you arent active. Overall the $100 pricetag is worth it in my opinion. I has increased my desire to "hit a number" then see the results in MFP. Not saying that im using it to pig out, but it does allow you some extra cushion in calories when you have a night out.

It also rewards you with "badges" for things as 10K steps in a day, or 500 lifetime miles. The website is really good and so is the IOS app. You will want to fiddle with the calories on the fitbit web side to match your expected burn and calorie intake to keep them "in tune" with eachother (not necessary, but it keeps every-app on the same page).

It caused such a change in my habits that my wife got one too. She loves it also!

So, in short. fitbit YES !
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Before I got a HRM for Christmas the ability to time activities was a better way of working out cals burned for some things (treadmill/elliptical/Wii stuff) but for others I had to use the machine readouts (cycle, rower and as it is not waterproof, I had to take MFPs larger estimates for things like swimming)

Now it just comes with me for the entire day (except shower and pool) and I link it here and gain cals through the adjustment as well as what ever I burn and slightly more accurately record with a HRM.

I have to be really honest and say that it doesn't make me move any more than I do with my work out sessions and general up and down stairs during the day - recovering from injuries and it's just not worth making things worse to get a badge.
    But I know a lot of people who LOVE that element and at the end of the day it is all about helping people achieve their incised fitness goals... What I do instead (on one of the fitbit community groups) is use whatever I have earned in a number of imaginative challenges that people have come up with ... But as I only bought it to see out of interest how much I burned a day I'm good with how it works in my routine,
    As an aside though ... It is interesting to see how it matches up to my estimated TDEE (normally about 100 cals +\- depending in if it is a gym or a stretch day)

I also LOVE the sleep tracker - I was suffering a lot with stress before I quit my job to become a writer ... And my sleep patterns were just horrible. This has really helped me understand the patterns of my waking and thrashing when there is a lot on my mind ... For that alone it was worth the money!
  • tab701
    tab701 Posts: 9
    Options
    Love mine, on my second one as my first one accidentally split . I would recommend getting a square trade warranty on one if you do get one. They took care of me when I broke the first one and I had enough to get my second one. I have had a fit bit for about a year.