STARVING all day- please HELP!

I don't know if it's because I just started my period (sorry if that's TMI), need to re-shrink my stomach, or am eating wrong but I've been starving the past 3 days back on MFP. I would love advice. Note that I am committed to being lacto-ovo vegetarian (no flame wars please) and cannot change up the timing of my morning snacks because I'm a teacher. I drink a minimum of 8 cups of water daily. Here's the breakdown of what I ate today:

Breakfast 5:00 AM

Kashi - Heart to Heart Oat Flakes & Blueberry Clusters, 1 cup
Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 0.5 cup

Snack 7:30 AM

Clementine
Kashi Banana Chocolate Chip Soft N'chewy Bars

Snack 10:00 AM

Chobani Flip - Greek Yogurt-Vanilla Chocolate Chip W/ Raspberry

Lunch 1:00 PM

Salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded carrot, 1/2 cup black beans, Morningstar Fake Chicken Patty, & oil vinegar dressing

Snack 3:00 PM

Clementine

Dinner
Barilla - Whole Grain Whole Wheat Penne Pasta 1 cup
Homemade Vegetable Stew (Potatoes, kidney beans, carrots, turnips, in tomato base etc.)

Total Calories: 1530 (Same as daily goal to lose 1 lb./week)
Total Protein: 61 grams (MFP says goal is 51, but I always go over intentionally)
Fiber: 45 grams (Isn't this supposed to keep you full longer?!)

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Replace some of the carbs with protein and quit eating fake foods. It will take a few days for your body to adjust to the new calories as well.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Are you craving something? It might be a TOM thing. Maybe try a piece of chocolate.

MFP sets protein way low. You could try eating more protein. If I personally at that many carbs, I'd probably still be starving as well, but I have one of those wonky sugar sensitive systems.

Possibly eat more fat. Trade out one of your granola or fruit snacks for some cheese?

Way to go on eating so much fiber.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Yep you need to up your protein and also healthy fats as they are both your friend and will make you feel fuller for longer
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    It looks to me like you might be eating too many sugars (the cereal, the cereal bars), which can stimulate your appetite rather than satisfy you. I find that a breakfast of oatmeal with 1 tablespoon of raisins and 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter will keep me satisfied for hours while crunchy cereal with milk will have me hungry again within the hour. I think the key is getting some healthy fat, whole grains, and proteins into each meal.

(but my diet is still a work in progress with a lot of room for improvement)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Replace some of the carbs with protein and quit eating fake foods. It will take a few days for your body to adjust to the new calories as well.

This ^^

Also find that too much fruit can stimulate the appetite, personally.
    I would replace one of those pieces of fruit with some nuts or more greek yoghurt.
    A favourite for me that is filling is to get a small pot of total fage greek yoghurt and add in some pb2/peanut flour, a little honey or stevia, and some oats(I use bench pressed oats which have chunks of banana or chocolate protein mixed in and is totally natural ingredients).
    But yes, add in some nuts, for sure, and maybe some cottage cheese or eggs instead of those artificial snack bars and cereals.
  • Looking at all the things your eating (grain type stuff ) would make me starve as well! I can eat a bowl of cereal in the morning and actually feel hungrier than if I did not eat anything all! Like the post above I'd try to get in some more protein, and healthy fats.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    more protein, more healthy fats. period. You're not eating that great. It looks good on paper, but as far as feeding your body properly, it's not cutting it.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    The combination of fibre, water, protein and fats confer satiety, not fibre alone: your diet looks fairly carb heavy and there is probably a fair bit of sugar so your blood glucose may be peaking and troughing. You have twice as many sweet meals/ snacks as savoury.

Try increasing your low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables to nine servings a day starting at breakfast, have either protein or healthy fats at breakfast in all your snacks and at dinner (?nuts/ seeds), reduce foods which contain added sugar/ are refined/ processed to maximum 10% daily calories. MFP protein goal is the minimum, not an ideal.

Are you taking a marine algae supplement for long chain omega-3s? You look very low on essential fatty acids. Don't think you are hitting the recommended dairy servings either - milk serving is 200ml, yoghurt 150g and then you need a third - this would give you a little more protein as well as minerals. Both omega-3s and calcium are associated with lower body fat in research.

HTH.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    All I have to say about this is TOM....it happens....

I'd say get more protein in the morning to get you through the day.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    I teach too. I keep jars of flavored almonds in my classroom and eat those with a cup of milk when it is Snack Time for the kids. It's made a big difference in how I feel the rest of the morning.

But it really could be your period, too. Many women feel famished during that time.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    I was a vegetarian for years and did a vegan diet for long time - I was always sort of hungry unless I way overate. I eat lean protein now (eggs/chicken/turkey) and can feel full on far less calories than I did on a carb heavy diet.

If you are committed to being lacto-ovo, add some eggs, quinoa, tempeh, more beans, etc. Eat less of the Kashi stuff. The processed foods, IMHO, just are not filling.
  • EAT MORE PROTEIN!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I'm always hungrier during my TOM. I go ahead and eat a bit more, maybe a couple hundred extra calories.
  • NoExcusesJenn
    NoExcusesJenn Posts: 24 Member
    pump up the fiber!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Where's the beef?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    You are eating too many carbs and not enough protein.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Yep you need to up your protein and also healthy fats as they are both your friend and will make you feel fuller for longer

I agree with this, as well as the too much sugar thing. I know the cereal bar types are quick and easy, but you might consider setting aside a day to make your own- there are tons of recipes on the internet, and many can be made using honey (yes, its still a sweetener but used in moderation it has good qualities that regular sugar does not have) or date paste instead of sugar. Try adding some foods that "stick" with ya a littler longer- some almond butter on a piece of toast with fruit tends to stick with me for a while, and I am pregnant- so I do tend to get hungry more often. With all that said, it very well could be because of it being TOM for you- some women experience a slightly quicker metabolism during that time. Maybe consider eating a tad more on those days, to offset that. Good luck from a fellow vegetarian :)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    I don't know if it's because I just started my period (sorry if that's TMI), need to re-shrink my stomach, or am eating wrong but I've been starving the past 3 days back on MFP. I would love advice. Note that I am committed to being lacto-ovo vegetarian (no flame wars please) and cannot change up the timing of my morning snacks because I'm a teacher. I drink a minimum of 8 cups of water daily. Here's the breakdown of what I ate today:

Breakfast 5:00 AM

Kashi - Heart to Heart Oat Flakes & Blueberry Clusters, 1 cup
    Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 0.5 cup

Snack 7:30 AM

Clementine
    Kashi Banana Chocolate Chip Soft N'chewy Bars

Snack 10:00 AM

Chobani Flip - Greek Yogurt-Vanilla Chocolate Chip W/ Raspberry

Lunch 1:00 PM

Salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded carrot, 1/2 cup black beans, Morningstar Fake Chicken Patty, & oil vinegar dressing

Snack 3:00 PM

Clementine

Dinner
    Barilla - Whole Grain Whole Wheat Penne Pasta 1 cup
    Homemade Vegetable Stew (Potatoes, kidney beans, carrots, turnips, in tomato base etc.)

Total Calories: 1530 (Same as daily goal to lose 1 lb./week)
    Total Protein: 61 grams (MFP says goal is 51, but I always go over intentionally)
    Fiber: 45 grams (Isn't this supposed to keep you full longer?!)

Yikes, way too much sugar (and sugar spurs appetite in addition to being just plain empty calories which you cannot afford on a calorie restricted diet). Try cutting out all sugar, keeping your carbs between 100 and 200 grams per day (with the higher amount on the heavy workout days) and cutting out all added sugar and foods with added sugar. Also, you should add a bit of fat---keeps the hungries away longer. Your appetite should be much easier to control that way. I used to be a sugar/wheat addict and got very fat that way. I have lost 50 pounds just by eliminating sugar and wheat, which also spurs appetite because of its gliaden content (not gluten, g-l-i-a-d-e-n). I am NEVER hungry and have solved several health problems (high blood pressure and arthritis and when I lose another 50 pounds, I will be a normal weight again). :smile: I would be starving on your diet too.

p.s. You can add me so that you can check my food diary for ideas. My 1,500 to 1,700 calories looks a LOT different from yours.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    The combination of fibre, water, protein and fats confer satiety, not fibre alone: your diet looks fairly carb heavy and there is probably a fair bit of sugar so your blood glucose may be peaking and troughing. You have twice as many sweet meals/ snacks as savoury.

Try increasing your low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables to nine servings a day starting at breakfast, have either protein or healthy fats at breakfast in all your snacks and at dinner (?nuts/ seeds), reduce foods which contain added sugar/ are refined/ processed to maximum 10% daily calories. MFP protein goal is the minimum, not an ideal.

Are you taking a marine algae supplement for long chain omega-3s? You look very low on essential fatty acids. Don't think you are hitting the recommended dairy servings either - milk serving is 200ml, yoghurt 150g and then you need a third - this would give you a little more protein as well as minerals. Both omega-3s and calcium are associated with lower body fat in research.

HTH.

Wow, that's some great advice and a lot of info packed in there. Nice!
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    I have lost 171 pounds since August of 2011. In the old days, before getting serious about my health, I was fat because I was hungry ALL the time. The hunger signal didn't turn off till I was stuffed! Well, a medical problem caused me to get the motivation to go cold-turkey off of all sugar, and even most fruits. After a month or so, I realized I wasn't hungry all the time any more! Now, I never had any blood sugar "problem", but I am guessing that the foods I was eating were constantly spiking my blood sugar levels, causing feelings of hunger, even though I had just had way too many calories! I also suspect that my new dietary habits, which is vegetarian and LOTS of vegetables is probably making me feel fed because I am finally getting adequate NUTRITION.

I notice that many things on your list have sugars in them. I'll bet your cereal in the morning does. Then your AM snack is fruit sugar and a cookie. Your next snack is a flavored yogurt that no doubt has sugar, also. See the trend? all that sugar in the first part of the day might be part of the problem.

Try some protein with no sugar, like a hardboiled egg white or two. Consider an asian-style stir fry, with minimal brown rice, and LOTS of vegetables. Or plain oatmeal, and a low glycemic fruit like raspberries or blueberries. I actually enjoy plain old peas and carrots for breakfast, sometimes! Filling, low calorie and nutritious! Maybe snack on vegetables, too, or at least low glycemic fruits with some nuts. Maybe celery filled with almond butter? The nice thing about vegetables is that you can eat them till you are full, and not have too many calories. I have found that juicing fresh vegetables makes me feel really good, too!

Experiment, and find out what foods work for you! Good luck, and easy on the sugars!