exercise with fibromyalgia and joint pain

Options
hi, any exercises or suggestions would be great. i have fibromyagia (muscle and joint inflammation) and mild osteo-arthritis. my muscles get tired very quickly and low floor exercises are nearly impossible. i have have a lot of lower back pain,knee pain and hip pain. i know my core strength is very weak and was wondering if anyone had any effective exercises that wont put me in agony for weeks. im desperate for strengthening tummy muscles and back strengthening exercises. thanks xx

Replies

• LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My sister had "fibromyalgia" for about 12 years when we stumbled on the fact that our family had a genetic mutation shared by as much as 30% of the US population.

The MTHFR mutation blocks your body's absorption of B vitamins and folic acid because the protein that receives them is shaped wrong.

My sister ordered and took the methylated form of B vitamins and folic acid last December (2011) and her fibromyalgia all but disappeared within a week. For example, within two weeks of starting methylated vitamins, she drove 1,400 miles straight through (no stopping at a hotel overnight)...the same drive she used to struggle to make in 3 days. She literally got her life back.

MTHFR.net has more information. This site makes it sound like MTHFR causes everything, and I can tell you that it does. If you want more information with our experience, private message me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Look up isometric exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • moodyblue10369
    Options
    thankyou both very much. i will look into these suggestions first thing in the morning x
  • susybon
    susybon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have had fibromyalgia for almost 13 years. When I started trying to exercise a year ago I started very slowly with walking on the treadmill. Some days I did have more pain, but I continued to move. I was gradually able to do more and more. I added an elliptical starting with just a few minutes. About this same time I read an article about using Bragg's apple cider vinegar and organic coconut oil. I added both of those things in my plan. Over time I was able to start running, which did cause some hip pain for a while, but I persisted. I am pretty stubborn and was tired of being controlled by the fibro. I have gone from taking prescription pain meds daily to nothing. I very seldom have any pain and when I do it isn't bad enough to take anything. I am now able to exercise hard and love it! I have run a 5k,did 30 day shred and just started lifting. I still get muscle soreness when starting something new like lifting weights, but it passes. I feel so much better and can do so much more. I just went slow and stuck with it. If you have any questions feel free to message me. Before this past year I had tried so many things, all with no real help. I also was told that I had pre osteo-arthritis about ten years ago. I am 56 and have lost 36 lbs. Also take thyroid meds daily for hypothyroidism but have been able to cut back on those this year as well. Hope you find something that works for you! Blessings...
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Look in to local hospitals and rehab facilities for a warm water therapy/exercise pool. Sign up for aquatics. It feels amazing, and lots of times, if you have medical conditions, you can get an Rx from your doctor and get a discount on the cost.
  • moodyblue10369
    Options
    as youve experienced this then you know its worth trying anything just to be rid of the pain. so i will be investigating this further. im so pleased it worked for you :) i just googled loramora's suggestion and it do appear i have a few of the symptoms. miscarriages, prem birth due to placental abruption and migraines. i will definately look closer into this theory. thankyou x
  • trishtrish1
    trishtrish1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have you tried water walking in a swimming pool? :)
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I, too, had fibro & osteo. I felt better when I excercised & was very stiff when I didn't.

I started in the warm water therapy pool & also did water aerobics at the club.

I met someone who told me about eating Paleo, and she had fibro symptoms as well, which disappeared after she changed her diet.

Skeptical, I gave it a try. In less than a month I could tell a huge difference.

I felt better than I had in years - it really is the magic potion for me! I still eat paleo, not all the time, but most of the time, and I can tell when I eat things I shouldn't. I really don't even want to eat those things anymore, most of the time.

I highly recommend it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have fibro, lupus, and CFS. At first I just walked, but now I also do pilates. The pilates seems to really help my muscle pain. Ask your rheumatologist what kind of exercise is ok for you.
  • LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Moodyblue, we found this mutation because a different sister kept having miscarriages. Finally, a doctor tested her for this mutation and helped her save her pregnancy. (As a side note, she was also susceptable to migraines.)

This was very fortunate to find out because 5 out of 6 of us siblings also had the two MTHFR mutations (667 and 1298). The very odd collection of diseases in the MTHFR.net site occur sporadically throughout our large family, except, fortunately, the mental disorders. Each of the siblings (and some of their children) just has a few MTHFR problems, but many of them are different from the other. Researching MTHFR helped us peice the puzzle together.

One thing we've consistently found is that doctors pooh-pooh this mutation as only affecting whether you have miscarriages. This is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE. Anything that depends upon having folic acid, B vitamins and magnesium will be affected by this mutation. Early heart attacks, immune disorders, fibromyalgia, miscarriages, migraines, neural tube defects, esophogeal deformities, inability to process heavy metals out of your system, etc. Fortunately, those affected have one or two each and not the whole list.

An aunt was in the process of dying from heavy metals overload (she had received a common MRI contrast with guadalinium, which is a metal). She went to Mayo Clinic and all kinds of doctors but they couldn't find her problem (or even think to test her metal levels). They had no idea what she was dying of. Then, at 68 years old, she realized she was literally becoming autistic. When my sister got this MTHFR diagnosis, and we studied it, we realized the information might help my aunt. My aunt was tested for it (positive) and then suddenly light was shed on her problem. MTHFR inhibits your natural capability to dispose of metals in your system. They tested her metals, which were off the charts. She began the long journey of detoxing the heavy metals from her system and giving her body the B vitamins, magnesium and folic acid it had starved for her whole life. Two years later and she is mostly out of the woods, but still fighting to keep her health improving.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I suggest swimming if possible, that's about as pain free as you can get. I do a lot of low impact indoor walking, while carrying little hand weights like 1 to 3 lbs. I would also try some Yoga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

This is a video of a man who had trouble walking, but with the help of Yoga he lost weight and can run! It's very inspirational!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    My sister had "fibromyalgia" for about 12 years when we stumbled on the fact that our family had a genetic mutation shared by as much as 30% of the US population.

The MTHFR mutation blocks your body's absorption of B vitamins and folic acid because the protein that receives them is shaped wrong.

My sister ordered and took the methylated form of B vitamins and folic acid last December (2011) and her fibromyalgia all but disappeared within a week. For example, within two weeks of starting methylated vitamins, she drove 1,400 miles straight through (no stopping at a hotel overnight)...the same drive she used to struggle to make in 3 days. She literally got her life back.

MTHFR.net has more information. This site makes it sound like MTHFR causes everything, and I can tell you that it does. If you want more information with our experience, private message me.

Great info! I have fibromyalgia and psoriatic arthritis and I don't think I get the relief I should. I might have to check into this. I just keep pushing through hoping that my weight loss will make a difference. Going to start lifting soon, little afraid of what my body will do though.